Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Cassel traded to the Chiefs

Default Cassel traded to the Chiefs

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Chiefs complete trade for Cassel «

Update:
    Chiefs get Vrabel and Cassel in exchange for the Chiefs 2009 2nd rd(34th) pick.
    Last edited by Coach; 02-28-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added update.

Getting both of those players for a 2nd round pick I agree is down right fishy! As a Chief fan I am all for it and could not be more excited about what Pioli is doing for our team!!

We now need to focus on protecting Cassell and giving him some time!! He has way more potential that Thiggy!! I can't wait for the season to start!!!!!!!

Bring it on!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Hali would do fine rushing off the edge ... if he loses about 10-15 lbs. The problem is that an OLB doesnt rush the QB on every play. He is a LB first. Which means he has pass coverage and open field tackling responsibilities.

Hali hasnt dropped back into coverage or made many open field tackles in his career. And that would be his primary responsibility. Those are the things that make good LBs. Look at James Harrison, one of the best OLBs. Yeah he makes sacks, but what was his biggest contribution to the Superbowl ... his INT.
    Odds are that they don't make it to that game if he (Harrison) isn't so successful in pass rushing.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    He was actually sacked 47 times (48 times for the Pats total allowed counting Brady's game ender). Compared to Thigpen who was sacked 26 times (Plus the 11 on Huard and Croyle adds to 37 for the Chiefs) our lines were comparable in terms of badness.

Thipen rushed 62 times for 380 yards while Cassel rushed 72 times for 270 yards. The per avg. is down on Cassel but then again Thigpen was a RB/WR/PR in High School before converting QB at Costal Carolina so I'd expect his totals to be higher.

Never the less, Cassel is as mobile as Thigpen is so he should do just fine in KC.
    Note that That Pats O-line was fifth best in Sacks Allowed in '07.

The difference between '07 and '08 was the QB.

And the result was going from fifth best, to fifth worst.

Is it more likely that the blockers just suddenly decided to suck, or that the new QB struggled with decision making and held the ball too much?

For The Chiefs' O-line, the major difference was going to a gimmick-heavy spread offense and a forced QB change.

The Pats' O-line is far better than ours.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Even though I appreciate the enthusiasm you have for the moment andtelling Herm the Worm to stick it up his a$$ basically, I have to say that it was Dick Vermiel that built the team he had when he came to be our Head Coach and it was also Dick Vermiel that told Carl Petersen that we should give Herm the Worm the Head Coaching job. I'm not sure where you believe that Herm got the players from when he started here but even with the team Vermiel built The Worm couldn't do anything with it. The decision to give the Worm the team as HC was done so because the Worm actually played on the very same Eagles team that Dick Vermiel built and took to the Superbowl to lose the the Frackin LA Haiders. If my memory serves me the Worm was a walk on as Vermiel allowed people to actually go into Veterans Stadium and do a try out so Dick could try to turn what was a sad losing team that was on a losing streak that was actually worst than our Chiefs have been on. Now in present day I do believe like you that the Worm was actually trying to lose because he wanted to get his franchise QB by securing the #1 pick in the draft and using it to secure Stafford. Well little did he know that when it was all done and said that Clark didn't want anything done in that same manner, Carl Petersen had issues with Clark Hunt wanting to dismiss the Worm so he resigned and in comes Scott Pioli and we are now at thepoint where we have 2 players from a team that has been on an incredible run in the new millenium winning I think it's 4 Superbowls out of the last 6 years. The reason they won those championships is because Scott Pioli himself was the Patriots GM and now he is here doing it for us. Thanks for feeling the need to vent on The Worm but don't forget to blame Carl 'The King' Petersen for actually allowing the Worm to get away with his losing ways for the last 2 seasons just to aquire as many draft picks as they could simply so the Chiefs wouldn't need to spend money in the Free Agency. I am soooooooooooo glad that regime is done and gone forever.
    Vermiels recommendation was for, then Chiefs OC, Al Saubders.

He is friends with Herm. But he did not give his recommendation for Herm.

Once the decision was made, he did put the usual positive spin on it. But that is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    You got some bad info bro, Pioli got Vrabel and Cassell for the 34th over all pick only.
    We don't have to give a conditional pick for Vrabel??????

Quote Originally Posted by Chief4Ever&Ever View Post
    Getting both of those players for a 2nd round pick I agree is down right fishy! As a Chief fan I am all for it and could not be more excited about what Pioli is doing for our team!!

We now need to focus on protecting Cassell and giving him some time!! He has way more potential that Thiggy!! I can't wait for the season to start!!!!!!!

Bring it on!!!!
    ya, but its not as fishy as everybody and the media think.

The 34th is practically a late 1st rounder. Another team that gives them their 1st for (example the 20th) is going to cost a lot more. And the chances of a late 1st rounder that the Pats are eyeing still being there at 34th is more likely than not being there. And they target a multitude of players. So Pats actually just saved some $$.

Noobs? this is too funny, the Pats set themselves up with some of the best picks in the draft, 2nd round picks are gold right now, their 4 year contracts turn to 6 basically with the last 2 restricted now that the way the league is headed....makes those picks valuable, very valuable. They could secure 4 starters easily...have you seen how well they draft at the end of the first? Same thing in the early 2nd...

The trade made a lot of sense, The pats had already signed Taylor, so it wasnt to clear space for his tiny contract, the Pats are looking at Peppers and to extend some of their own...

We may have 50 mil in cap room, but we handed them 18, and thats a HUGE amount if you look at where we were...just 5 years ago.

heard? I just dont like attacking other people...

See, forums are just a bunch of people stating opinions, this means you dont have to read said opinions, but it should be done in good taste...

To be heard? Then what? Be Stoked that people who dont know my name, know that I dislike your approach? please....

Stay on topic please.

I'll be honest I have not liked this trade from the get go. Aside from hiring Haley I see Pioli as a huge disappointment. Vrabel is solid but old, Cassel is a HUGE question mark. I think we would have been much better served by keeping our 2nd round pick and taking Stafford or Sanchez in the first and using the 34th overall on a LB.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCarroll View Post
    I'll be honest I have not liked this trade from the get go. Aside from hiring Haley I see Pioli as a huge disappointment. Vrabel is solid but old, Cassel is a HUGE question mark. I think we would have been much better served by keeping our 2nd round pick and taking Stafford or Sanchez in the first and using the 34th overall on a LB.
    !!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCarroll View Post
    Must be cheap drugs.