Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassel traded to the Chiefs

Default Cassel traded to the Chiefs

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Chiefs complete trade for Cassel «

Update:
    Chiefs get Vrabel and Cassel in exchange for the Chiefs 2009 2nd rd(34th) pick.
    Last edited by Coach; 02-28-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added update.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Your kidding right? We need atleast 2 more LBs to make up a 3/4 D and they need to have someone to rotate in and out with as they can't go every down. I know Vrabel needs someone to help out atleast one down or so. I hope we get Curry and I would really love to see us pick up Derrik Brooks from FA as he was released from Tampa. That would make our LB core awsome.

You can have the four best LBs to ever play the game, but they are gonna look like crap if they don't get good support from the d-line.

But, if you get great D-line play, then you can add four from the waiver wires to play at LB and they will look like the best bargains that you have ever seen.

Much like QB, very few LBs can really look good without good play from the line in front of them.

Edwards is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

I think Edwards, Thomas, DJ and Williams would have been fine with improved D-line play and the system change.
    I know. But he wouldn't have been, had I had my way.

I think Edwards, Thomas, DJ and Williams would have been fine with improved D-line play and the system change.
    Um, really? Thomas and Williams are terrible, Edwards is washed up, and DJ is vastly underachieving. As a group, they're worse than USCs LB corps. We needed LBs this offseason not matter whether we drafted, traded, or got FAs.

You somehow are seeing an 8-8 team. But I see a 2-14 team still.

We have gaping holes on both lines. And we are adding a QB and a LB? That makes us an 8-8 team?

Not yet.
    You forget that we also added a real coach. And sure we need more help on the lines. And we'll get it.

You'd be surprised how far a real GM and HC goes.

Part of our problem on D is if the DLine didn't close the holes and a decent back got past them, none of our LBs could compitantly react in time to stop them which is why the Titans ran for 300+ yds on us in 1 game.they need to work in tandem plus going to the 3-4 will make that change as 4 LBs can close the gap faster than 3 in a zone. Don't get me wrong, we definately need to address the D-Line and I think Pioli will but we still have Hali and Dorsey on the line , both were All Americans in College I have to believe that just because they came to the Pro level they automatically suck.
    Yep. Although even I'd admit that part of our LB problem was the Cover 2.

We're not even close to done in FA. We've got OL and DE help coming.

I doubt The Pats shot down the Lions' 1st round pick, for our second round pick.
    Yes they would've. The financial implications of taking a 1st overall pick would have swamped the Pats Cap space for this season as well as next season in terms of signing their young talent already under contract this year to prevent them from going to Free Agency. THe amount of money the rookie pool demands for the first ten picks in the draft is absurd and with New England's limited cap room as it is it would have been fiscally irresponsible to trade for a pick that high in the draft.

Our 2nd round pick at 34 is practically considered a late round first round draft choice where the top prospects on a teams draft board are still going to be avalible. coupled with the fact that the Pats are aging as well the ability for them to have 3 second round draft choice picks is a huge move in stabilizing their roster.

Yeah. We got a good price. But I don't think we needed LBs either.

Vraebel has the approximate value of a 6th rounder IMO. So it really doesn't factor in much to me.
    You have to be kidding me man. Our LBs COULDN'T TACKLE AT ALL! Can you say the D-line is responsible for how bad the LBs are when they miss tackle after tackle over and over? We need both and we're in the process of getting both.

I realize a lot of people liked Thigpen, which is why some people aren't as WOW'd by this trade. I didn't think Thigpen was too bad, but it's clear that Pioli and Haley are convinced that he just isn't good enough to operate a system other than the spread. However, this presents an opportunity. We could trade Thigpen and get a 2nd rounder possibly. Or just keep him as backup.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    You have to be kidding me man. Our LBs COULDN'T TACKLE AT ALL! Can you say the D-line is responsible for how bad the LBs are when they miss tackle after tackle over and over? We need both and we're in the process of getting both.

I realize a lot of people liked Thigpen, which is why some people aren't as WOW'd by this trade. I didn't think Thigpen was too bad, but it's clear that Pioli and Haley are convinced that he just isn't good enough to operate a system other than the spread. However, this presents an opportunity. We could trade Thigpen and get a 2nd rounder possibly. Or just keep him as backup.
    I say keep him. He'd be the best backup in the league. Hell extend his contract, and make sure he's on the team for the next few years. Use him in Wildcat style gadget plays and as a slot receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    We didn't need LBs?! Are we going to go to a 3-1-7 for our defense next season?!

No 2nd round draft pick would play as good as Vrabel next season. He's one of the best 3-4 LBs in the league.

All of a sudden, we look like an 8-8 team. If the rest of FA and draft goes as well, a playoff berth isn't that crazy of a dream.

Now that would be funny..... You know we don't have the D backs for that

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Um, really? Thomas and Williams are terrible, Edwards is washed up, and DJ is vastly underachieving. As a group, they're worse than USCs LB corps. We needed LBs this offseason not matter whether we drafted, traded, or got FAs.

You forget that we also added a real coach. And sure we need more help on the lines. And we'll get it.

You'd be surprised how far a real GM and HC goes.
    Like I said. LBs are made to look good, or bad, by the play of the linemen in front of them. If the linemen are hampering the blockers, then LBs don't get blocked.

That didn't happen last season. So the LBs that had always been good elsewhere looked like crap.

And while I was among the loudest to scream for Herms head, I have very little faith in Haley.

The Arizona Cardinals? Are we seriously trying to emulate The Arizona Cardinals?

Even with their highly overachieving playoff run, they were 12-8, having played in a division with The 49ers, Rams and clipped-winged Seahawks.

I'm not trying to dismiss Haley. But I definitely have my doubts. Same as I do have some hopes for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post

The vast majority of missed tackles that I watched from our LB corp were while being blocked. Either by the opponents' offense, the defensive linemen, or by Jared Page.

It is especially difficult to make a tackle, when you have Tank Tyler in your lap.

Beyond that, everyone misses a few. That's what they did. They missed a few.