Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pioli and Big names

Default Pioli and Big names

I have been thinking of Piloi and his track record with NE. What I realized is that he isnt about the big names in Free Agency. Other than Randy Moss (who was more of a gamble after his stint in Oakland) he never spent big money on FA. I have no idea what that means for us as far as all the big name FAs being passed around (Peppers, Haynesworth, Suggs, Lewis, etc). He does have a good track record of putting together strong defenses, but with no FA superstars. The few big names they do sign are usually on the ugly side of their careers (Junior Seau) but tend to get the job done.

I have a feeling we may not be getting the big name guys, but instead a few guys who arent names you hear on ESPN all the time (i.e. Dansby, Vilma) who will get the job done.

Pioli did say in his press conference that he wanted to put together a strong successful team, not a team of all-stars.

Cant wait to see what this offseason will bring. At least with all the coaching and player drama we have something to talk about. haha

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I have been thinking of Piloi and his track record with NE. What I realized is that he isnt about the big names in Free Agency. Other than Randy Moss (who was more of a gamble after his stint in Oakland) he never spent big money on FA. I have no idea what that means for us as far as all the big name FAs being passed around (Peppers, Haynesworth, Suggs, Lewis, etc). He does have a good track record of putting together strong defenses, but with no FA superstars. The few big names they do sign are usually on the ugly side of their careers (Junior Seau) but tend to get the job done.

I have a feeling we may not be getting the big name guys, but instead a few guys who arent names you hear on ESPN all the time (i.e. Dansby, Vilma) who will get the job done.

Pioli did say in his press conference that he wanted to put together a strong successful team, not a team of all-stars.

Cant wait to see what this offseason will bring. At least with all the coaching and player drama we have something to talk about. haha
    He spent pretty decent money on LBs like Adalius Thomas and Roosevelt Colvin, a WR in Dante Stallworth, and a RB in Corey Dillon. But you're right for the most part. He hasn't gone after the big money guys - he's built through cheaper FAs and good drafts.

I still want Nnamdi Asomugha though - no matter the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

He spent pretty decent money on LBs like Adalius Thomas and Roosevelt Colvin, a WR in Dante Stallworth, and a RB in Corey Dillon. But you're right for the most part. He hasn't gone after the big money guys - he's built through cheaper FAs and good drafts.

Cornerback is the last position this team will go after, JM. No way they spend all that money on Nnamdi with all of the needs that must be filled.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Cornerback is the last position this team will go after, JM. No way they spend all that money on Nnamdi with all of the needs that must be filled.
    I know you're right. But I can dream, can't I?

Just the thought of lining Asomugha and Flowers on opposite sides, with Carr as the best nickel back in the league makes me happy.

I would hope that whether a person is a big name or not does not factor into piolis decision making, only what the player is capable of and its effects on theam (play/leadership/salary cap/etc). I am fairly confident that Pioli is a mature decision maker when it comes to players, and cant be razzle dazzled by big names, PR, or flashystuff like say.. Al Davis~

There are some good LB's that aren't the big names, that I would like to see:

Channing Crowder, Bart Scott, Eric Barton, Leroy Hill, Michael Boley. Other than Peppers and Suggs at DE, pickings are slim, but Chris Canty from Dallas might be a pretty good pick up.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?u=2574&type=sigpic&dateline=1233413652

I know you're right. But I can dream, can't I?

Just the thought of lining Asomugha and Flowers on opposite sides, with Carr as the best nickel back in the league makes me happy.
    Im salivating.

PS- Dont forget my boy "Touchdown Leggett"

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Adalius Thomas was a pretty pricey free agent aquisition.

Adalius Thomas Contract: $22 Million in First Two Years - NFL FanHouse

Here's a big name:

Jim
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast