Thread: dan reeves not taking the cowboys job

Default dan reeves not taking the cowboys job

Reeves will not be joining Dallas Cowboys
    0 Comment
    February 5 Dallas Morning News

"Dan Reeves turned down an opportunity to become San Francisco's defensive coordinator to work with the Cowboys.
    But Reeves, who worked at Valley Ranch for two days this week, left for his home in Atlanta on Wednesday after he and the Cowboys couldn't agree on one sticking point in his contract.
    Reeves agreed in principle to work with owner and general manager Jerry Jones, coach Wade Phillips on some aspects of the organization. The Cowboys agreed on financial terms, but Jones wanted something in Reeves' contract the former Cowboys player and assistant coach would not accept.
    Reeves would not disclose the item that sunk the deal.
    "I really and truly thought the deal was done," Reeves said Wednesday night. "And after several days of discussing it and so forth, we basically came to an agreement, so I thought it was done.
    "But with some of the concessions that Jerry had made, he ended up putting some things in there that I wasn't comfortable with that he thought was important to him. And I just felt like if we couldn't come to an agreement, it's best we part."
    When the 2008 season ended, Phillips said he would consult with some former coaches he respects, and named Reeves as one of them.
    Phillips asked Reeves to join him in Dallas. When Reeves was in talks with the 49ers about becoming their offensive coordinator, Jones called him.
    They talked for several hours Saturday about what the former coach would do for the organization.
    Reeves reported to work Monday, was assigned an office and attended several meetings at Valley Ranch while still working out contract details of his contract.
    But it didn't work out.
    "It's a shame," Reeves said. "I feel like a race car driver in a race on the last lap, and ran out of gas. It was so close and it was something I was excited about, and I kind of really thought it was done."
    Reeves, 65, was 190-165-2 in 23 seasons as a head coach with Denver, the New York Giants and Atlanta. He coached the Broncos to the Super Bowl three times and the Falcons once but lost all four games."

He heard the Chiefs were looking at Mike Shanarat, and wanted to beat him to the punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    He heard the Chiefs were looking at Mike Shanarat, and wanted to beat him to the punch.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post