Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: QB Controversy - Cassell or Thigpen

Default QB Controversy - Cassell or Thigpen

Cassell or Thigpen?

I just wanted to be the first person to post a QB controversy thread. I'm sure it will be talked about a lot by Thigpen fans.

Just look at it like this. Cassel and Thigpen are similar in mechanics. They're both agile Quarterbacks who are able to move the pocket, throw on the run, and tuck the ball and run.

The difference?

- Cassel has the arm strength
    - Consistency
    - Accuracy
    - On the field leadership

Thigpen was good but was never really the on the field presence that the Chiefs needed to lead. The highlights don't lie.

EDIT: But I will agree there will be QB competition in training camp. You can bet on it. But I'd be willing to bet that Cassel proves why he deserves the starting job.[/quote]

cassell had more time and better protection field leadership can be debated

Hey I'm the biggest Thigpen supporter out there, but I'm not nieve enough to think there's going to be a QB competition this preseason. Cassel was brought in to start, end of story. I hate QB controversies. P.S. this is going to be one hail of a year, IMO.

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by Codac View Post
    Right now Thigpen has to have the nod. He has the team's playbook down already, and he has the players' support.
    Done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xploder View Post
    Cassell should not get the start because we gave such and such for him. Thigpen lead this team last year a piss poor front line. Cassell did good behind a good not great but good line. this should be Thigpens job to lose and lose in a fair unbiased compitition. End of story!
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    It doesn't matter what you think should happen. Thigpen is on the bench next year. There's going to be no competition.
    But.... Also agreed.

What's best for the team makes absolutely no difference at this point. Cassel is the starter.

A QB competition will be announced. But, just like the Croyle/Huard competition from '07, there will not be a competition.

I believe that Cassel is the slightly better QB. But that we will see Thigpen starting at some point, unless we get some O-line upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Xploder View Post
    Cassell should not get the start because we gave such and such for him. Thigpen lead this team last year a piss poor front line. Cassell did good behind a good not great but good line. this should be Thigpens job to lose and lose in a fair unbiased compitition. End of story!
    This is untrue. Going by stats alone for the 2008 season

Chiefs OLine allowed 37 Sacks

Pats OLine allowed 48 Sacks

That doesn't equate to better oline for NE in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by Codac View Post
    Right now Thigpen has to have the nod. He has the team's playbook down already, and he has the players' support.
    This is half right and half wrong.

Lets not forget that just because Gailey is around that Haley is going to run his offensive scheme. Haley is going to implement whatever offense he has in mind so that means the playbook is going to change for everyone on the team.

I will say that Thigpen has the support of some players but as long as Cassel can get the ball to the play makers and their individual stats go up you'll see them rally behind Cassel. Gonzo is a stat man. Plain and simple, his best statiscal season was last year and Thigpen went to him on every passing down so it makes sense for him to have some loyalty to Thigpen when his HoF numbers get better with every game.
    Last edited by DT14PRIEST; 02-28-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    I hope we change the play book just a little anyway, last years Offense was dull and very boring at times not to mention was a little on the pass heavy side. We need a balanced Offense to keep all of the opponents D off guard.
    Well, if you haven't seen the Pats and Cardinals' offenses recently, it is pretty much the same as what we had last season.

Balanced offense is not something that exists on either of those teams. And probably won't with us in '09.
    Last edited by chief31; 02-28-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    We can count on LJ cryin again. I think if we are to take advantage of the players we have yet to cut or trade away that he would be a part of the equasion and yea I have seen what type of offense that both teams have and something tells me that we won't follow in line simply because of where Pioli and Haley have already been in the past. I would think the rest of the league is thinking the same way you are and it would be awsome to see Haley take advantage of the tools he has instead of attempting to impliment a Offense that the Chiefs aren't currently built to run. Time will tell.
    I think that kind of offense is all that we are currently capable of running, with any degree of success.

Couple that with the fact that both of those offenses have managed to put plenty of points on the board, and I think that both Haley and Pioli are sold on the spread.

I'm right with you in wanting a balanced offense, as teams that are unable to run the ball in running situations create a big obstacle for themselves to try and overcome.

But I am preparing myself for a few seasons of the spread offense.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Well, if you haven't seen the Pats and Cardinals' offenses recently, it is pretty much the same as what we had last season.

Balanced offense is not something that exists on either of those teams. And probably won't with us in '09.
    Thank god we are going into the '09 season then!!
    Last edited by chief31; 02-28-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I think there should be a competition. Thiggy earned atleast a competition this year.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Thank god we are going into the '09 season then!!
    Errrr... whatever do you mean?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast