Thread: Another draft possibility under the radar- Jason Smith?

Default Another draft possibility under the radar- Jason Smith?

He's relatively unknown by most, but this guy is a legit top-10 talent. He played OT at Baylor, was a four year starter, Wright & Mayock(screw whatever Kiper thinks) have him as a high first round pick. He is very quick for an offensive linemen, long arms, and apparently has great footwork. The only knock on him is his strength, he's been criticized for not filling out his bulky frame, but thats an easy fix. I think if we weren't to take Sanchez/Curry/Whoever, we could trade down and steal this guy. Next to Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe, this guy's pretty solid.

"Pro Bowl-caliber left tackle prospect who will just continue to get better as he develops. There are other offensive tackles that get more attention and hype but Jason Smith just might give them a run for their money by the time Draft Day rolls around. A former tight end who is very athletic and light on his feet, Smith looks like an ideal blindside protector." - Jason Wright

I think we have to give this guy a look, he seems promising, and may fly under a lot of teams radars come draft day. What do you all think?

EDIT: Here's the scouting report for this guy... Baylor Football - Baylor University Bears - baylorbears.com

Legit.
    Last edited by HokieChief 09; 02-16-2009 at 08:36 PM.
    2009 Chiefs - The start of a dynasty.

I also heard Todd McShay say the other day that he has the highest ceiling of any of the OTs. I think his quickness is going to allow him to dominate speed rushers.

Honestly, I think it's a tossup who the best OT of this draft will be between the Smiths and Monroe. I still like Monroe simply because he and Albert already have experience playing together. I could be wrong but from what I gather it goes something like this:

Andre Smith - Great run blocker, questionable pass blocker, has issues with managing weight
    Eugene Monroe - Well-rounded blocker, but has missed time in multiple seasons with injuries and isn't particularly strong
    Jason Smith - Great pass blocker, questionable run blocker, quickest of the 3
    Last edited by yashi; 02-17-2009 at 10:07 AM.

I agree, I think Jason is better then he gets credit for.

But like others have said the TOP 4 LT's on the board are really a toss up. I can see anyone of them being the first taken depending on what that team needs them for, (well rounded, pass block, run block, speed, size)

If the Lions take a LT with the first pick I'm guessing they will take the one who ever grades out best at being versatile. They drafted a RT last year in the 1st and have a "OK" LT atm, I can see them getting a LT that is for some reason (injures to other spots) be able to move them over since besides there current starters they are kinda like us with no good back ups. Thats why I see them taking Smith. He is said to be able to move over to G or RT if he needs to. Which means the Rams will probably take Monroe I'm guessing.

Then that leaves us with Oher/Smith, Crabtree, Stafford, Curry. MAN If the Lions and Rams take OT's I hope we can trade down hehe or Pioli might pull the trigger on Stafford.

Might be a good pick up, but our first rounder goes towards a PASS RUSHER, or a defensive guy.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>