Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No new big FA!!

Default No new big FA!!

Clark hunt announced that there will not be any big signings in FA.

The Chiefs will not be INITIALLY active in free agency, but will then be more aggressive towards the end of free agency..The chiefs will be more agressive this year in FA than in the recent past few years.

What are all that money from the cap room going to be used on?

Link please? this little tidbit doesn't really mean much, just typical speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by budde View Post
    Clark hunt announced that there will not be any big signings in FA.

What are all that money from the cap room going to be used on?
    As a new poster why are you starting new threads? There is numerous threads about this subject.
    You may want to consider posting on other peoples threads for awhile and reading past threads before starting new ones yourself.
    SHUT IT

Clark Hunt Speaks to Chiefs Community about Offseason Plans

by primetime 07 on Feb 26, 2009 7:33 AM CST in 2009 Offseason 2 comments

Kansas City Chiefs owner Clark Hunt spent some time on a conference call with season ticket holders last night outlining the Chiefs' plan leading up to the season. Thanks to a tip from Elway's least biggest fan in this FanPost I was able to listen to parts of the call. Also, CALIFAN1986 was kind enough to provide a quick review of Hunt's call.
    We'll go over a few of our owner's main points here.
    Brodie Croyle will be back in 2009
    This isn't much of a surprise considering he's entering the final year of his rookie contract. At $530,000, Croyle is an inexpensive backup that likely won't return in 2010 barring any significant injury to the two quarterbacks that are likely to be ahead of him on the depth chart.
    When he signed a 4 year contract on July 28th, 2006, many of us expected him to be the quarterback of the future. Little did we know that the injury history that plagued him in college would continue to haunt him (Actually, we should have known. The writing was on the wall).
    The "future" label has been replaced with a bandage and there's no reason to think he'll be back with the team following the 2009 season.
    Don't expect the Chiefs to sign a big name free agent
    Hunt said the Chiefs won't be active in the early goings of free agency.
    Translation: Don't expect any big name free agents signings.
    With most of the current crop of top flight free agents either A) resigning with their team (Channing Crowder) or B) asking for too much money (Albert Haynesworth), the Chiefs will, as expected, look for the value free agents.
    GM Scott Pioli made a career out of these types of moves in New England so expect the Chiefs to do the same in 2009. When the time comes, we'll be active in free agency. But just because the free agency period is about to start, doesn't mean we have to reach on the limited talent available.
    An elementary economic rule applies here: When the supply is low, the demand is high. In this case, the demand means overpaying. And when you're working with a limited amount of money (i.e. salary cap), overpaying can be devastating.
    As Pioli has said before, it's not about the best 53 players, it's about the right 53 players.
    The Chiefs will add a quarterback through free agency or the draft
    Tyler Thigpen will apparently be given the chance to start in 2009 but it won't be without competition.
    At this point, I don't see anyone the Chiefs could draft that would be able to initially beat out Thigpen for the starting job. Pioli's past history doesn't bode well for those folks looking to draft a quarterback with the 3rd pick. That's not to say he won't, but even a Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez likely can't beat Thigpen in a camp competition in 5 months.
    If we go the route of free agency, there are a few names that could push Thigpen in a camp competition. Names like Jeff Garcia, J.P. Losman or Byron Leftwich come to mind when looking at the current crop of free agent quarterbacks.
    If a veteran is added through free agency, and beats out Tyler Thigpen, then his career with the Chiefs will likely be relegated to backup role.
    That said, I fully expect Thigpen to be the starter come September. His experience in the system and success with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey make him the front runner at this point.
    The Chiefs will be more offensively oriented in 2009 than the Herm Edwards era
    Captain Obvious sighting here. Though I think many of us knew (or hoped for) this, it's good to hear it come straight from our owner's mouth.
    If we want to step into speculation zone, then this could be construed as an endorsement for the ArrowSpread since that was the only offense that consistenly generated points for the Chiefs last season.
    In addition to that, we haven't really changed any personnel on offense so why would a focus on offense include anything but the ArrowSpread?
    Scott Pioli believes in a great defense
    Amen. Though the old adage "defense wins championships" may not ring as true as it once did because the league is becoming increasingly focused on the offense and the passing game, it's imperative to have a defense that is average to above average.
    One side of the ball has to be great and the other side has to be at least average to be legitimate Super Bowl contenders.
    I won't speculate on which side will be great and which side will be average. I trust Pioli understands the importance of a strong defensive scheme.
    As I think about what moves the Chiefs may or may not make come Friday night when the clock strikes 12 and free agency begins, I'm reminded of the 'plug-n-play' approach by the New England Patriots.
    It's not about the players, it's about the scheme. It's not about the players, it's about the team.
    If the Chiefs don't sign the biggest fish in the pond, don't beat the owner of the pond over the head with your fishing pole. As one AP commenter pointed out, we don't necessarily want to sign the top free agents, we want to make the top free agents.

i think it's a smart plan. one great player will not right this ship, but a bunch of good players could make it smooth sailing. iow don't spend all your money on one big name, use it wisely to get as many solid players as you can.

i can live with whatever they choose.

The hole confrence call is available at kcchiefs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    As a new poster why are you starting new threads? There is numerous threads about this subject.
    You may want to consider posting on other peoples threads for awhile and reading past threads before starting new ones yourself.
    Who elected you to the thread police?

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Who elected you to the thread police?

It may be sound advice, bike, but Coach is right; as a new member he has as much right to post new threads as you, me or anyone here does. Remember, you have no obligation to contribute to any thread you feel has no relevance.

The one thing I could say is, I try not to go against rules regarding threads and I'm probably to soft spoken <cpu wise> otherwise, everyone has an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast