Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Cassel traded to the Chiefs

Default Cassel traded to the Chiefs

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Chiefs complete trade for Cassel «

Update:
    Chiefs get Vrabel and Cassel in exchange for the Chiefs 2009 2nd rd(34th) pick.
    Last edited by Coach; 02-28-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added update.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCarroll View Post
    I troll no where I am a Chiefs fan as hard as it has been, but I'm sorry I don't just agree with everything the FO has done.

I'll bet a few GM's would agree that Stafford and Sanchez will have better careers than Cassel. I'm the biggest SC homer on Earth and I can't stand the guy.

So am I the only one on this entire board that disagrees with everyone else. I see me being quoted on everyone's post.

Malcontent or not I don't think Matt Cassel is not as good as he is made out to be, sorry if we disagree. I thought thats what this is for.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    A.) Cassel ......
    is still very much an unknown commodity.

shedding our 34th overall pick for a QB prospect still sits uneasy with me.
    There is no way that anyone made a better offer for Cassel, or he would have been traded there instead.

The NFL is big business. And friendship doesn't override business.

I'll agree that there is a chance that we got an amazing deal. But, I am far from convinced of that yet.

At the time, the Elvis Grbac trade was considered a big win for us. As was the Steve Bono trade.

Who is more of an unknown commodity, a player who has proven himself in the NFL, or a QB from college..whomever it may be.

The way I understand it.... is that b4 we landed Cassell, the Bucs were willing to give up their 1st in a 3-way trade. They obtain Cassell to get Cutler who apparently is worth at least two 1st rounders and a 3rd. Had the Pats waited a lil longer.

I agree with you that business is first (before friendship) but maybe thats just the Pats plan to save and distribute salary. Maybe they wanted the 34th over the 20something pick. (or whatever pick the bucs hold.)

I also agree that we shouldnt be tooting our horn that Cassell is "the chosen one".

What did Trent Green accomplish before coming here that Casseel hasnt. These are the chances you must take...Especially for a 2nd rounder.

I know we all look at things in different ways and we can all come to different conclusions but to have such a neg. outlook and we havent even got to mini camp yet is really kinda unfair. Sanchez or Stafford will get the same chance after the draft as Cassell and what will really count is Game Day. Yes some of them will have better targets than the others. A team reflects from it's coaches and a QB reflects from it's team. Give the guy a chance, IMO I think Cassell is a good fit for this team and this coaching staff. He has good coaching now as well as in the past, he has worked with the best and maybe, just maybe if given the chance, he too could turn out to be one of the best. You just never know......

The Patriots fans must hate the Chiefs.

*Tearing the ACL of their HOF QB Tom Brady in week 1 - $10,000,000
    *Steal Pioli away from the Pats - $3,000,000
    *Taking the Pats defensive team leader Mike Vrabel - $3,200,000
    *Stealing the Pats QB of the future Matt Cassell - 2nd round pick
    *Seeing the look on Patriots fans' faces - Priceless.

*We don't blame the Chiefs for that. Clearly accidental. Never heard anyone say otherwise.

*Pioli was going to go anyway. Better to you than NY or Miami!

*Mike Vrabel! We love Mike Vrabel! However, he is showing his age and his 4 million or so price is too much for him. It's about value. Tedy Bruschi is only a bit over 1 mil so we keep him. Also, 34 year old LB? In decline.

*Matt Cassel was never the QB of the future! There was no way that Our Evil Genius, BB would ever, ever, in a million years pay Matt Cassel (who almost got cut in pre-season) 14 million dollars even if Tom Brady was dead! He would have offered him a reasonable 5 or 6 mil or started O'Connell.

*Our faces are quite smiley! We got Fred Taylor, Joey Galloway, Shaun Springs and Leigh Bodin. We resigned a bunch of players with the cap space. We have 5 picks in the first three rounds of the draft including 3 in round 2.

Most of all....We still have...Tom Brady! #12 HOF!

ps. Before you get too excited about Matt Cassel, I would watch some of the Pittsburgh game last year and see what happens to him when he gets blitzed. Remember he won 11 games with the same Offense that won 16 in a row the year before and broke a bunch of offensive records.

Best of Luck guys!

Patsie, all you have said is true, but Cassel is not a patsie anymore, and Pioli is head Chief. BB is good at what he does, that is all I will say.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfor4 View Post
    ps. Before you get too excited about Matt Cassel, I would watch some of the Pittsburgh game last year and see what happens to him when he gets blitzed.
    well, they were one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL... I'll give him a pass on that one.

Don't take me wrong. He got better every week. For a second round pick and you got Vrabel too, that's a really good deal for The Chiefs. He proved he can start in the NFL and that's something. If you said to anyone would use a second rounder on a QB guaranteed to start would you do it, of course they would!

I'm just saying that we in NE are not upset about losing him because with Brady playing he's not worth a bag of footballs sitting on the bench and we got a second round pick for a guy that last year this time was fighting for a job. Also the 11-5 record is a bit inflated because he was playing for a good team with excellent coaching.

So it works out for both teams. We get something for a guy who was almost cut and/or was going to be a free agent and be too expensive to be a backup. Vrabel had to go because of cap space. You guys get definite starter at QB and a starting or really good LB who can play inside and outside. I bet the Pats take a QB in the 3rd round, maybe Pat White.

The most important part of the deal is Cassel didn't go to NY or Miami or even Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    I haven't seen any Trojan QB's in the NFL that have had half the success that Matt Cassell has had. Take a look at the people that have been drafted at #1 outta that so called best team in College football,

Carson Palmer:Sure he has put up some numbers on occassion but basically has done nothing as far as Championships. Since being injuered in the playoffs his career has nose dived and he was expected to be HOF potential, not in my book as I think he sucks to be honest and was totally over rated outta college.
    Reggie Bush is a RB and he hasn't even had very big success IMO. His team led by Brees made it to the NFC CHampionship game where the Bears beat them out LMAO!!!!!!
    Cassell is the best prospect outta that USC last 10 years of history or the Pete Carroll era as he atleast started in more than 10 games(15) in last years season and he put up decent numbers by taking the Patriots to a 11 - 5 record and would have been in the playoffs if Miami would have lost it's last game of the year. The AFC East finished out like this
    Miami 11 - 5
    NE 11 - 5
    NY Jets 10 - 6
    The frackin SD CHargers beat the Pats out as they won the AFC West so if you don't think Cassell will do good as a Chief where he will have a decent set of WRs and a running game to work with your insaine. If Thigpen can do it , Cassell can and I like Thigpen but Cassell has a bigger arm and he has more awareness then Thigpen does. A bit of advice, if you want to bash a guy make sure you have some points to make other than saying you think he sucks. Stats are good as well as scenerios ;)
    I find you to be vastly underqualified to give hat advice, considering your views on Carson Palmer.

You say that you can't find any Trojan QB hat has had half the success of Cassel, but then load us up with excuses why Palmer had so much success.

Palmer helped turn the Bungles into a playoff team. That is impressive.

I'm not even saying that Palmer is a better QB than Cassel.

But, as amazing as it is that someone made the Bungles into a legit football team, it pales in comparison to hearing someone belittle that accomplishment.

And...

A bit of advice, if you want to bash a guy make sure you have some points to make other than saying you think he sucks.

There's only one person around here qualified to give advice..................

...and I am busy!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.