Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassel traded to the Chiefs

Default Cassel traded to the Chiefs

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Chiefs complete trade for Cassel «

Update:
    Chiefs get Vrabel and Cassel in exchange for the Chiefs 2009 2nd rd(34th) pick.
    Last edited by Coach; 02-28-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added update.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    And finding a quality pass-rushing DE is already one of the hardest things to do. It's even harder when you are also trying to fill four starting O-line positions.
    Our pass rushers will come in the form of OLBs in the 3-4, which will likely be Hali and Vrabel. I think Hali will do well rushing off the edge in this scheme and offenses will be left guessing which one is going to rush the passer every play.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Our pass rushers will come in the form of OLBs in the 3-4, which will likely be Hali and Vrabel. I think Hali will do well rushing off the edge in this scheme and offenses will be left guessing which one is going to rush the passer every play.
    Oh yeah. Forgot about the 3-4 switch.

But I think Hali lacks the speed and agility to play OLB.

I could, however, see him playing ILB in a 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Oh yeah. Forgot about the 3-4 switch.

But I think Hali lacks the speed and agility to play OLB.

I could, however, see him playing ILB in a 3-4.
    I doubt he has the tackling ability to play ILB, and he wouldn't get to use his pass rushing moves either. At OLB he would get to play up on the line. I think it'd be the easiest transition for him. 3-4 OLB is effectively a glorified 4-3 DE that drops back sometimes. Hali is roughly the same size as Merriman, and ran a 4.75 40 to Merriman's 4.66 (which was about 30 lbs ago for him). I think Hali would be fine though. He really doesn't have the size or run stopping ability to play 3-4 DE.

I think our 2 best tacklers will need to play ILB, which I think would be DJ and Curry (if we draft him). Because DJ, Curry, and Vrabel are all very versatile, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them switching around a lot to keep the offense guessing.
    Last edited by yashi; 02-28-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Default Good trade

With the second round pick the Chiefs get 2 starters. The chiefs get 2 players that understand what it takes to win. This means that they can skip Sanchez and Stafford with the third pick. either an OT or LB can be picked.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Hali would do fine rushing off the edge ... if he loses about 10-15 lbs. The problem is that an OLB doesnt rush the QB on every play. He is a LB first. Which means he has pass coverage and open field tackling responsibilities.

Hali hasnt dropped back into coverage or made many open field tackles in his career. And that would be his primary responsibility. Those are the things that make good LBs. Look at James Harrison, one of the best OLBs. Yeah he makes sacks, but what was his biggest contribution to the Superbowl ... his INT.

And to think that this all started when Pollard took out Brady.

BTW what do all you new guys think of the site?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    And to think that this all started when Pollard took out Brady.

BTW what do all you new guys think of the site?
    I like it, I just wish they had a member map that everyone could enjoy!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

This is indeed some good news!

Wow what a weekend! Today new QB, tomorrow KU will beat MU!

Working nights. wow! there were rumblings yesterday about this deal. I did not want it, but am starting to wrap my brain around it. Especially for the second rounder and a conditional, next year. Both QB's had "similar" numbers: Matt- 21 td's/11 int's and Tyler had 18 td's/ 12 int's. The surrounding cast that Cassel had is the one thing that bothers me, and several others on this board. But bottom line is he has won! rumors are floating now that maybe we still might deal Tyler to Tampa? oh, I wonder what # Matt will be wearing.... most certainly not 16.

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    Working nights. wow! there were rumblings yesterday about this deal. I did not want it, but am starting to wrap my brain around it. Especially for the second rounder and a conditional, next year. Both QB's had "similar" numbers: Matt- 21 td's/11 int's and Tyler had 18 td's/ 12 int's. The surrounding cast that Cassel had is the one thing that bothers me, and several others on this board. But bottom line is he has won! rumors are floating now that maybe we still might deal Tyler to Tampa? oh, I wonder what # Matt will be wearing.... most certainly not 16.
    I think we need and to keep Thig as our backup! He deserves it and I am selfish. I think he did a great job, even though we did not win... we started with a failed line and a couple glass QB's - motivation was lost and what Thig did do for the team was his best. I believe he will be a great QB someday with the right team and hope all the best for him.