Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt Cassell to the Chiefs?

Default Matt Cassell to the Chiefs?

Just looking on espn.com and saw that rumor running around. Thoughts anyone?

I had heard that Pioli was a master of trading draft picks to always improve each draft pick. If there is any truth to the rumor, I would have to think at a minimum we swap first round picks, and acquire Cassell.

MAN I hope this is not true!!!!!

If this is really going to happen I would feel better about us swapping 1st and the Pats also give us BOTH of there 2nd round picks

SOOO

Chiefs get
    23rd overall
    47th overall
    58th overall
    Matt Cassel

Pats get
    3rd overall

I know this sounds like a LOT, but if you REALLY REALLY look at the values you will see that we are still giving up about a late 1st or early 2nd round pick for Cassel.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    I don't understand the Cassel hype. Yeah, he came in and did a good job filling in for Brady. The guy hadn't done squat before then. Thigpen is just as capable as Cassel. Cassel had a much better supporting cast to work with. I think it would be a huge mistake to give any draft picks to bring him here. Cassel has no real tangible benefit over Thigpen.
    Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself. If you put a decent line in front of Thigpen I'm not saying he'll be better but I'd be shocked if he wasn't as good. Now people wanna throw away the chance to get a good line by giving up a 1st round pick plus who know what else?? Boggles my mind. Use this years draft and FA to shore up both sides of the line and then use next year to draft your QotF. By then we'll have an idea of what Thigpen can or can't do and can have possibly used FA to get a new QB.
    I agree with what you guys are saying as far as giving Thig his chance, but "the hype" about Cassel is that he came in week 1 after Brady went down and won 11 games and should have been in the playoffs. The fact that he "hadn't done squat until then" is because he was playing behind Brady. Brady hadn't done squat until Bledsoe fot hurt. Don't let your Patriot hating blind you to the fact that Cassel is a pretty competent QB. I am not going to compare Cassel and Thig because Cassel has had more time to learn his system however I would not be opposed (for the right price) to entertain the idea of having them both compete for the starter job so that our starting two QBs could be Thigpen/Cassel instead of Thigpen/Croyle.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I am curious what Thigpen would have done this year if he didn't have Tony G. I like Thigpen, but I have a feeling if Tony G. wasn't on this team, there would be no discussion of Thigpen getting a chance to be the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I am curious what Thigpen would have done this year if he didn't have Tony G. I like Thigpen, but I have a feeling if Tony G. wasn't on this team, there would be no discussion of Thigpen getting a chance to be the man.
    Sad but 100% true. TG was basically a safety valve every play. If nobody was open then he threw it in Tony's direction, regardless of how many guys were on him. This is why I think we really need to bring in a backup plan. Thigpen is still very much a wildcard at this point. Will he be terrible when TG is no longer around or if we switch to a more traditional offense? Will he better way better when the OL is improved?

woulda.coulda.shoulda.

He did have TG, so he did what he did. And if we are what ifing, what if cassel didnt have Randy moss and Wes Welker nad a competent run game and o-line?

If TG isn't here this year, the passes will go to cottam or bowe, cuase they have to go somewhere~

Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    woulda.coulda.shoulda.

He did have TG, so he did what he did. And if we are what ifing, what if cassel didnt have Randy moss and Wes Welker nad a competent run game and o-line?

If TG isn't here this year, the passes will go to cottam or bowe, cuase they have to go somewhere~
    Cottam and Bowe are not Tony G. Fact, Bowe drops the ball without people even near him. He won't make the plays Tony made. If Tony G is not here this year, I have a feeling Thigpen will struggle. I love Thigpen and I want him to stay, but he was throwing balls to others like he did to Tony G, and they were getting picked or dropped.

A lot of Thigpen's success was Tony. I hope he able to build off that if Tony is gone, but it does raise some concern even for his fans.

Seek I agree with you, but how does that make Cassell a better solution?

Quote Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
    Seek I agree with you, but how does that make Cassell a better solution?
    Not necessarily a better solution, but having two wildcard QBs on your team versus one will always give you a better chance of having the QBOTF on your roster...

I really can't count how many times I saw Thigpen throw passes that Tony pulled down in double coverage or grabbed away from defenders this year. His completion % was already low, what would it have been if TG wasn't constantly pulling those balls in? Surely that has to scare you a little bit?

Sure Cassel had Moss and Welker, but his completion percentage was also 63% to Thigpen's 54%.

I don't think anyone is saying Cassel is some perfect QB. His accuracy is less than ideal and he moves out of the pocket too much. I just hate the idea of Thigpen being the only QB on the roster next season capable of starting when there's a lot of question marks.
    Last edited by yashi; 02-05-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Not necessarily a better solution, but having two wildcard QBs on your team versus one will always give you a better chance of having the QBOTF on your roster...

I really can't count how many times I saw Thigpen throw passes that Tony pulled down in double coverage or grabbed away from defenders this year. His completion % was already low, what would it have been if TG wasn't constantly pulling those balls in? Surely that has to scare you a little bit?
    There's an old saying - if you have two starting QBs you have no starting QBs. If we bring Cassell in, it won't be for a half-assed QB competition. He'll be anointed the starter. And if we stick with Thigpen, we won't have a meaningless open camp between Thigpen, Quinn Gray, and Brodie Croyle. Thigpen will be our starter.

The open competition for a QB spot nonsense never works.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast