Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: no qb for first pick

Default no qb for first pick

stick with thigpen and have gray as second string and maybe huard as third. get rid of croyle all together

I'm not sold on the 2 top QBs, and i'm not sold on Thigpen either.

Here's how I look at it (as i've mentioned 500 times before):
    -1st off...We can't go the Brodie Croyle route again (meaning we can't put all our eggs in the Thigpen basket).. Say all you want but Cleveland Browns fans know exactly what i'm talking about!
    -2nd...If we don't take our franchise QB this year, how confident are we about pulling the trigger next year?? Everyone raves about Sam, Colt, and Tebow but they all come from Spread Offenses which creates ridiculous stats + Tebow will probably be converted to play another position.
    -3rd...Are we confident we'll be able to land Sam Bradford w/ our 1st round pick???
    - Lets say Thigpen sucks it up and we go 3-13, landing the 4th pick in the draft (using this years draft order).. If Bradford goes #1 we're left in the same position we are this year... (Do we reach for a QB or do we grab the best player available????...such as ILB Brandon Spikes or DT Terrance Cody...)
    Let's say we reach for Colt McCoy in the 2010 draft and he sucks it up because he can't adjust to playing under-center...What will we do then??

There are too many IFs in the Draft, but I still feel if we're confident in one of the 2 young QBs this year, then we should pull the trigger so we'll have a head start (you know so we can at least see what we have for our future)...

If we don't draft a QB and Thigpen fails, then our 2009 season will go down the drain...But if we draft one, we'll at least have someone to learn the system for a year before we throw them in the fire...

If thiggy and our QBOTF both turn out to be studs...well, it's not a bad problem to have..
    Last edited by kcmostwanted; 02-17-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Dont worry, we wont be drafting a QB at #3~

Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post

-1st off...We can't go the Brodie Croyle route again (meaning we can't put all our eggs in the Thigpen basket).. Say all you want but Cleveland Browns fans know exactly what i'm talking about!
    -2nd...If we don't take our franchise QB this year, how confident are we about pulling the trigger next year?? Everyone raves about Sam, Colt, and Tebow but they all come from Spread Offenses which creates ridiculous stats + Tebow will probably be converted to play another position.
    -3rd...Are we confident we'll be able to land Sam Bradford w/ our 1st round pick???
    - Lets say Thigpen sucks it up and we go 3-13, landing the 4th pick in the draft (using this years draft order).. If Bradford goes #1 we're left in the same position we are this year... (Do we reach for a QB or do we grab the best player available????...such as ILB Brandon Spikes or DT Terrance Cody...)
    Let's say we reach for Colt McCoy in the 2010 draft and he sucks it up because he can't adjust to playing under-center...What will we do then??

There are too many IFs in the Draft, but I still feel if we're confident in one of the 2 young QBs this year, then we should pull the trigger so we'll have a head start (you know so we can at least see what we have for our future)...

If we don't draft a QB and Thigpen fails, then our 2009 season will go down the drain...But if we draft one, we'll at least have someone to learn the system for a year before we throw them in the fire...

If thiggy and our QBOTF both turn out to be studs...well, it's not a bad problem to have..

Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post

Um, what about the other option?

If we pick a QB at 3, and both he and Thigpen fail because they have no one to block for them . . .

Why does our QB have to be drafted with the #3 pick?
    And JM, I know you already know everything, but contrary to your beliefs, we are not going to continue to suck!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

What can the Chiefs Expect to Pay the 3rd Pick in the NFL Draft?

by primetime 07 on Feb 16, 2009 11:45 AM CST in 2009 Draft

The 3rd pick in the draft in 2008, Matt Ryan's contract will likely cause the Chiefs problems.
    via www.unlockedsports.com
    The major downside to picking so high in the NFL draft is the money that's involved. The draft value trade chart you see floating around is largely considered outdated because it doesn't taken into account the increasing money paid to the top draft picks.
    We'll use the tables below to determine approximately how much the Kansas City Chiefs can expect to pay the 3rd pick in the NFL draft this year.

PickPlayerLengthTotalAvg/YearGuaranteed1Mario Williams6$54 million$9 million$26.5 million2Reggie Bush6$52.5 million$8.75 million$26.31 million3Vince Young6$58 million$9.67 million$25.74 million4D'Brickashaw Ferguson6$37.5 million$6.25 million$17.9 million
    How important is guaranteed money? Look at the variation of the total value of the contract in the first three picks. Most of these players won't see this contract lived out. They'll either be released/traded or extended/restructured by the time the deal runs out which is why guaranteed money is so important.

PickPlayerLengthTotalAvg/YearGuaranteed1JaMarcus Russell6$61 million$10.16 million$32 million2Calvin Johnson6$55 million$9.16 million$27.178 million3Joe Thomas5$42.5 million$8.5 million$23 million4Gaines Adams6$42 million$7 million$18.56 million
    The top 3 picks in the draft are very valuable. Take a look at the drop off from the 3rd to the 4th pick. 2006's 4th pick was nearly $8 million less in guaranteed money and 2007 was nearly $5 million less. Of course some of that depends on the length of the contract but the gap between the two picks may make it difficult in establishing a floor for the contract's guaranteed money.

PickPlayerLengthTotalAvg/YearGuaranteed1Jake Long5$57.5 million$11.5 million$30 million2Chris Long5$48 million$9.6 million$22.385 million3Matt Ryan6$72 million$12 million$34.75 million4Darren McFadden6$60 million$10 million$26 millionMatt Ryan got a hell of a deal. However, Jake Long got more guaranteed money per year so you can't necessarily look at this and say Ryan has a better deal. He's got more guaranteed money and available dollars to be earned, but Long's contract will get him to free agency/second contract quicker which is the goal.
    There are two important numbers to focus on in these charts - length of the contract and guaranteed money.
    Length
    The trend we noticed last year was players giving in on the total money of the contract to shorten the length. This is very, very important because the goal of ANY player is to get to free agency as quickly as possible. These are certainly HUGE contracts but the second contract is where you really set yourself up.
    For the Chiefs, I would prefer a 6 year contract, the maximum allowed, if we are picking a lineman. Offensive and defensive linemen have a lower bust-rate than quarterback and their failure doesn't necessarily devastate the future of the franchise like quarterback does.
    If we're selecting a quarterback, I think I would prefer a 5 year contract...just in case. If a high first round quarterback pans out, then his second contract will be massive whether his rookie deal was 5 or 6 years. Examples include Ben Roethlisberger (2004 draft) who signed an 8 year, $101 million contract over a year ago and Eli Manning (2004 draft) and Phillip Rivers (2004 draft) who will both likely cash in on $100 million extensions this offseason.
    But if that first round quarterback doesn't pan out then one less year to get him out of town will be essential in re-re-building.
    The agent for the player the Chiefs select might be pushing for a 5 year contract as opposed to 6. This is because agents only get paid when the player signs a new contract. So, like the player, the agent wants to get to the second contract as quickly as possible as well.
    When players switch agents it's usually a good sign that some contract negotiations are coming because said agent, like anyone else, wants to get paid.
    Guaranteed Money
    This is what these contracts really boil down to. With any player, there's no guarantee the team will get the production they paid for. If the player doesn't produce in his rookie deal, then he's not going to (necessarily) strike gold in his second contract.
    That said, it's the job of the agent to secure as much guaranteed money for the player. Injury and a lack of production are a couple of the reasons that the player won't get another big contract.
    Since all NFL contracts aren't fully guaranteed, coming at the player with the correct amount of guaranteed money is the golden ticket in contract negotiations.
    The Matt Ryan factor
    Matt Ryan was the 3rd pick in the draft last year so his contract will likely be the floor for the Chiefs negotiations.
    At a premium position, he got a deal that averaged $5.79 million guaranteed per year. That's up from Joe Thomas' $4.6 million guaranteed per year in 2007 and Vince Young's $4.29 million guaranteed annual average.
    Since Matt Ryan's guaranteed money was such a drastic leap from the previous year, the Chiefs will likely have quite the negotiation session. Agents simply will not accept less guaranteed money, on average, than the previous year at the same slot. Taking a less than market value deal is damaging to the agent's reputation and hinders their ability to sign clients in the future.
    What can the Chiefs expect to pay?
    We don't know yet whether the Chiefs 3rd pick will acquire a 5 or 6 year contract so let's base this off the important number - guaranteed money per year average.
    My guess for the ceiling of guaranteed money, based on the previous three years is an even $6 million per year. This would put the Chiefs 3rd pick in line with Jake Long's guaranteed money last year on a 5 year contract - $6 million per year.
    Using Matt Ryan's contract as the floor and my guess of $6 million guaranteed per year as the ceiling, this is what the Chiefs could be looking at paying in total guaranteed money this year.
    LengthFloorCeiling5 Year$28.95 million$30 million6 Year$34.75 million$36 million
    6 comments | 1 recs |digg_url = 'http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/2/16/760472/what-can-the-chiefs-expect';digg_title = 'What can the Chiefs Expect to Pay the 3rd Pick in the NFL Draft?';digg_skin = 'icon';digg_window = 'new'; sb_nation249:What can the Chiefs Expect to Pay the 3rd Pick in the NFL*Draft? - Arrowhead PrideBuzz up!

QB's in the taken in the top 5 or even the 1st rd, will demand to much money and are not worth the risk.....

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Why does our QB have to be drafted with the #3 pick?
    And JM, I know you already know everything, but contrary to your beliefs, we are not going to continue to suck!!
    Whoa! I did not say we're going to continue to suck!

I'm just saying that we have a whole lot better chance of grooming a QBOTF if we can keep them upright. Unless we build our OL, we're just going to David Carr the poor sucker.

I was only taking about the first pick because the name of the thread is: "no qb for first pick."

Frankly, Nate Davis with pick #2 isn't a terrible idea. Even though Whitlock likes him (which is usually a kiss of death), he looks like the next Rothlisberger out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Um, what about the other option?

If we pick a QB at 3, and both he and Thigpen fail because they have no one to block for them . . .
    Sorry, but this does not sound like a ringing endorsement of how good we are gonna be next year. It is possible to get a QB at #3 AND improve the O line.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast