Thread: Chiefs add another coach and name the responsibilities of the other Offensive coaches

Default Chiefs add another coach and name the responsibilities of the other Offensive coaches

Haley Adds Carthon To Staff

February 19, 2009 - Bob Gretz |
    Todd Haley continued to add to his coaching staff announcing Thursday afternoon that Maurice Carthon will serve as assistant head coach.
    Carthon comes over from the Arizona Cardinals, where he spent the last two seasons as the team’s running backs coach. He’s the third member of that Cardinals staff to follow Haley, joining Clancy Pendergast and Dedric Ward.
    He also brings another Bill Parcells protege to join Haley and Bill Muir, along with Scott Pioli.
    While the team’s release of the information says only that Carthon’s title is assistant head coach, it would appear that Carthon will handle the running backs for the Chiefs staff. That’s certainly something he knows a lot about, having spent 11 years in pro football playing the fullback position. Coming out of Arkansas State, he played for three years (1983-85) with the New Jersey Generals of the United States Football League. Although his main duties were to block for Herschel Walker with the Generals, he did run for 1,042 yards and 11 touchdowns during the 1984 USFL season.
    He then spent seven seasons with the New York Giants (1985-91) and a final season with the Indianapolis Colts (1992). He was part of the Giants Super Bowl winning teams under Bill Parcells in the 1986 and 1990 seasons.
    Carthon now owns 15 years of coaching experience in the NFL. Prior to his two seasons in Arizona, he was the offensive coordinator for Romeo Crennel with the Cleveland Browns (2005-06). Before that, he was the offensive coordinator/running backs coach for two seasons under Parcells with the Dallas Cowboys (2003-04). He was two seasons with the Detroit Lions (2001-02), first as running backs coach and then offensive coordinator for head coach Marty Mornhinweg. Carthon was the running backs coach for four years with the New York Jets (1997-2000), three of those years under Parcells and the last under Al Groh. He was Groh’s assistant head coach in 2000.
    Carthon began his coaching career with the New England Patriots (1994-96) under Parcells as an offensive assistant, running backs coach and special teams assistant.

Haley announced the responsibilities of six other members of Kansas City’s coaching staff: Chan Gailey (offensive coordinator), Bob Bicknell (tight ends), Joe D’Alessandris (assistant offensive line), Steve Hoffman (special teams), Bill Muir (offensive line) and Dedric Ward (wide receivers).
    Only position missing would seem to be quarterbacks coach, although those duties may fall to Gailey.
    The addition of Carthon now gives the Chiefs four different coaches who have held the title of offensive coordinator in the NFL: Carthon, Haley, Gailey and Muir.
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 02-20-2009 at 02:38 AM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Sounds like a pretty stout offensive side coaching staff.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

If i was Gaily i would be pissed that I wasnt a asst head coach since Haley might want to call his own play. Although it does seem to be a nice set up for offense. Lets see what he can do for defense.

Those offensive staff meetings are gonna be a fight. Lots of "chiefs" (pun intended) maybe no indians. Hopefully Hailey will let Chan do his thing and all the former OC's in the room will not get bent out of shape if their idea doesnt jive.

Quote Originally Posted by jtandcrew View Post
    If i was Gaily i would be pissed that I wasnt a asst head coach since Haley might want to call his own play. Although it does seem to be a nice set up for offense. Lets see what he can do for defense.
    not to mention Gailey's been an NFL head coach and Haley's only been so much as a coordinator for 2 seasons. Oh well, HaleyGailey time.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    not to mention Gailey's been an NFL head coach and Haley's only been so much as a coordinator for 2 seasons. Oh well, HaleyGailey time.
    You gotta wonder if Hunt/Pioli demanded that Chan stay for at least another year for some kinda stability if nothing else..not to mention if Haley falls flat on his a$$
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    You gotta wonder if Hunt/Pioli demanded that Chan stay for at least another year for some kinda stability if nothing else..not to mention if Haley falls flat on his a$$
    i think haley will do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    i think haley will do fine.
    OK. I remember 3 years ago how we all thought that Herm would get us to the next level. Yeah - the next level DOWN.
    SHUT IT