Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Haley is our coach...

Default If Haley is our coach...

... then we will target Crabtree with our #3 pick. This doesn't mean that we will draft him but we will definitely be showing him a lot of love at the combine. I can easily see Pioli using the fact that we have a wideout coach leading the helm as a way to get teams who really want him to trade up with us. Right now, Seattle and Oakland have their sights on him and if we trade, we can still have a really good first round pick plus more. If that doesn't happen then I'd be happy with taking Crabman (which will be his new nickname for all you Earl fans out there). He's one of the few talents that will most likely earn the money he'd be getting.
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

if we pick any WR w/our first pick then our new coach had better work some magic w/our offensive line. any qb is going to be to busy running for his life to throw to the new guy. if our new regime goes after crabtree w/o shoring up both of the lines then i doubt if we'll much more success than w/herm

We can get a couple of FA's for the line. The WR (Crabtree) will help stretch the field, thus less defense in the box.

Or, If we trade the pic all is well in that scenario as well.

Don't think the O-Line doesn't realize they are being "reviewed" and I would anticipate better production in the coming year from anyone and everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    We can get a couple of FA's for the line. The WR (Crabtree) will help stretch the field, thus less defense in the box.

Or, If we trade the pic all is well in that scenario as well.

Don't think the O-Line doesn't realize they are being "reviewed" and I would anticipate better production in the coming year from anyone and everyone.
    They havent been getting "reviewed" for the past couple of years?

Sure we pick up three FA o-linemen, then we will not have enough money for both a big name DE and LB. It either has to be o-line or defense (which I dont like because the only people who can make an impact in the next 3 years are Maualuga and Curry, and 3 is too high for a LB). Those are the only positions that will make a difference within the next three years, and they are also areas that we have a SERIOUS need. We dont have a need at WR, we have a want. We have NEEDS (absolutely necessary upgrades to do any better next season) at OL, DL, LB. We have WANTS (i.e. it would be nice to get better) at QB, RB?, WR, and DB. TE and RB are our strongest positions at this point (depending on the futures of LJ and TG obviously) and WR is close behind them. It would be crazy to spend a 3rd pick on what is arguably our 3rd strongest position on this team.

Dont let Oakland get him. We should never trade with Oakland, especially for Crabtree. We dont need to have to try to cover him for the next 10 years.

Ok, so what if we take Crabttree with the #3. Then take Alex Mack with our 2nd round pick, then Phil Loadholt at #3.

That would make our line Albert, Waters, Mack, Niswanger, and Loadholt. Thigpen throwing to Bowe and Crabtree, with LJ and Charles in the backfield.

That offense will move the ball.

They would need to sign Vilma and Peppers and then this team would have made major strides.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Ok, so what if we take Crabttree with the #3. Then take Alex Mack with our 2nd round pick, then Phil Loadholt at #3.

That would make our line Albert, Waters, Mack, Niswanger, and Loadholt. Thigpen throwing to Bowe and Crabtree, with LJ and Charles in the backfield.

That offense will move the ball.

They would need to sign Vilma and Peppers and then this team would have made major strides.
    That would be a great draft if both those guys are available at 2 and 3. I personally think Mack will probably be gone by the end of the 1st, and Loadholt will be gone by the mid 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    They havent been getting "reviewed" for the past couple of years?

Sure we pick up three FA o-linemen, then we will not have enough money for both a big name DE and LB. It either has to be o-line or defense (which I dont like because the only people who can make an impact in the next 3 years are Maualuga and Curry, and 3 is too high for a LB). Those are the only positions that will make a difference within the next three years, and they are also areas that we have a SERIOUS need. We dont have a need at WR, we have a want. We have NEEDS (absolutely necessary upgrades to do any better next season) at OL, DL, LB. We have WANTS (i.e. it would be nice to get better) at QB, RB?, WR, and DB. TE and RB are our strongest positions at this point (depending on the futures of LJ and TG obviously) and WR is close behind them. It would be crazy to spend a 3rd pick on what is arguably our 3rd strongest position on this team.
    Yes they have been getting reviewed but on a lower level.

I swear...Most of you guys think that drafting 1rst round O-lineman every year is the answer as well. It isn't. Lineman are busts as well as QB's, RB's, DB's, etc etc.

There are some "good" lineman available in later rounds and in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Yes they have been getting reviewed but on a lower level.

I swear...Most of you guys think that drafting 1rst round O-lineman every year is the answer as well. It isn't. Lineman are busts as well as QB's, RB's, DB's, etc etc.

There are some "good" lineman available in later rounds and in FA.
    Well, you could say that about every position. But a 1st round OL has a much higher probability of coming in and contributing immediately with a much lower risk factor of being a 'bust'. Later round OL tend to be slower and can't hold on to their blocks as long as higher round OL.
    So you really do get what you pay for here.
    It stands to reason that for the most part, the best players are gonna be in the 1st couple rounds.
    And since we need to build our OL, why not grab the best available?
    That being said, I think Pioli is the best evaluater of talent out there and I'll stand behind whoever he decides...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Well, you could say that about every position. But a 1st round OL has a much higher probability of coming in and contributing immediately with a much lower risk factor of being a 'bust'. Later round OL tend to be slower and can't hold on to their blocks as long as higher round OL.
    So you really do get what you pay for here.
    It stands to reason that for the most part, the best players are gonna be in the 1st couple rounds.
    And since we need to build our OL, why not grab the best available?
    That being said, I think Pioli is the best evaluater of talent out there and I'll stand behind whoever he decides...
    Look at our first round lineman picks over the past 25 years and tell me which ones amounted to anything? Will Shields was a 3rd rounder and a good example of good folks left in the later rounds.

John Tait...LOL!

Look at the UFA and FA market for lineman right now. We can get a couple there for sure and if not, someone is riding the pine for another team that could be a starter OR there is a lineman in the later rounds. You have to remember...Our talent scouting has been POOR for many years. This will change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast