Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: After Gonzo.....

Default After Gonzo.....

Ok, I like Cottam but if TG leaves I don't see Cottam being our #1. I would like to get a FA but if we could draft one for our new offense I would take a chance on Beckham from Wisconson. He played like a WR but the size of a TE. He was hurt this year but I would take a chance on him. IMO...Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    Did he get hurt? He had a tendency to get hurt in college and that was the knock on him for the draft.
    I dont think so. I think they started using WRs more in the spread. I think they maybe used him first when one of the WR was hurt. And they got healthy then took him out of the line-up. But honestly Im not sure why he dropped off.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Just heard an update on that situation with Cassell, apparently he signed a 1 year deal with the Patriots for $25 million potential. This makes me feel better but he is suckin the cash outta their dumb a$.
    I personally feel that Cottam could be a good TE in the future to but I am just not ready to say goodbye to Tony, he is the greatest TE to ever play the game and for any of us to talk like it is ok to trade him makes me feel sad ,people have the right to say what they will but he should retire a Chief IMO. Shannon Sharpe went from Denver to Baltimore then back to Denver and IMO he did right as far as Superbowls go but it looks weird on his track record to me, I am just old school still.
    Actually, Cassel signed the franchise tender for $14.65M. He did that to make himself easier to trade. I'd be shocked if he weren't traded by the end of the month to the Vikings, Chiefs, or Lions (my bet's Vikings).

I understand what your saying but why would the NFL Network say it was done to secure his position with the Patriots? These sort of things always confuse the crap outta me.....
    I have no idea why NFL Network would say that. Because Cassel signed the tender, he has a one-year contract with the Pats for about $14M. Until he signed the tender, he couldn't be traded because of the two 1st rounders the other team would lose. I can't see the Pats actually paying Cassel $14M to back up Brady this year, and I can't see them jettisoning Brady.

This is all leading to the Pats trading Cassel before the draft. And the Vikings, who have championship pieces at every position by QB are the obvious trade partners.

Just found this so I edited it in,
    -------
    Now that QB Matt Cassel has signed his $14.65 million non-exclusive franchise tender — the largest guarantee on a one-year contract in the history of the NFL — some around the league believe it’s 95 percent that he remains in New England.
    The only way the Patriots would trade Cassel is if they know QB Tom Brady is healthy, and even if they do, the bidder needs to be to Cassel’s liking and offer a contract to his liking, or there’s no deal.
    That’s not to say it can’t happen. But it’s not going to be easy to make it happen.
    -------
    The author of that is nuts. The Pats have to extend Wilfork and I'd be shocked if they weren't at least a bit active in FA on defense. The Pats are going to wait until Brady's knee checks out, and then Cassel goes to the highest bidder.

Actually, I just remembered that the Lions have Dallas's 1st rounder. If they aren't offering the 20th pick in the draft for Cassel, I'd be shocked. They could then draft Andre Smith #1 overall.

I like Cottam too. I guess if I were to have my choice, I'd not spend FA money on that position since a Stereo-typical Pioli team won't depend on the TE to be 50% of the total offensive production. I hope they spend some serious time and money on some ANIMALS for the O-line and the D.

Gonzo just had a sideline interview during the Pro Bowl. He said that the quotes from earlier in the week were taken out of context. He wants to stay a Chief. He just wants to see that we are making offseason moves towards making a run in the next two years or so. Basically he seemed to feel that he will ask for a trade if we arent pursuing talent to make us competitive soon.

TG has big shoes, it may be hard for anyone to fill his shoes but it would have to be done if TG leaves. There will be life after he is traded or the chiefs will stay in the rut they've been in.
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123