Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassel traded to the Chiefs

Hybrid View

Default Cassel traded to the Chiefs

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Chiefs complete trade for Cassel «

Update:
    Chiefs get Vrabel and Cassel in exchange for the Chiefs 2009 2nd rd(34th) pick.
    Last edited by Coach; 02-28-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added update.

Not sure if Cassel is the real deal but the move tells me the Chiefs want to win now vs in a few years.

I'll be honest I have not liked this trade from the get go. Aside from hiring Haley I see Pioli as a huge disappointment. Vrabel is solid but old, Cassel is a HUGE question mark. I think we would have been much better served by keeping our 2nd round pick and taking Stafford or Sanchez in the first and using the 34th overall on a LB.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCarroll View Post
    I'll be honest I have not liked this trade from the get go. Aside from hiring Haley I see Pioli as a huge disappointment. Vrabel is solid but old, Cassel is a HUGE question mark. I think we would have been much better served by keeping our 2nd round pick and taking Stafford or Sanchez in the first and using the 34th overall on a LB.
    !!!!!!!!!

Must be cheap drugs.

Sorry guys I don't think signing old backups and trading the 34th overall pick for a soon to be 27 yr old QB who has had 1 good year on a great team and a old LB who is obviously on the decline of his career was a good move. I see you guys really like to toe the company line thats cool.

Ask yourself this, do you think Stafford will be better at 27 than Cassel?

I don't see how drafting a Sanchez or Stafford is money in the bank and W's in the win column. As far as I know Sanchez is a one year injury prone USC standout, a flash in the pan, and Stafford is an inconsitent gunslinger Bulldog.

Could either of them pan out to be good to decent QB's in the future? Yes

Is history and stats in their favor? No

As far as our 2nd round pick is concerned, when you can bring in two players to start immediately and contribute/mentor to a young team; I think thats a deal that any GM would make in an instant. It immediately makes your team that much better then it was.

The only downside to Cassel is the cap hit we have to eat for his Franchise tag and even that when taken into perspective isn't a huge price to pay considering the potential upside he has. Yea he didn't start in college because Leinart had a stronger arm but when they were both given the reigns to a team and asked to lead one produced and the other didn't. Cassel instantly gained NFL credibility as a starter and future potential while Leinart revealed a bust in the making. Yea he was a backup in NE but he was scouted by Pioli and drafted in spite of it because of that potential.

With the Cassel acquisition we've already commitited our long term future with him at the helm. Our team, the Chiefs, will be molded to suit his strengths and assist in his deficencies (while few ones that can be ironed out with proper one on one coaching and continued progress as a starter). How anyone can think that we lost value in trading our 2nd round pick is just simple ignorance and total neglect to view reason. Their is no gaurentee with any pick in the draft that the college kid we draft produces as advertised.

What Pioli did was spend 2nd round potential for two proven players and gaurenteed day 1 starters, you can't ask for much else as a fan and thinking anything less of it is simply asinine.

I hated losing our 2nd round pick. But not nearly as much as I would have hated losing our 1st round pick by drafting a QB that would not have even seen the field next year.

If the Chiefs would have drafted Sanchez or Stafford at #3, you are making a big bet that the guy pans out. They also would have probably not contributed at all next year. Instead the Chiefs spent a 2nd round pick on a player who has proven he can play at the next level and can contribute day 1. Now we can use our 1st round pick to address the lackluster defense and pass rush.

Let's pretend for a second that Stafford or Sanchez had fallen into our laps in the 2nd round, I would rather have Cassell over either of those guys and Cassell has proven that he can win at this level. Throw Vrabel in the mix on a team that sorely needed LB's and help with their transition to a 3-4 scheme. I'm really not sure how you could argue against this trade unless you didn't want the Chiefs to draft a QB at all. That would have meant putting all of our hopes on Tyler Thigpen. I like Tyler Thigpen, but if he didn't work out or was injured, then this team would have been staring at another 2-14 season. Now we have a QB competition between two guys that I think have bright futures. That's a very much different situation than we had going into last season.

It was a great trade IMO. Great trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I hated losing our 2nd round pick. But not nearly as much as I would have hated losing our 1st round pick by drafting a QB that would not have even seen the field next year.

If the Chiefs would have drafted Sanchez or Stafford at #3, you are making a big bet that the guy pans out. They also would have probably not contributed at all next year. Instead the Chiefs spent a 2nd round pick on a player who has proven he can play at the next level and can contribute day 1. Now we can use our 1st round pick to address the lackluster defense and pass rush.

Let's pretend for a second that Stafford or Sanchez had fallen into our laps in the 2nd round, I would rather have Cassell over either of those guys and Cassell has proven that he can win at this level. Throw Vrabel in the mix on a team that sorely needed LB's and help with their transition to a 3-4 scheme. I'm really not sure how you could argue against this trade unless you didn't want the Chiefs to draft a QB at all. That would have meant putting all of our hopes on Tyler Thigpen. I like Tyler Thigpen, but if he didn't work out or was injured, then this team would have been staring at another 2-14 season. Now we have a QB competition between two guys that I think have bright futures. That's a very much different situation than we had going into last season.

It was a great trade IMO. Great trade.
    Well thats why you are the site admin you gave me your reasons, well versed and thought out. I however disagree with them. I can't help but think Cassel is a flash in the pan, he was a decent QB on a GREAT football team. IMO if all three Sanchez, Stafford, even Bradford, and Cassel are compared at the age of 27 Cassel would be the bottom guy on the rung. But this is a forum for debate and I respect your opinions.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast