Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: QB Controversy - Cassell or Thigpen

Default QB Controversy - Cassell or Thigpen

Cassell or Thigpen?

I just wanted to be the first person to post a QB controversy thread. I'm sure it will be talked about a lot by Thigpen fans.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    The man has a few cool moments in that video like the drop kicking of the ball out of the shotgun formation putting the ball at the 2 yd line. Then he threw it from the Pats 25 to the oppossing teams 22 yd line in a bomb TD. No doubt he has a stronger arm than Thiggy.
    Yeah that coffin corner kick puts him over the top lol

the best part of that video is when they are showing the Patriots vs. Broncos highlights and its 27-0 (Patriots...obviously) and then Welker dives in the endzone for another TD lol....Broncos defense was possibly worse than ours last year...

Chiefs | Haley says Cassel will not be handed starting job
    Mon, 02 Mar 2009 13:19:08 -0800
    Adam Teicher, of The Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs head coach Todd Haley said QB Matt Cassel will not be handed the starting job and QB Tyler Thigpen will get the opportunity to win the job.
    www.kffl.com

Thigpen no question the QB wasn't the reason we lost so many games he put up the numbers with limited WR and o line help to win games but the D cost to us lose. matt had high qualilty players around him I just don't think he is going to able to win in KC

Quote Originally Posted by warcrychief View Post
    Chiefs | Haley says Cassel will not be handed starting job
    Mon, 02 Mar 2009 13:19:08 -0800
    Adam Teicher, of The Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs head coach Todd Haley said QB Matt Cassel will not be handed the starting job and QB Tyler Thigpen will get the opportunity to win the job.
    www.kffl.com

Sorry, I love Thiggy and I hope there is truly a competition, but in reality, there is very little chance that Thiggy is going to be the starting QB this season. This is just a formality to show how the management wants to be fair.

Guys, we might say that no matter what it needs to be a fair competition, but in reality, a 15 million per year QB will not be riding the bench come start of the season.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by DT14PRIEST View Post
    This is untrue. Going by stats alone for the 2008 season

Chiefs OLine allowed 37 Sacks

Pats OLine allowed 48 Sacks

That doesn't equate to better oline for NE in my books.
    Actually when you consider how many plays from scrimmage each team had, they are pretty even. I think the main difference is the spread offense we moved to later on. The Patriots has 1095 plays from scrimmage for a sack average of 4.2% The Chiefs had 957 plays with an average of 3.8 percent.

There is no question that the Patriots line is so much better than ours. I would not even start to compare sacks as being the only indicator of who has a better line. We went to the spread for just this reason.
    Last edited by Hayvern; 03-02-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Ithink they are almost the same ,if Thigpen would have been a pat. and Cassel would have been a CHIEF last year I bet the teams records would not have been any different.Cassel will start, money money money!

Pats line is way better, regardless of sack totals. Cassel generally had a lot of time to throw, but has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long.

I don't understand how you base your opinion. The OLine is totaly rated by the sack total and amount of yards their RBs can get. If they allowed 47 sacks to the chiefs 36, then that means in pass protection the Chiefs OLine is 11 sacks better than the Pats line.Now you can say that there is a difference when it comes to rushing yards.
    Rushing Yards by team,
    ----

New England Patriots 16| 25.6| 410| 513| 32.1| 2,278
    ----
    Kansas City Chiefs 16| 18.2| 291| 379| 23.7| 1,810
    ----
    By the numbers they out rushed our OLine and RBs , now that can be a combination of things like WR's blocking better down field as well as their OLine just basically doing what they are supposse to which in such case should make it easier for them to pass the ball. Fact is it should have taken the pressure off of the QB but since they allowed 47 sacks , I am left with the notion that their line just has trouble protecting the QB in passing situations, infact this tells me that our OLine definately is better than the Pats in passing situations because the Chiefs only got 1,810 yards to the Pats 2,278 yards in rushing.
    Passing Stats by Team,
    ----

New England Patriots 16| 25.6| 410| 339| 534| 63.5| 33.4| 3,569
    ----

Kansas City Chiefs 16| 18.2| 291| 310| 541| 57.3| 33.8| 3,129
    ----
    Both teams are actually very even in pass yards with only roughly 400 yards seperating them. The Pats scored 7 more points per game by the pass ,the Chiefs threw the ball more times with less completions and less yards so basically the difference between the lines are not on the passing side but the Rushing side of the stats . Numbers speak for themself here , they can't be denied. I just hope that we can improve this over the off-season by picking up some OLine help either in FA or the draft.
    You're making two assumptions.

a.) The RBs on both teams are equal in talent.
    b.) Thigpen and Cassel have the same ability to evade the pass rush.

Over the past 2 days I watched the Pats week 11 and week 12 games in their entirety, and I watched every Chiefs game this season. I don't recall Thigpen ever getting the time to throw I was seeing Cassel get. Brady was only sacked 21 times in 2007. Also, compare the number of times Cassel was sacked in the 1st half vs the 2nd. There was an adjustment period there.

Maybe "way better" was an overstatement. But you can't go by statistics here.

I think Cassel's a better quarterback overall, but I'm for certain that Thigpen is better at avoiding getting sacked. And it can't hurt that he often had a RB lined up behind him in shotgun... even if it was LJ.

I never stated anything regarding RB comparison nor did I mention anything about Tylers ability to avoid the rush. My comment was strictly about OLine ability and I believe it is you who is assuming things which I don't know if you realize , when somebody assumes things, it makes an A$$ out of U and me.
    This is why I was discussing stats as they speak for themselves and leaves no room for assumption. ;)
    erm... :/ but going strictly by number of times sacked can be misleading. I can stand behind the Titans or Giants OL and fall down every play and lead the NFL in sacks. Doesn't mean the line is bad.

Is a bag of Skittles better for you than a bowl of Wheaties since it has less calories? No.. because that would be assuming caloric content is the only variable in the equation. Same with rating an offensive line. :)
    Last edited by yashi; 03-03-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast