Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: QB Controversy - Cassell or Thigpen

Default QB Controversy - Cassell or Thigpen

Cassell or Thigpen?

I just wanted to be the first person to post a QB controversy thread. I'm sure it will be talked about a lot by Thigpen fans.

Cassel had Billecheck, Thig had Herm.
    Herm couldn't game plan or make half-time adjustments.
    Herm couldn't coach.
    That alone should entice you to throw stats out the window when comparing these 2 guys.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Stats are how everyone ligit measures how good a team is , it reflects everything including the inability of coaching ;)
    I understand what you're sayin'. I'm saying you can't compare these 2 guys statistically until they are in the same environment. This might be a good topic at the end of this next season!!
    Having said that, its nice to have 2 very good qb's to debate over!!!
    NOW WE NEED A DEFENSE
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    That is true, we can bicker over the truths of this but the truth is only true from ones point of view.
    Some people seem to forget that all of thesets used in the Pros are just that but, tell me what you call these sets,

I am not an Offensive minded person , I know defense much better.
    The first is a basic Single Back formation.

The second is called a Pro Set.

And the third is my favorite. 12 players on the field.

Let's go with that third one as often as we can.

The spread offense isn't a formation though. It's a style of offense that uses certain formations more often than others.

Similar to the "Tampa-2" style of defense. It's just a defense that uses the basic cover-2 zone almost exclusively.

If you are running a base 4-3 defense and rarely blitz, using primarily zone coverage, then you are running the "Tampa-2" defense.

If you are using alot of three and four wide sets, with one back on offense, then you are running a "spread Offense".

These offense and defense names are really just about the tendancy to run specific formations and basic philosophies like "run to set-up the pass" and "pass to set-up the run".

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    No. Pioli didn't trade a 2nd rounder to bring his QB in just to have him compete with a guy who went 1-9 last year.

Whether you agree or not, Cassel is our starter.
    Now that I think about it your right. He brought him here to play and to win. But if our line can't keep the DL in check and Cassel goes down continuously, Thigpen will share snaps, maybe even take the job. It all depends on the OL in my opinion.

One thing to remember is that Cassel learned at the feet of Belichick and Brady. Brady has been quoted often, without contradiction by Belichick, as saying that he approaches every Offseason and comes to every Training Camp with the mindset that he has to fight for his job, even with three Rings, two SB MVP's and a League MVP under his belt.

I think you can assume that Matt is already taking the same attitude. It doesn't matter whether Haley calls it a "competition" or not, Cassel will be working out and practicing as though he's on the verge of being cut. It's the Belichick Way. After Herm Edwards, it will take a little getting used to.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678