Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassel traded to the Chiefs

Default Cassel traded to the Chiefs

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Chiefs complete trade for Cassel «

Update:
    Chiefs get Vrabel and Cassel in exchange for the Chiefs 2009 2nd rd(34th) pick.
    Last edited by Coach; 02-28-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added update.

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    Yes they would've. The financial implications of taking a 1st overall pick would have swamped the Pats Cap space for this season as well as next season in terms of signing their young talent already under contract this year to prevent them from going to Free Agency. THe amount of money the rookie pool demands for the first ten picks in the draft is absurd and with New England's limited cap room as it is it would have been fiscally irresponsible to trade for a pick that high in the draft.

Our 2nd round pick at 34 is practically considered a late round first round draft choice where the top prospects on a teams draft board are still going to be avalible. coupled with the fact that the Pats are aging as well the ability for them to have 3 second round draft choice picks is a huge move in stabilizing their roster.
    Excellent points. This trade was about clearing cap room for the Pats. At the end of the day, they cleared $17mm in cap room and turned a 7th round pick into the 34th pick. They need this money to re-sign some players. Also, the 2nd round is a great place to be picking. There is not that much drop off in talent and those players are a heck of a lot cheaper to sign. If the Pats wanted our 1st rd pick, they probably could have had it. But the 3rd pick is going to get $30mm guaranteed money plus approx $5mm in salary. It would have eaten up the cap room they just cleared with this trade.

This truly was a win-win trade. I'm just glad the Chiefs were one of the winners instead of the Lions or Bucs.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    The vast majority of missed tackles that I watched from our LB corp were while being blocked. Either by the opponents' offense, the defensive linemen, or by Jared Page.

It is especially difficult to make a tackle, when you have Tank Tyler in your lap.

Beyond that, everyone misses a few. That's what they did. They missed a few.
    Oh, I agree that our OL, DL, and FS sucked. But our LBs did too. We need to replace most of the personnel on the team. And again, we are. We're two days into FA. Relax. Pioli has everything scoped out.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Oh, I agree that our OL, DL, and FS sucked. But our LBs did too. We need to replace most of the personnel on the team. And again, we are. We're two days into FA. Relax. Pioli has everything scoped out.

Why would you tell me to relax? Was I flying off the handle there?

I have been dealing with Herm Edwards the past three years. A huge load has been lifted.

We just disagree about how severe the problems are, and the specific areas that deserve the most attention.

I love it. PS, Huard has already been released.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    This truly was a win-win trade. I'm just glad the Chiefs were one of the winners instead of the Lions or Bucs.
    That.

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

On a side note, all of the different boards/blogs I've looked at is full of angry Donk fans. 2 months in and 90% of them are PO'ed with McDaniels and the upper management, many of them are saying they'll take their support to where Shanny and Cutler end up. The other 10% are in complete denial, saying that the Bucs approached them and Denver said no.

I almost feel sorry for them, but in the end I'm heartless monster and would much rather gloat about it.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Why would you tell me to relax? Was I flying off the handle there?

I have been dealing with Herm Edwards the past three years. A huge load has been lifted.

We just disagree about how severe the problems are, and the specific areas that deserve the most attention.
    OK.

I agree that we need to upgrade our FS, DL, and OL sometime this offseason.

I just can't tell whether you think we will or won't.

Free Agency is a long period of time in the off season. Just because the Chiefs havent taken any drastic measures (Cassel and Vrabel excluded) in terms of sigining free agent talent doesnt mean they are turning a blind eye to it.

Remember this about the Free Agency time table:

Restricted free agents signing period: from February 27 to April 17

Unrestricted free agents signing period: from February 27 to July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later)

Franchise players signing period: from February 27 through the 10th week of the season

That is quite a bit of time for the Chiefs to methodically approach the market and sign what they need. Now its frustrating to some that we aren't signing Ray Lewis and Co. but once again I must reiterate that Pioli/Hunt made it clear that they were never interested in signing big name high dollar players like Haynesworth and so forth or bull rushing the market and signing everyone like the Broncos did. So while it may hurt our egos and dampen some peoples trust in the mindset of the Chiefs Front office remember that there are more players to come in the coming days, weeks, and months.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    OK.

I agree that we need to upgrade our FS, DL, and OL sometime this offseason.

I just can't tell whether you think we will or won't.
    I am on the fence.

I just don't believe that we are capable. There are only so many positions that we will be able to fill.

If Waters gets dealt (Please God, no.) then we currently have one solid O-lineman. (As long as you are one who has faith in Albert. I do.)

And finding a quality pass-rushing DE is already one of the hardest things to do. It's even harder when you are also trying to fill four starting O-line positions.

I realize that Herm and CP are gone. But I can't completely trust the new 'regime' until I get to see what they emphasize during the off-season.

Those who know me, have no question about what I want to see addressed. And, until I see it, I am gonna be worried that I never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Xploder View Post
    I really am tired of heatring pioli talk about the patriot system when is he going to learn we are the chiefs.
    I have no problem with Pioli talking of or implementing the "Patriot way". It has earned the man some very nice rings and I have no doubt that it will in the future as well, or would you rather stick to the "Chiefs way" of the last decade?