Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salary cap.

Default Salary cap.

So, what is a basic rundown of the various nuances of the salary cap as it exists in the NFL today?

I think it Players should be paid for their performance. $100,000 for a TD, $100,000 for a INT, $1000 per yard, $5000 per tackle etc. I think the league would be a lot more interesting that way. The only thing that would be guaranteed would be a base salary of the league minimum of a set amount per year. I would also deduct money of the player misses a tackle, drops a pass, losses a fumble, etc. But I don't run the league.

It's a matter of what do with a player who gets injured. I think preformance based salaries are a good idea, but I don't like the idea of the teams and the league keeping their money. I think the players should be getting a big piece og the pie. They do all of the work.

I just think if they (the players) get paid for what they do then there would be more playing and less getting caught in strip clubs with a trash bag full of money (Pacman). That's just my opinion
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    I just think if they (the players) get paid for what they do then there would be more playing and less getting caught in strip clubs with a trash bag full of money (Pacman). That's just my opinion

...Something to be said for this opinion.

I bet we would have less complaining and more playing if pay was based on things done on the field every game.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    I bet we would have less complaining and more playing if pay was based on things done on the field every game.
    Perhaps; depends on the personality.

I think part of the problem is the rookies getting outrageous signing bonuses before they even step out onto the field. The NFL should do like the NBA does and have a structured rookie salary. A rookie get only so much to start out with, then once he proves himself he gets the big contract. That would also make additional money available to teams for proven veteran players and possibly slow down the turnover rate of teams releasing players because they can't afford to keep them on the team. It would also eliminate rookie contract hold outs. (i.e. Jamarcus Russell)
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Quote Originally Posted by OTR Chiefs fan View Post
    I think part of the problem is the rookies getting outrageous signing bonuses before they even step out onto the field. The NFL should do like the NBA does and have a structured rookie salary. A rookie get only so much to start out with, then once he proves himself he gets the big contract. That would also make additional money available to teams for proven veteran players and possibly slow down the turnover rate of teams releasing players because they can't afford to keep them on the team. It would also eliminate rookie contract hold outs. (i.e. Jamarcus Russell)
    ...And Dwayne Bowe.

What the NFL should do is set a rookie bonus based on draft order and give all draft picks the same base salary for 5 years. At the 2nd year create an arbitration system similar to baseballs. This would allow players who are outperforming their contracts to renegotiate in a manner that is fair. But part of the concession of this type of system would have to be some type of guarantee/buyout structure for all players...in other words the player has to play out his contract, but the owner is also on the line for the contract.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    What the NFL should do is set a rookie bonus based on draft order and give all draft picks the same base salary for 5 years. At the 2nd year create an arbitration system similar to baseballs. This would allow players who are outperforming their contracts to renegotiate in a manner that is fair. But part of the concession of this type of system would have to be some type of guarantee/buyout structure for all players...in other words the player has to play out his contract, but the owner is also on the line for the contract.
    Ahhhh; but then such progressive thinking would require common sense, and we all know that we certainly can't have that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast