Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Still pimping O-line and D? Let it go; it's QB time.

Default Still pimping O-line and D? Let it go; it's QB time.

The time is now. We will more than likely not have another chance at this.

I'm preferential to Sanchez, but I won't balk at Stafford.

It's time to put the ghost of Blackledge to bed, man up, and start running this franchise right for a change.

Warning:

Posts calling for Crabtree or Curry at third overall will be met with MUCH ridicule.

Warning:

Use of the phrase "Brady in the 6th-round" will get you an anti-freeze ****tail.

Finally, congrats to Edith Morgan for finally seeing her son home where he belongs!
    Last edited by Darth CarlSatan; 02-14-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Nice to see you back DCS. But I respectfully disagree with you.

I want to know your argument against Curry. He is the most athletic LB and is definitely a playmaker. If you argue you need to take the BPA, then many people have him even with or not too far behind Crabtree. LB is definitely a need.

I will argue that it is equally important to have a QB for the defense. Someone to motivate them, call out coverages and that will be there to make that goalline tackle. DJ has not become that person.

A good QB isnt going to help you hold the lead in the 4th quarter, which was one of our biggest problems last year. If you have a lead at the end, you want to run the clock. It is very difficult to do that when the QB has the ball. The way you hold a lead is with a good OL to run and a good D to hold the opposing offense.

As far as OL, I dont think it is a waste. If you look at a lot of the playoff teams, they have one thing in common: great offensive lines. Not all of them have GREAT QBs. Ravens, Titans, Dolphins, Vikings, Falcons (Ryan isnt great yet), and Patriots (Cassel has yet to prove to me he can do it on his own) all have great OLs and average to slightly above average QBs and great Defenses. I think Thiggy is average to above average. We make our Defense great, and our OL equal to what it was in the Vermeil days, and my grandma could sit back there and drop balls in to TG and DBowe.
    I have no argument against Curry. If we took him 3rd overall I wouldn't hold it against Curry, and I would wish him nothing but the best.

I'd question the mental capacity of Pioli and Haley though.
    The question is, "what kind of franchise do we want to be"?
    Do you want to win Titles? I do. And it all starts with your team leader, the Quarterback.
    There are NO shortcuts. Consistent winners don't "patch things up". Consistent winners don't "make do".

There is no way in hell Haley is going to run a spread, pistol, or some other quasi-scheme. We're going to start playing professional offense again. And to do so, we're going to need a QB that can take snaps from under Center, and who has experience working in a pro-style system.

Now, if you want to say that Stafford and Sanchez don't fit your idealized "cup of tea" in that regard, then okay.
    But I would encourage you to watch film of both guys and hold your final decisions until doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
    I have no argument against Curry. If we took him 3rd overall I wouldn't hold it against Curry, and I would wish him nothing but the best.

I'd question the mental capacity of Pioli and Haley though.
    The question is, "what kind of franchise do we want to be"?
    Do you want to win Titles? I do. And it all starts with your team leader, the Quarterback.
    There are NO shortcuts. Consistent winners don't "patch things up". Consistent winners don't "make do".

There is no way in hell Haley is going to run a spread, pistol, or some other quasi-scheme. We're going to start playing professional offense again. And to do so, we're going to need a QB that can take snaps from under Center, and who has experience working in a pro-style system.

Now, if you want to say that Stafford and Sanchez don't fit your idealized "cup of tea" in that regard, then okay.
    But I would encourage you to watch film of both guys and hold your final decisions until doing so.
    Agreed!!

I think QB is the way to go w/ the #3 pick. Some people on this site think that Tyler is God or something.. they think that he's the answer when he's really just a band aid.

Grabbing a LB at #3 will be too much of a reach unless he were the next Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis.. I wouldn't completely hate the LB pick but finding a good OLB would be easier than finding a franchise QB.

Considering how deep this draft is w/ OL I think we can get a quality tackle in the 2nd Round and a Center in the 3rd.

Although I would kick someone in the head this year if we drafted another TE... we've drafted like 8 tight ends in the last 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfreak4life View Post
    I've just been posting here for about a month and one of my thoughts has been that everyone is pretty knowlegeble and there didn't seem to be really any dorks here. I think DeathCarl Satan seems to be the exception....................................

No one here is without exception a "dork", and this is not Jr. high.

I would at least be willing to listen to an argument for Stafford, but Sanchez isn't even worth a top 10 pick... let alone a top 3.

You referenced Elway. Look how long it took Elway to get to the Super Bowl. It took until his last two seasons to get there. You referencing Elway is a counterintuitive in your argument. By using Elway, you're basically saying that you're ok with waiting 15 years until the team has enough pieces around our QB to win a Super Bowl. But if you look at, say a Ben Roethlisberger, who's team was already built when he stepped in to be the final piece his rookie season, you see what everyone else is trying to say.

If you go out and drop $2 million on a car at Barrett-Jackson, are you going to bring it home to park it in your driveway, unprotected? Would that $2 million car be enough to complete the best collection of cars owned by one owner if it's the only car in the collection? In order for your investment to be successful, you need to surround it with complimentary pieces and provide protection. Right now, the Chiefs have a partly built garage and have just recently began a collection of complimentary pieces. Right now, the investment the Chiefs have put into their team, just isn't ready for a top flight purchase. ESPECIALLY when they might already have a guy who could potentially fill that role.

For the reasons that you like Sanchez, I like Leinart. Leinart won a heisman trophy and a national championship. We've seen what he can do with a complete team around him. The Cardinals of 2006 (where Leinart started 11 games) were not the Cardinals of this season. If its a franchise QB you want to get THIS season, trade a conditional 1st-3rd round 2010 pick to the Cards and get him. Then, let him sit for at least half the season to let him develop a little more and to keep his price low. Whatever we have to trade to get Leinart, it wouldn't be NEARLY as much as a #3 pick. I think Leinart is BY FAR the better QB between the two USC QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post
    Agreed!!

I think QB is the way to go w/ the #3 pick. Some people on this site think that Tyler is God or something.. they think that he's the answer when he's really just a band aid.

Grabbing a LB at #3 will be too much of a reach unless he were the next Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis.. I wouldn't completely hate the LB pick but finding a good OLB would be easier than finding a franchise QB.

Considering how deep this draft is w/ OL I think we can get a quality tackle in the 2nd Round and a Center in the 3rd.

Although I would kick someone in the head this year if we drafted another TE... we've drafted like 8 tight ends in the last 3 years
    Excellent, exactly, and thank you.

If we take a QB off the top, look to see the Right Tackle come shortly after it; that position becomes priority number two.

Understand this( and I believe you do ); we're not drafting to make a run in 09'. And quite frankly, we'll probably suck, though to a lesser degree than 08'.

Next year will provide an EXCELLENT defensive draft class, and don't forget that there IS this other option called "Free Agency" as well.

I'm pretty sure Pioli "get's it", and will do the right thing in New York this year.

And don't forget; Clark Hunt has had but ONE "request" when it comes to the roster since his father's passing:

"I want to develop a franchise quarterback".

After 30 years of dumbassery, the Kansas City Chiefs are FINALLY on their way. Hallelujah!

What proof is there that Thigpen ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT run a regular NFL style offense? If the Chiefs hadn't identified Thigpen in the draft, he'd probably be the Vikings starter right now. The Vikes LOVED Thigpen and thought they could slip him through waivers and sign him to the practice squad.

If you want to base your evaluations of Tyler Thigpen's ability to run a "normal" NFL offense on his ONE game in week 3 against Atlanta, during his first start EVER in the league and while the O-line had ZERO continuity, then I'd have to "question YOUR mental capacity."

I love lively debate, and for the most part respectful. But, I too, must join with those who dissent. We need to build our O-line, and I think texaschief has displayed that point of view beautifully.

I am not very high on Sanchez. He only started 1 year. I saw play out Thigpen for the next year and get McCoy or Bradford. I think they are more worth than Sanchez or Stafford.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I would at least be willing to listen to an argument for Stafford, but Sanchez isn't even worth a top 10 pick... let alone a top 3.

You referenced Elway. Look how long it took Elway to get to the Super Bowl. It took until his last two seasons to get there. You referencing Elway is a counterintuitive in your argument. By using Elway, you're basically saying that you're ok with waiting 15 years until the team has enough pieces around our QB to win a Super Bowl. But if you look at, say a Ben Roethlisberger, who's team was already built when he stepped in to be the final piece his rookie season, you see what everyone else is trying to say.

If you go out and drop $2 million on a car at Barrett-Jackson, are you going to bring it home to park it in your driveway, unprotected? Would that $2 million car be enough to complete the best collection of cars owned by one owner if it's the only car in the collection? In order for your investment to be successful, you need to surround it with complimentary pieces and provide protection. Right now, the Chiefs have a partly built garage and have just recently began a collection of complimentary pieces. Right now, the investment the Chiefs have put into their team, just isn't ready for a top flight purchase. ESPECIALLY when they might already have a guy who could potentially fill that role.

For the reasons that you like Sanchez, I like Leinart. Leinart won a heisman trophy and a national championship. We've seen what he can do with a complete team around him. The Cardinals of 2006 (where Leinart started 11 games) were not the Cardinals of this season. If its a franchise QB you want to get THIS season, trade a conditional 1st-3rd round 2010 pick to the Cards and get him. Then, let him sit for at least half the season to let him develop a little more and to keep his price low. Whatever we have to trade to get Leinart, it wouldn't be NEARLY as much as a #3 pick. I think Leinart is BY FAR the better QB between the two USC QBs.
    With all due respect, when it comes to Matt Lienart you are out of your f'n mind. Tebow and Bradford won Heisman's too. And you know what they were told? "Go back to school, because you will NOT be ranked first round".
    Tebow can say "I love Florida", Bradford can say "I want another shot at a Title", but I KNOW better.
    And you should too.

Elway was surrounded by incomplete garbage for YEARS. Thus, his long journey to Super Bowl victory.

Value, position, and pecking order; you KNOW these things!
    When you have a top 5 pick you have to consider what you pick otherwise you're going to make a guy the highest paid player in the league at his position by a huge degree and you'll mess your cap all up.

I'm done debating. There's a wrong way, and there's a right way to create and develop a football team at the professional level.
    Some guys will go round and round on this, determined to make you see the light.

I am not one of them. I leave you to your own devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    No one here is without exception a "dork", and this is not Jr. high.
    And comments such as his will be met with NO mercy, banning of DCS or not. This ain't my only house, and I roll the way I roll.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast