Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Current Roster Evaluation

Default Current Roster Evaluation

I've seen a lot of posts stating vast overreactions to the state of the current roster. I've seen posts that state we need 3 new O-linemen, that we need 3 new WRs, and that we need 2 new safeties to go along with 2 or 3 new LBs, 2 new DTs and a new CB, a new RB and a new QB.

SO, basically, we don't have a SINGLE good player on this team. I think otherwise. So, I'm going to run down the roster and try to identify who stays, who goes and who currently on the roster can either keep their starting roles or step into a starting role. After this exercise and ensuing discussion, we should have a BETTER idea as to what positions ACTUALLY have to be filled thru free agency and the draft.

Let's start with the offense.

WR- Dwayne Bowe, Mark Bradley, Will Franklin, and Kevin Robinson

Dwayne Bowe is a legitimate #1 WR in the making and shouldn't be looked at as someone who needs to be replaced. He could very well turn into a #2 WR if the Chiefs get Boldin or Crabtree or Houshmandzadeh, but the Chiefs don't HAVE to go out and find that #1 WR. They would probably better served by finding a less expensive #2 WR. Mark Bradley was the #2 last season and he impressed a lot of people but he fell off dramatically during the second half of the season and could serve as a good #3 in the future. Will Franklin and Kevin Robinson still need time to develop as most late round WRs do and it's probably too soon to tell what they're going to become.

RB- Larry Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Kolby Smith, Jackie Battle

Who knows what the hell is going on with LJ. He's still talented enough to be a great back for a couple more seasons and would probably be more valuable to the team if the Chiefs kept him instead of trying to trade him. All the reasons we want to get rid of him are all the reasons why teams won't give us fair value in a trade. He serves the team better staying as the featured back. Jamaal Charles probably solidified his position as the 3rd down back and #2 back. Kolby Smith will serve this team well as the #3 back if one of the first two were to get hurt. Jackie Battle is probably going to find himself stuck on special teams or the practice squad.

TE- Tony Gonzalez, Brad Cottam, Michael Merritt, Jed Collins

Tony is staying. Again, his value to the team is more as a player than a trade chip. Chances are, he at the very least puts up an average Tony Gonzalez year. Brad Cottam gets another year to learn from TG before becoming the future at that position. The Chiefs are set at TE for the foreseeable future. Michael Merritt probably cost himself a roster spot "over a little weed." So look for the Chiefs to grab another TE at somepoint during the off season. I know NOTHING about Jed Collins. Perhaps he can step into Merritt's role on the team.

LT- Branden Albert, Herb Taylor, Andrew Carnahan

Branden Albert played beyond expectations for a rookie who missed the entire preseason. He has the talent to be the franchise's LT for the next decade or so. However, his versatility and college background gives the Chiefs to option to move him inside or to the other OT position and draft the best available LT at #3. Herb Taylor did enough during his time on the line this season to warrant a look at a starting spot somewhere on the line. I know nothing about Carnahan.

LG- Brian Waters, Wade Smith

Brian Waters is a Pro Bowl OG and will be back for at least another season and possibly two. The Chiefs should find a LG for the future at some point this off season or next. Wade Smith is a good backup guard and should have a roster spot locked down.

C- Rudy Niswanger, Wade Smith

Rudy Niswanger is too big for the C position. This position IS one of the positions on the line that should be upgraded this season. I'd expect the Chiefs to draft or sign a new Center. Wade Smith would probably lose his job as backup to Niswanger.

RG- Adrian Jones, Wade Smith, Tavares Washington

Another position that will change next season. Although, the replacement might be found on the current roster. I'd actually expect Niswanger to take a step to his right and fill this position. His size, build, and talent could be perfect for the guard spot. Wade Smith is a good backup and Washington is probably a non-factor.

RT- Damion McIntosh, Herb Taylor, Barry Richardson

This could actually be one of the deeper positions on the line. McIntosh really came on toward the end of the season and COULD keep his spot. Herb Talyor is knocking on the door and could push for a starting position. Barry Richardson was drafted last season with the thought in mind that HE could be the future at that position. Then, depending on what they want to do with Albert, HE could be at this spot to start the season. I'm not sure the Chiefs will be looking to bring in another player to compete here.

QB- Tyler Thigpen, Quinn Gray, Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard

Your guess is as good as mine here. If Pioli is as good of a talent evaluator as everyone says he is, he'll see that the value we'd have to give up for Cassel isn't nearly worth the difference between he and Thigpen. I doubt the Chiefs trade a pair of firsts for Cassel. Gray was a good back up and should be retained. Croyle would be a cheap, young and talented 3rd QB if no other QB were brought in to compete. Damon Huard probably doesn't have a spot next season.

Defense

LE- Tamba Hali, Wallace Gilberry, Turk McBride

Tamba Hali plays good at LE. I doubt they'll look to replace him. I can't see Turk McBride staying on the team. He just hasn't done enough. I know nothing about Gilberry.

LT- Tank Tyler, Alfonso Boone

Tank is developing nicely and I think the Chiefs got a steal in the 3rd, drafting this guy. Alfonso Boone is a good rotational player and he'll have a roster spot.

RT- Glenn Dorsey Ron Edwards, Derek Lokey

Everyone is freaking out about Dorsey and worrying that he could be Ryan Sims part Deux. That's not the case. Dorsey is going to be a great DT. The problem with him and Tyler going forward is that the Chiefs may not keep the 4-3 and that might spell doom for both players. Edwards is a good rotational player and should have a roster spot next season. I don't know much about Lokey other than he was above average at Texas.

RE- Jason Babin, Andy Studebaker, Brian Johnston

Jason Babin really surprised some people last season and may have won a roster spot going into next season. Although, I seriously doubt he'll be looked at as THE starting LDE. I don't know enough about Studebaker and Johnston to be able to give an informed opinion.

LOLB- Demarrio Williams, Curtis Gatewood

Williams needs to be a backup and the Chiefs need to fill their linebacking positions through free agency.

MLB- Pat Thomas Weston Dacus

See above

ROLB- Derrick Johnson

Johnson is the only good LB the Chiefs have on their team. Since being drafted 15th overall, he has underachieved. This season is going to be a huge year for him as it pertains to his future as a Chief.

LCB- Brandon Carr, Pat Surtain, Maurice Leggett

Brandon Carr and Maurice Leggett did enough last season to be considered for a starting position next season. Look for Pat Surtain to be released.

RCB- Brandon Flowers

Starter.... for a WHILE

SS- Bernard Pollard, DaJuan Morgan

Personally, I like Pollard. His mistakes seem to be basic. If he can figure out how to wrap up, I think we've got a SS for a long time.

FS- Jarrad Page, DaJuan Morgan, Jon McGraw

I wouldn't be surprised to see Page come back. But, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Morgan become the new FS.

The way I see it, the Chiefs NEED only a few players from free agency and the draft, while any other players they bring in would be considered upgrades and would render the players they replace as depth... WHICH IS A GOOD THING!!

This is how I see the roster:

FA/D= Free Agent/Draft

Offense
    QB- Thigpen
    RB- Johnson
    TE- Gonzalez
    WR- Bowe, FA/D, Bradley
    LT-Albert or D
    LG-Waters
    C-FA/D
    RG-Niswanger/Albert
    RT-Taylor/Albert/McIntosh

Defense
    LDE-Tamba Hali/Jason Babin
    LT-Tyler
    RT-Dorsey
    RDE-FA/D
    ROLB-FA/D
    MLB-FA/D
    LOLB-Johnson
    LCB-Carr/Leggett/FA/D
    RCB-Flowers/FA/D
    SS-Pollard
    FS-Morgan

So, as far as in players the Chiefs NEED to bring in, they really just NEED five players to complete the starting squad (excluding depth). We need a RDE, ROLB, MLB, #2 WR and a Center. The rest of the team CAN be filled through players already on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    I found a little "baggage" on Jackson, straight from his scouting report:

Character: Jackson is well-liked by his teammates and coaching staff, and was considered one of the team's prime locker room leaders. He commands respect on the field for his ability and is the type of player you never have to worry about getting into trouble. He is involved in community affairs and has been responsible and respectful. GRADE: 6.2

Tyson Jackson, LSU, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com Football

Oh, and Ayers was arrested for aggravated assault in 2005.

Jackson has more of an ideal build for 3-4 end too, he's projected to be more of a run stopper than a sack threat though, I think he's worth of our first round pick though, if we get a middle of the pack pick. He could be on the board well into the late teens too, get a couple more picks from that if possible.
    Yeah, I'll just assume pbatrucker confused him with Ayers.

Jackson is a DE in the Richard Seymour build. Big, mean, and just a prototypical 3-4 DE. He won't get a ton of sacks, but 3-4 DEs aren't meant to.

Jackson's my favorite DE in this draft, and we badly need a 3-4 DE. If we can trade down to a double digit pick and he's on the board, we'd be nuts not to take him.

As much as I love Maualuga, the Zach Thomas signing makes him more of a luxury than a guy like Jackson, at least for 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post

Jackson is a DE in the Richard Seymour build. Big, mean, and just a prototypical 3-4 DE. He won't get a ton of sacks, but 3-4 DEs aren't meant to.

Jackson's my favorite DE in this draft, and we badly need a 3-4 DE. If we can trade down to a double digit pick and he's on the board, we'd be nuts not to take him.

As much as I love Maualuga, the Zach Thomas signing makes him more of a luxury than a guy like Jackson, at least for 2009.
    LSU Chiefs!

It would be interesting to see Dorsey and Jackson back on the same line again. After all, Dorsey was incredible when they were a tandem. And without him so far, well... you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    I found a little "baggage" on Jackson, straight from his scouting report:

Character: Jackson is well-liked by his teammates and coaching staff, and was considered one of the team's prime locker room leaders. He commands respect on the field for his ability and is the type of player you never have to worry about getting into trouble. He is involved in community affairs and has been responsible and respectful. GRADE: 6.2

Tyson Jackson, LSU, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com Football

Oh, and Ayers was arrested for aggravated assault in 2005.

Jackson has more of an ideal build for 3-4 end too, he's projected to be more of a run stopper than a sack threat though, I think he's worth of our first round pick though, if we get a middle of the pack pick. He could be on the board well into the late teens too, get a couple more picks from that if possible.
    Sorry , I did get the two mixed up, it's my age you know. I've been going over this stuff so much, everything is etting a little mixed up. I apolagise again.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    Sorry , I did get the two mixed up, it's my age you know. I've been going over this stuff so much, everything is etting a little mixed up. I apolagise again.
    No apologies necessary. These things happen to the best of us - meaning me.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post

The faster we develop the line the better also, Thomas hopefully holds us over to next year where there is another deep LB class, have a DE with some experience already and pick up a high LB next year to fill in one of the vet spots and play right away. Then again, you have Carlos Dunlap who will probably be coming out in '10, he's essentially Mario Williams, the only kicker is he is from Florida, but I hope we don't have a bad enough record to be in consideration for him next year, assuming he is a top 5 prospect a year from now.

Imagine if we pulled a miracle and ended up with 2 mid first rounders though. I don't think Raji is going to get past GB if he falls that far, but if the stars line up, Raji and Jackson would set our line for the next decade.
    Last edited by Chief Tyler; 04-15-2009 at 11:00 AM.

This was a fun thread to read.

After watching this team for three weeks, I'm gonna play armchair QB. We know now that this team is transitioning to the 3-4. We also knew that Gailey's offense was good enough to at least score some points last season. So, what I want to do, is go back and build my O-line and my young defense. That's it. I want to do a couple things REALLY well instead of trying to EVERYTHING at a below average level. SO, my 2009 off season re-do:

Draft:
    1-Aaron Curry LB
    2-Eben Britton OT
    3-Alex Magee DE
    4-Jonathan Luigs C
    5-Duke Robinson OG

(All players were available when we selected.)

FA
    Mike Goff
    Mike Brown
    Terrance Copper
    Cory Mays

(I'm not going to pretend that we could sign a bunch of super studs. I'm just staying with the guys we brought in... minus a couple.)

Starting Offense
    QB-Croyle/Thigpen (stop gap till new O-line is complete)
    RB-Johnson/Charles
    FB-Cox
    WR-Bowe, Bradley
    LT-Albert
    LG-Waters
    C-Luigs
    RG-Goff
    RT-Britton
    TE-Cottam

Defense
    CB-Flowers, Carr
    SS-Pollard/Brown
    FS-Page
    ROLB-Hali
    LILB-Johnson
    RILB-Mays
    LOLB-Curry
    NT-Tank
    LDE-Dorsey
    RDE-Magee

Put last year's offense behind a semi-rebuilt O-line and just concentrate all your effort on improving the horrid defense we had last season. That's all that HAD to be done this season. After the defense was on better footing following the season, then we could've gone after our offense and tried to improve on it some during next spring.

Instead, management decided to tear down BOTH sides of the ball and ignore the most glaring need during the off season (OL). Now, we have a "franchise QB" with no protection. THIS is EXACTLY why we shouldn't have gone after a QB this past spring. (Still love the value we received with that trade though.) I just think bringing in a QB this season wasn't necessary. The fact that Brodie is playing at a comparable level to Cassel only makes that fact more exacerbated. Makes you wonder what Croyle would look like with a line that could protect him.

Anyway, I just bumped this thread cuz it was a fun read when we were trying to figure out what the hell was gonna happen and what we all wanted to happen while comparing it to reality.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021