Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Still pimping O-line and D? Let it go; it's QB time.

Default Still pimping O-line and D? Let it go; it's QB time.

The time is now. We will more than likely not have another chance at this.

I'm preferential to Sanchez, but I won't balk at Stafford.

It's time to put the ghost of Blackledge to bed, man up, and start running this franchise right for a change.

Warning:

Posts calling for Crabtree or Curry at third overall will be met with MUCH ridicule.

Warning:

Use of the phrase "Brady in the 6th-round" will get you an anti-freeze ****tail.

Finally, congrats to Edith Morgan for finally seeing her son home where he belongs!
    Last edited by Darth CarlSatan; 02-14-2009 at 05:47 PM.

You build your offense around your QB. Thigpen is NOT that guy.

And you do NOT take receivers at third overall!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post

I agree you build around a QB, once you have the basics that make up a team. How do you know you have the right guy if he is lying on his *** at the end of every play?

I guarantee, if we took Sanchez and we put him behind this line, we will still be talking about who we can get at QB next year.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

This is why you are wrong.

I suggest reading the whole thread... but I'll refer you to post #113 and later.

If sanchez gets drafted by the Chiefs, and if he ended next season with the exact same numbers as Thigpen did last season, everyone would think Sanchez was the second coming. Thigpen seems to get penalized for being a low draft pick. The guy did great for having to play behind a god awful O-line. Give him some protection, and he will be fine. FIRST ROUND PICK, OFFENSIVE LINE.

Man Darth, I think you've been listening to Kietzman a bit too much. You and him sound almost exactly alike and he's usually wrong!
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    If sanchez gets drafted by the Chiefs, and if he ended next season with the exact same numbers as Thigpen did last season, everyone would think Sanchez was the second coming. Thigpen seems to get penalized for being a low draft pick. The guy did great for having to play behind a god awful O-line. Give him some protection, and he will be fine. FIRST ROUND PICK, OFFENSIVE LINE.
    Excellent point. I seem to remember Huard and Croyle looking like a monkey f'in a football last year when they played. Prior to Thigpen, this team looked worse than the Lions last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    This has been my point exactly. If this had been a first round draft pick putting up these numbers everyone would have been clamouring about how we had the next coming of Joe Montana or something.

But since this was a third string guy that we claimed off waivers, and had to play under a non-standard offense, then he gets no respect.

I don't care who you are, if you can put up Thigpen's numbers in the NFL, you have something going for you. Not everyone can do it. I mean, look at Trent Edwards, Matt Lienert, Matt Ryan, Marc Bulger. Thigpen held his own with any of those "Franchise" level QBs on arguably one of the worse teams of the season.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

You're contradicting yourself. You say you don't take what you need, so I can only take from that you mean you draft the best player regardless of position. Crabtree is the best at that point because more than a couple of teams want him. At that point it gives you all kinds of options....

The problem, is that we've got 30+years as a fan base of a franchise that has been, in terms of proper building for consistent victory, an absolute textbook case in WRONG.

In fact, if the post-71 era of Steadman, and the ENTIRE era of CP were an inanimate object? They would be a bright, flashing neon sign that said:

"ERROR"

"ERROR"

"ERROR"

Prior to getting schooled on the NFL properly( and through many harsh debates that would get both parties banned from here in a matter of minutes ), I was a poor, ignorant 90's rehash fan. I wanted to rebuild the 90's, and I preached defense to the point of illogical absurdity.
    After many harsh beatdowns, I finally saw the light and the truth:

It All Starts With Your Team Leader, And That Person Is Your Quarterback.

The statistics regarding Super Bowls won by teams with franchise quarterbacks, to teams without is staggering.
    Gannon's and Warner's are anomalies in the NFL. People don't seem to understand that hoping for one of THOSE guys to show up, or to hope for the best, or to try and "make do", IS THE BIGGEST RISK OF ALL! Letting one Todd Blackledge devalue the position out of fear was one of the dumbest things that this franchise ever let happen!
    And in my opinion, the 1997 team the Chiefs fielded personified EVERYTHING that is wrong about building all aspects on your team right, but not having that same attention to detail when it comes to your Quarterback.

Denver had that particular detail shored up in 1997. Case closed.

Next years QB class is comprised of spread quarterbacks. Pro teams hell-bent on winning Championships will NOT be running the spread.

This year is a great draft class for offense. Next year has a great defensive class coming out.

I can understand an aversion to Stafford. He's looked pretty unimpressive in the televised games I've seen this year. But when you start studying reel, you see that there IS a skill-set there that can be developed. It WILL take longer to make him great, but he DOES have the tools to begin the process.

Sanchez is, quite simply, the most amazing college QB I've seen lead a team and work the field in years. When you're going to draft a kid who will be holding a clipboard for a year, you're not looking at time spent on the field or W/L records.

Here's the breakdown on Mark. Go to you tube and watch the film. Study it carefully, and you'll see the follwing:

1) Mechanics. Sanchez's form, technique, and execution are damned-near flawless. And they are consistent in their flawlessness.

2) Decision-making. Mark has shown time and again that when a play breaks down, or the pocket collapses, he's going to turn it in to positive yardage. There is NO QUITTING ON THE PLAY with Mark Sanchez.

3) Letting it go, and playing it smart. When the times come that the play can't be made, Mark identifies it quickly, does the right thing and get's rid of the ball so that no yardage is lost. There's no "curling up and dying" here.

4) Athleticism. If and when Mark has to run, he does it VERY well. Watch the way he threaded and timed his run through the line to the end-zone during his rushing TD in the Rose Bowl; it was a thing of beauty.

5) Speed. The guy is just quick, and possibly the fastest QB off a snap I've ever seen.

And number 6) Passes. Mark can throw the rocket or the soft-touch float with equal skill and precision. His timing with his receivers borders on Divine Intervention. The most impressive pass I ever saw of his, was a 30-yard, perfectly placed, right over the right shoulder of his receiver as the receiver raced to the northwest pylon without even looking back once; it went right over his shoulder and in to his waiting hands.
    I thought there was no way I'd see a completion like that again. I was wrong. That pass, like every great thing I've seen Mark Sanchez do, is not voodoo or luck; it's business as usual.

And there it is.

Nice to see you back DCS. But I respectfully disagree with you.

You said you build your offense around a QB. I would argue that we dont need to build our offense. We need to build a defense.

I want to know your argument against Curry. He is the most athletic LB and is definitely a playmaker. If you argue you need to take the BPA, then many people have him even with or not too far behind Crabtree. LB is definitely a need.

I will argue that it is equally important to have a QB for the defense. Someone to motivate them, call out coverages and that will be there to make that goalline tackle. DJ has not become that person.

A good QB isnt going to help you hold the lead in the 4th quarter, which was one of our biggest problems last year. If you have a lead at the end, you want to run the clock. It is very difficult to do that when the QB has the ball. The way you hold a lead is with a good OL to run and a good D to hold the opposing offense.

As far as OL, I dont think it is a waste. If you look at a lot of the playoff teams, they have one thing in common: great offensive lines. Not all of them have GREAT QBs. Ravens, Titans, Dolphins, Vikings, Falcons (Ryan isnt great yet), and Patriots (Cassel has yet to prove to me he can do it on his own) all have great OLs and average to slightly above average QBs and great Defenses. I think Thiggy is average to above average. We make our Defense great, and our OL equal to what it was in the Vermeil days, and my grandma could sit back there and drop balls in to TG and DBowe.

I will agree that Sanchez is probably has one of the better skill sets of young QBs. But I dont think he will be able to get it done without a line to protect him. If we want to bench him, then we are basically saying we dont want to be competitive next year because we want to get an OL next offseason.
    Last edited by jap1; 02-14-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast