Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is everyone writing Dorsey off ?

Default Why is everyone writing Dorsey off ?

I dont understand why people are writing Dorsey and Tank out Tank is a strong beast and showed great improvement last year and Dorsey was a rookie who was used to dominating and had to hit a brick wall BUT if the cheifs can get someone to rush on the outside i can promise you that Tank and Dorsey will begin to show why Dorsey was a first rounder and talked as the best player in last years draft. I have always believed in Tank and I also think McBride will become a decent player. Dont get me wrong I am not saying that any of these players are going to become legends BUT i do think that these three can be decent players they just need a BEAST on the outside to rush. Just my opinion but don't give up on these kids yet.

I myself am not writing Dorsey off. Dorsey was a rookie, poorly coached, poorly used, and had zero talent around him. I forsee a vast improvement in him this year...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppachief View Post
    I dont understand why people are writing Dorsey and Tank out Tank is a strong beast and showed great improvement last year and Dorsey was a rookie who was used to dominating and had to hit a brick wall BUT if the cheifs can get someone to rush on the outside i can promise you that Tank and Dorsey will begin to show why Dorsey was a first rounder and talked as the best player in last years draft. I have always believed in Tank and I also think McBride will become a decent player. Dont get me wrong I am not saying that any of these players are going to become legends BUT i do think that these three can be decent players they just need a BEAST on the outside to rush. Just my opinion but don't give up on these kids yet.
    I understand not writing them off. But what I'm having difficult believing is that people think that Tank, Turk, and Dorsey had a good year last year. Or a decent year last year. Or an adequate year.

Or anything but "one of the worst year's a DL had ever had" years.

Tank looked awful all year. So did Dorsey. And I can't believe anyone's trying to defend Turk (who'll be gone before August I bet). They were one-on-one with guards and got blown off the line every down. They couldn't stop the run or rush the passer. They were awful.

Do you believe that they'll get better with a new DC and some conditioning? Fine, I can accept and respect that.

I can't accept or respect that people are praising their work last year. Teams ran over us at will when they had a lead, and they threw on us at will when they fell behind. Our terrible run defense and pass rush was the main reason for this.

Dorsey had the skills to rush on smaller college OLs. He hasn't shown the skills to rush larger NFL OLs yet. Tank hasn't shown anything but how to move backward. Turk's shown less than that.

I won't call Tank or Dorsey busts, so long no one else calls them successes.

Turk is a massive bust.

Dorsey came into a bad situation last year...give him some time. With the right coaching, I think he has the potential to be one of the best in the league.
    2009 Chiefs - The start of a dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I understand not writing them off. But what I'm having difficult believing is that people think that Tank, Turk, and Dorsey had a good year last year. Or a decent year last year. Or an adequate year.

Or anything but "one of the worst year's a DL had ever had" years.

Tank looked awful all year. So did Dorsey. And I can't believe anyone's trying to defend Turk (who'll be gone before August I bet). They were one-on-one with guards and got blown off the line every down. They couldn't stop the run or rush the passer. They were awful.

Do you believe that they'll get better with a new DC and some conditioning? Fine, I can accept and respect that.

I can't accept or respect that people are praising their work last year. Teams ran over us at will when they had a lead, and they threw on us at will when they fell behind. Our terrible run defense and pass rush was the main reason for this.

Dorsey had the skills to rush on smaller college OLs. He hasn't shown the skills to rush larger NFL OLs yet. Tank hasn't shown anything but how to move backward. Turk's shown less than that.

I won't call Tank or Dorsey busts, so long no one else calls them successes.

Turk is a massive bust.
    Wow. You seriously need to just stop talking about the D-Line. You have no idea what your talking about.

Tank had a great season. Its not all about the numbers your reading on Yahoo. He played well. He is has shown lots of upside. He is a keeper for years to come.

Turk is questionable. He will probably be released. He showed flashes of what he needed to be in the preseason. But in the season he couldn't deliver. I like him but he is probably gone.

As for Dorsey. He is a rookie DT. What the heck do you want from him? He didn't play as well as Tank, but this season was very valuable for him as well as Tank. He isn't the kind of DT who is gonna be making a lot of sacks either.

Yes the Line got killed all year. Its the line as a whole. Not Dorsey and Tank. Not to mention we were running Cover 2. Its not a pass rush oriented defense. Its to defend the pass. Which we did ok at. With a new D-Scheme we will be fine.

You just need to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Codac View Post
    Not to mention we were running Cover 2. Its not a pass rush oriented defense.
    No. The whole point of the Cover 2 defense is that your DL gets pressure on the QB without LB help. Its not a blitz oriented defense, but it is a pressure oriented defense. Which rarely works, of course, because the correct personnel are hard to find.

Wow. You seriously need to just stop talking about the D-Line. You have no idea what your talking about.
    You sure about that? I mean, I do know how the Cover 2 defense runs and you apparently don't.

Tank had a great season. Its not all about the numbers your reading on Yahoo. He played well. He is has shown lots of upside. He is a keeper for years to come.

Turk is questionable. He will probably be released. He showed flashes of what he needed to be in the preseason. But in the season he couldn't deliver. I like him but he is probably gone.

As for Dorsey. He is a rookie DT. What the heck do you want from him? He didn't play as well as Tank, but this season was very valuable for him as well as Tank. He isn't the kind of DT who is gonna be making a lot of sacks either.
    I, amazingly, wasn't reading Tank's stats on Yahoo. The fact that he was blown off the line most downs was what I based my comments on. Did you miss pretty much every defensive running play, where he and Dorsey went backwards? You sure you know what you're talking about?

Dorsey was drafted to be a sack-creating DT. He's faster and undersized compared to the average DT and was drafted to be Herm's Warren Sapp. If he's not going to get a lot of sacks, exactly what will he be doing? Because he's definitely not a run-stuffing sort of DT. You sure you know what you're talking about?

I don't fault Dorsey or Tank for not getting more sacks. I do fault them for being an absolute sieve against the run. If they improve, no one will be happier than me. But they need to improve a lot before anyone starts calling them "adequate" or anything.

it really just comes down to coaching....we have drafted DE's and DL-man very high in the last 6 or 7 years (Junior Siavii, Eddie Freeman, Sims, from the Vermeil era and Dorsey, McBride, Hali, Tyler...and im probly missing a few....all in the top 3 rounds in the last 6 or so years...)

none of which are very good or even on the roster....is it not obvious? Dont hate the player, hate the COACHES....we have consistently had a pourous defense after the neil smith and dt era....

Dorsey will be fine now that we will have a new defensive scheme....he is still very young....Hali and Tank i believe can be a part of the defense...but Turk just does not belong here and we need to cut our losses and give his spot to someone else...IF IF IF IF IF

we can get someone to coach them how to play defense
    Last edited by KottkeKU; 02-11-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Not to mention we were running Cover 2. Its not a pass rush oriented defense.
    No offense, but this is completely wrong.

See the problem with a Cover 2? The play needs to be over by the time a receiver has time to get to a soft zone. The only way to ensure it's over is to get pressure on the QB.

Conversely, in a Tampa 2 scheme the MLB is in a semi-deep zone between the safeties. Same sort of problem, you really don't want to have your MLB having to cover someone very often on a deep route down the middle. A fast MLB like Derrick Johnson helps, but no LB is fast enough to shadow a WR very long.

Warren Sapp wasnt even Sapp until his second year. His rookie year he had 3 sacks. His second year he had 9.

These guys need time to develop. They are going up against seasoned vets. Even Albert Haynsworth had to work up to his status. When was the last time that you heard of an awesom DT rookie? i havent.
    Last edited by warcrychief; 02-11-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warcrychief View Post
    Warren Sapp wasnt even Sapp until his second year. His rookie year he had 3 sacks. His second year he had 9.

These guys need time to develop. They are going up against seasoned vets. Even Albert Haynsworth had to work up to his status. When was the last time that you heard of an awesom DT rookie? i havent.
    Very true about a DT needing time to develop. My point wasn't ever whether Dorsey or Tank will do well 2009+. My point was that they did lousy in 2008. That we're going to need improvement at the DT spot before we ever can boast a decent DL.

I can't believe that's a controversial position.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast