Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the NFL and teams should rework player Contracts/Salaries?

Default Do you think the NFL and teams should rework player Contracts/Salaries?

What I mean by that, is basically give them a base salary, and then pay them on how the player performs throughout the game.

You would have starters make........say, lets keep it simple, $50k a game. And backups would make.....$35k a game. Then if the team won, everyone would get a $10k bonus.

I just think players make way to much money to begin with. And then when you got people like LJ, who doesn't seem to try or give a rats *** about trying since he got his money. Or sign a player like Ryan Sims to a big contract and he is a total bust....if you forced them to play for less then it might be better for everyone.

What do you think?
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

I'm not really what the pay system would be, but I agree 100% that rookies get paid WAY too much! When unproven college players are getting paid more than experienced NFL players, the system is screwed up.
    My idea:
    All rookies should be paid according to when they are drafted, and what position they play. Sign a one year contract, then after one year, based on their play, performance, teamwork AND conduct on and off the field, then they can negotiate for their first contract. They can only negotiate with their team that drafted them. They would not be eligible for free agency until they have 3 years in the league, unless they are cut from their team.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?u=2574&type=sigpic&dateline=1233413652

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfreak4life View Post
    I'm not really what the pay system would be, but I agree 100% that rookies get paid WAY too much! When unproven college players are getting paid more than experienced NFL players, the system is screwed up.
    My idea:
    All rookies should be paid according to when they are drafted, and what position they play. Sign a one year contract, then after one year, based on their play, performance, teamwork AND conduct on and off the field, then they can negotiate for their first contract. They can only negotiate with their team that drafted them. They would not be eligible for free agency until they have 3 years in the league, unless they are cut from their team.
    Well thats a good idea, but then look back at the LJ case.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

MY STANCE:

As an NFL player you need to make as much as you can possibly make! There is a very small window of opportunity and the BIG contract only comes once. As far as rookie contracts, the system is perfect, for players drafted after pick 20. 1-20 and ESPECIALLY 1-10 need to change. For instance, if we draft Curry # 3, he would be one of the highest paid LB's in the game. Thats not right. It will change, but the rule will probably will change within the next two years.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

I agree with Tek. The owners already have the power to cancel your contract at ANY time.. and if you think the players make too much, just look at the total revenue generated by the NFL, not just the % that the players get off the top.

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    What I mean by that, is basically give them a base salary, and then pay them on how the player performs throughout the game.

You would have starters make........say, lets keep it simple, $50k a game. And backups would make.....$35k a game. Then if the team won, everyone would get a $10k bonus.

I just think players make way to much money to begin with. And then when you got people like LJ, who doesn't seem to try or give a rats *** about trying since he got his money. Or sign a player like Ryan Sims to a big contract and he is a total bust....if you forced them to play for less then it might be better for everyone.

What do you think?
    When guys like Reggie White die early, they always perform an autopsy. And they almost always find mental and physical deterioration greatly in excess of what should be there at their age. That's because the human body was not meant to be hit repeatedly by 6'$" 260 lb LBs who can run a 4.3. People aren't going to put themselves thorugh that for the pittance you're suggesting.

The NFL needs to follow the NBA and MLB and guarantee contracts. We also need a rookie scale to avoid Ryan Sims sorts of problems.

Ah.. getting into rookie contracts, now that is what is whacked. Jmlamerson is right, a rookie pay scale is what is needed. High picks need to be substantially scaled back, while lower picks arent too terribly outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    When guys like Reggie White die early, they always perform an autopsy. And they almost always find mental and physical deterioration greatly in excess of what should be there at their age. That's because the human body was not meant to be hit repeatedly by 6'$" 260 lb LBs who can run a 4.3. People aren't going to put themselves thorugh that for the pittance you're suggesting.

The NFL needs to follow the NBA and MLB and guarantee contracts. We also need a rookie scale to avoid Ryan Sims sorts of problems.
    I definitly understand your thoughts on this JM. I agree to a point, but guaranteed contracts are a joke. I think its ruined NBA and MLB because players are not accountable for their play. In the NFl, if you dont play well, you dont get paid and thats how it should be. As far as rookie salary, again, I agree.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    I definitly understand your thoughts on this JM. I agree to a point, but guaranteed contracts are a joke. I think its ruined NBA and MLB because players are not accountable for their play. In the NFl, if you dont play well, you dont get paid and thats how it should be. As far as rookie salary, again, I agree.
    Would you agree that rookie salaries should be guaranteed, if we go to a scale?

FA contracts could stay as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    Well thats a good idea, but then look back at the LJ case.

Good point.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?u=2574&type=sigpic&dateline=1233413652

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast