Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh no (Lions)

Default oh no (Lions)

Per PFT:
    LIONS LEANING TOWARD CULPEPPER

As the Detroit Lions prepare to improve on the worst single season in the history of the NFL (if not all pro sports), they’ll apparently do so with Daunte Culpepper taking the snaps.

Former Lions receiver Mike Furrey told Alex Marvez and Ross Tucker of Sirius NFL Radio on Sunday morning that other quarterbacks on the roster have been told that Culpepper will be the starter.

This could mean that the Lions will target in the first round of the draft a quarterback, despite any lingering urges to take a wideout.

Then again, it’s not as if the franchise has mastered the art of snagging signal-callers in round one. Over the past 40 years, they’ve taken three: Joey Harrington, Andre Ware, Chuck Long.

Well, maybe they’re due.

Culpepper is due to receive a $2.5 million roster bonus later this month, so if he’s not cut before then it’s a pretty safe bet that, indeed, he’ll be the No. 1 guy in 2009.

If the Lions were dead set on taking a QB #1, I highly doubt they'd be signing Culpepper. With Bulger in St. Louis and no one to protect him, it's pretty easy to see that they'll be taking a LT. That could leave the Chiefs looking at the 3rd best LT, the best QB, Curry and Crabtree at #3. This is a nightmare scenario for the Chiefs. Not only would this group ensure that they wouldn't be able to trade down, but it could entice the franchise to pull the trigger on Stafford.

I'm scared.

So, they are still planning on taking Stafford or Sanchez, but have handed the starting job to Culpepper? That seems a bit strange. I have a weird feeling, that after all the debate on who the top QB is, both Stafford and Sanchez are going do a Brady Quinn, and slide down..............
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?u=2574&type=sigpic&dateline=1233413652

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfreak4life View Post
    So, they are still planning on taking Stafford or Sanchez, but have handed the starting job to Culpepper? That seems a bit strange. I have a weird feeling, that after all the debate on who the top QB is, both Stafford and Sanchez are going do a Brady Quinn, and slide down..............

That's Detroit for ya.

The only team in the NFL worse then the Chiefs.

I don't think you can read to much into this. He could be cut during summer camp. I think what they are trying to infer is that the younger QB's they have drafted still aren't developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I don't think you can read to much into this. He could be cut during summer camp. I think what they are trying to infer is that the younger QB's they have drafted still aren't developing.
    Yep. They're basically telling their fans that they're drafting a QB this year to groom, starting Daunte, and cutting everyone else.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that they draft LT at #1 and either hope Josh Freeman drops to #20, or they draft Nate Davis in the 2nd round.

Some team's going to get the best backup QB in the league in Jon Kitna, and Drew Stanton/Dan Orlovsky go play in Canada for a year or two.

Detroit's new logo for '09:
    "We're not good enough. That's what I keep telling our guys." - Herm Edwards

You know, the Lions are in better shape than everyone thinks they are.

They have great players in Calvin Johnson and Ernie Sims. They have decent players in Backus, Lenon, McDonald, Bullocks, and Kevin Smith. They have a real HC finally, and are probably the forerunner to get Haynesworth if he leaves Tennessee. They have 5 picks in the first 82 in this draft, and will have about $40M in cap room.

I'm not suggesting that they're going to win the NFC or anything in 2009, but they're not going to be the worst in the NFL either. A Dolphins style turnaround isn't exactly out of the question.

After thinking about the Lions and the chance of them NOT taking a QB first and how funny people think it would be to draft Crabtree (Another WR hehe)

You know what, IF the Lions DID take Crabtree it honestly would not be a bad pick. I mean look

The Lions just traded Roy Williams, which a lot of people think Crabtree will be just as good if not better then Williams.

Williams Trade:
    Lions got the Cowboys 2009 (1st, 3rd, 6th) 2010 (7th) for Roy Williams.

IF the Lions took Crabtree to replace Williams they would still have a good shot at one of the Top QB/LT's with there 2nd 1st round pick. PLUS still have ALL of those other picks they got from Dallas.

I think they will take a QB, BUT Crabtree would actually make sense this year lol.

all I know is Im pretty damn excited to be a chiefs fan ! Look at all of the stuff that has already happened and still will happen. No matter who we draft, Im really , really pumped to see what happens to us ! But if Culpepper was due to recieve a roster bonus of 2.5 million in the next month< why would they wait until summer camps to let him go?

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    After thinking about the Lions and the chance of them NOT taking a QB first and how funny people think it would be to draft Crabtree (Another WR hehe)

You know what, IF the Lions DID take Crabtree it honestly would not be a bad pick. I mean look

The Lions just traded Roy Williams, which a lot of people think Crabtree will be just as good if not better then Williams.

Williams Trade:
    Lions got the Cowboys 2009 (1st, 3rd, 6th) 2010 (7th) for Roy Williams.

IF the Lions took Crabtree to replace Williams they would still have a good shot at one of the Top QB/LT's with there 2nd 1st round pick. PLUS still have ALL of those other picks they got from Dallas.

I think they will take a QB, BUT Crabtree would actually make sense this year lol.
    Crabtree makes a lot of sense for them this draft, as they could get their QBOTF in Nate Davis with their 2nd round pick. The 20th overall pick could go to Alex Mack, Duke Robinson, or another OL. They could use their second day picks on defense.

Especially since Backus isn't a terrible LT, and they just drafted a RT in Gosder Cherlius in the 1st round last year.

They could then fill in their other issues on the 2nd day.

I don't see this happening, necessarily, simply because the fanbase would revolt if Crabtree goes number 1. But objectively, it isn't a terrible idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast