Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: switching to the 3-4 defense

Thumbs up switching to the 3-4 defense

NFL.com Blogs Adam Schefter «

Adam Schefter
    What will move to 3-4 mean to Chiefs’ Dorsey?

Posted: February 18th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Glenn Dorsey, Kansas City Chiefs
    Kansas City announced its coaching staff this week. What it didn’t announce is that the Chiefs are planning to switch to a 3-4 defense.
    Under the guidance of new defensive coaches Clancy Pendergast and Gary Gibbs, the Chiefs are turning to the defense that has done so well for Pittsburgh and is back in vogue in the NFL. The Chiefs are going 3-4.
    Now Kansas City is going to have to tailor its personnel accordingly. But what is most intriguing and mysterious about it is where last year’s first-round pick, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, fits in. Dorsey might not be stout enough to play nose tackle in a 3-4, and he might not be big enough to play end in that style of defense.
    One year after becoming Kansas City’s top pick, there now are questions about Dorsey’s role.
    But the changes now are coming fast and furious in Kansas City, mainly on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    I guess we'll have to disagree on this one then. He was the consensus best player regardless of position at the senior bowl, and Scouts Inc. currently has him ranked as the 3rd best player, behind Crabtree and Curry.

NT is the most important position in a 3-4 defense, and not only is he far and away the best NT in the draft, but the best DT.
    I agree he probably is the best NT/DT. But I don't think he is in the top 10 players in the draft.

Plus we got to take into account the new LB coach which ever one it is. Should be a step up for our LB's and hope DJ can flourish like everyone thought he was going to.

Quote Originally Posted by fairladyZ View Post
    Or what about Hali on ILB?
    he's 6'3 275lbs. and he's got pretty good speed?

DJ---Hali---Scott---Curry
    Y'all convinced me on DJ as an ILB - so long as he gets a whole lot meaner than he currently is.

I would think Hali would lose the weight that slowed him down in 2008 and would be a natural Suggs-style OLB.

Here's what I feel like our optimal front seven looks like next year.

DE - Dorsey
    NT - Raji
    DE - Canty

OLB - Hali
    ILB - Johnson
    ILB - Bart Scott
    OLB - 3rd or 4th round pick, some kind of pass rusher, maybe like Brandon Williams from Texas Tech. 12 sacks last year, but he's undersized for DE.. sounds perfect for a 3-4 OLB. This is where the beauty of the 3-4 comes in from a GM perspective, all the undersized college DEs fit in perfectly.

this is one thing I disagree with jlamerson on. His argument is that DJ isn't big or strong enough to be an effective LB in the 3-4. But looking around the league, many of the best 3-4 ILBs are the same size as he is including Larry Foote, Bradie James, James Farrier, Stephen Cooper.

I'd actually prefer him to be inside because then we don't have to worry about him tangling with OTs and TEs all day when he's blitzing. Not to mention he doesn't have a lot of pass rush moves.

He also may default to ILB simply because we won't have any better tacklers on the roster...

the reason i personally believe DJ is a weak MLB, and a much better OLB is because a.) he cannot shed blocks very well because he is not as strong as the linebackers you mentioned...maybe hes the same size but pund for pound DJ's strength is that he is fast.. so he must b.) use his speed and athleticism on the -outside- to get around the pocket and cover TE's and slot receivers in zone...

i dont think he would that good a fit for a 3-4, but with some work he could be an effective pass rusher in that kind of a scheme...he just needs to learn to shed blocks and use more strength..

unless you wanted to put him at safety lol (kidding)

Here's what I feel like our optimal front seven looks like next year.

DE - Dorsey
    NT - Raji
    DE - Canty

OLB - Hali
    ILB - Johnson
    ILB - Bart Scott
    OLB - 3rd or 4th round pick, some kind of pass rusher, maybe like Brandon Williams from Texas Tech. 12 sacks last year, but he's undersized for DE.. sounds perfect for a 3-4 OLB. This is where the beauty of the 3-4 comes in from a GM perspective, all the undersized college DEs fit in perfectly.
    You know, if Michael Johnson drops to the 2nd round, as he's been projected to, then he'd be a perfect OLB for us next year.

We have to go FS in the 3rd or 4th I think as well, because there's no way Page will work as a FS in a 3-4.

I guess what I'm saying is that we need to get more OL in FA than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    You know, if Michael Johnson drops to the 2nd round, as he's been projected to, then he'd be a perfect OLB for us next year.

We have to go FS in the 3rd or 4th I think as well, because there's no way Page will work as a FS in a 3-4.

Johnson would be an interesting OLB. I'm scared to go defense 1st and 2nd though with an OL that has so many holes. It's also possible that Mack, Duke Robinson, or Ebon Britton drop to the 2nd round, all of which we'd be hard pressed not to draft.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post

Ian Campbell at KSU, I'm not sure about his speed, seems a bit slow watching him, but just a thought. Early in his career he was All Big 12, Honorable Mention All American, and Big 12 D Player of the year playing both DE and LB. Prince rolled around and essentially killed his career playing that 3-4 mumbo jumbo (why do it on a college team? I don't know). I wouldn't be surprised if he fell undrafted, and he's already shown great potential with the right coaching/system. It's worth consideration though, I'd hope for at least one OL pick in the first two rounds as well.

I agree that we keep DJ, but he's not gonna be used as an ILB in a 3-4 defense. He's always been an OLB, and we have to utilize his speed and pass rushing abilities from the outside...which we have failed to do over the last 3 years. We have misused him since the day we drafted him, I think it's about damn time he has a breakout year and everyone in the league recognizes him for the beast of a linebacker that he actually is.

Now from the standpoint of the draft, I still think we go Aaron Curry. It's evident that the defense is going to be priority this offseason. I don't see us trading down, no team is gonna trade up to the #3 spot, so I think Raji is probably out of the question at this point. I think we go either Curry/Orakpo now, and then probably Michael Johnson in the 2nd if he's still there.

Jarrad Page- gone
    Alphonso Boone- gone
    Tamba Hali- I don't know if he will be good at LB, but i still think we keep him
    DJ- keep him at OLB, please.
    Demorrio Williams- keep as a backup, maybe utilize him on the inside
    Donnie Edwards- gone
    Glenn Dorsey- Honestly, i dont think he can be a NT, but at the same time we definitely dont get rid of him. a move to DE is a possibility
    Pat Surtain- probably gone.
    Brandon Carr/Flowers will be the starters.
    Bernard Pollard is gonna have a huge year.
    In free agency i think we have to make a push for Canty, Peppers, Scott. I agree, Vilma is probably out of the question, as is Haynesworth.

This is bar-none, going to be the most interesting offseason this team has had in a long time. I'm so pumped to see what we do...go chiefs.
    2009 Chiefs - The start of a dynasty.

I know one thing, If DJ does play one of the insides, we'll find out real quick what kind of man he is. Taking on guards more and seeing downhill runners more often.

Personnally I dont see it, if hes supposed to be real fast then he should be on the outside cuttin off outside runners and pass rushing.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast