Thread: Whats left in Free Agency?

Default Whats left in Free Agency?

So a lot of the big names in FA have either been re-signed or have been franchised. The way I see it, here is what is left by position.

OT
    Tyson Clabo, 27 - Falcons (RFA)

OG
    Harvey Dahl, 28 - Falcons (RFA)

OC
    Jason Brown, 26 - Ravens

OLB
    Julius Peppers, 29 - Panthers (Franchised) (3-4)
    Terrell Suggs, 26 - Ravens (Franchised) (3-4)

MLB
    Karlos Dansby, 27 - Cardinals (Franchised)
    Jonathan Vilma, 27 - Saints
    Bart Scott, 29 - Ravens
    Channing Crowder, 25 - Dolphins

DE
    Chris Canty, 26 - Cowboys (3-4)

So, there doesnt seem to be much left to be picked up without sending off draft picks (which I am against). I dont think Peppers is worth sending draft picks to Carolina, and the same for Suggs.

I think our best bet would be to go after either Scott or Vilma depending if we are going to a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, respectively. We can pick up a good OLB in the first (Curry) or second rounds (Clay Matthews, Connor Barwin, Brian Cushing, Clint Sintim).

I wouldnt mind seeing Chris Canty here too regardless of which system we use. If we stay 4-3 I think he will boost our DL run defense. I have questions about his ability to do a speed rush, but worst case scenario, he can always be subbed out for a speedier DE (Babin or Draft) on obvious passing downs.

On offense I would love to see us grab Jason Brown. He is a great, young center. Draft an OT in either round 1 or 2, and have Niswanger and McIntosh battle over the RG spot.

If we grab Brown, Canty, and a MLB here is what we will probably look like:

OL
    Albert - Waters - Brown - Niswanger/McIntosh - Draft

DL
    Canty - Dorsey - Tank - Hali or

Canty - Tank? - Dorsey/Mcbride

LB
    DJ - Vilma/Scott - Draft or
    DJ - Vilma/Scott - Draft (Curry) - Draft (Sintim, Barwin, Cushing, etc)

Unfortunately I think if we go to 3-4 full time, we will still have a few holes on D. But 4-3 doesnt look bad.

It would be nice to go into the draft with the only big needs being an OLB, OT and speed DE to develop. We could use a 3rd or 4th for a G to develop to replace Waters in a couple years.

If anyone knows of any other top free agents we should look at, Im all ears.

Nice post Jap1. Laying it out like you did, I would be all about Canty/Peppers or Vilma/Peppers. The vet leadership we could get out of Peppers would be invaluable. I wonder if KC is one of the 4 teams he would agree to be traded to? Kinda doubt it..
    SHUT IT

My bad. He's franchised. I think we'd need 2 1st rounders to get him. No chance.
    SHUT IT

The Raiders cut Gibril Wilson today, who was kind of a cap casualty after tying up so much money with Asomugha. He's one of the better safeties in the league and only 27.. obviously safety isn't the #1 priority, but he would be a really nice pick up because he's a lot better than Pollard or Page.

It would be nice to have him stick it to the Raiders and Al Davis in a Chiefs uniform.
    Last edited by yashi; 02-21-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    The Raiders cut Gibril Wilson today, who was kind of a cap casualty after tying up so much money with Asomugha. He's one of the better safeties in the league and only 27.. obviously safety isn't the #1 priority, but he would be a really nice pick up because he's a lot better than Pollard or Page.

It would be nice to have him stick it to the Raiders and Al Davis in a Chiefs uniform.
    He could be a nice upgrade to the SS spot (currently Pollard) depending on how much he would be asking. If we can get him cheap, I would love that pickup.

But I wouldnt want to spend big bucks on him because I think Pollard isnt too bad. He would look a lot better playing SS if we were not in a Cover 2, where he would be playing closer to the line and have less deep coverage responsibilities.

I would really like to get Canty and either Crowder, Scott or Vilma. Any of these guys would improve our Defense greatly!!
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?u=2574&type=sigpic&dateline=1233413652

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfreak4life View Post
    I would really like to get Canty and either Crowder, Scott or Vilma. Any of these guys would improve our Defense greatly!!
    Maybe we can get all of 'em!
    SHUT IT