Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FA Aquisitions...When?

Default FA Aquisitions...When?

Okay...We got Cassell and Vrabel but seems like we are watching other teams get much more active while we watch and wait?

I'm just curious what the strategy may be at this point because the draft is not gonna fill the remainder of our voids, is it?

I don't think his strategy is to sign high priced young guns. I'd be willing to bet that he builds the core of his team through the draft, bringing in cheap vets to mentor and fill in some holes while new players get drafted/devloped. Thats the only explanation (to me at least) for passing on guys like Housh, Canty, Scott ect. while looking into people like Engram. Theres still a lot of talent out there, panic mode is still weeks away.

Others are making it to KC for interviews but my worry is their age, so far the youngest being 33. I can understand bringing in the vets to stablize the team because we are so very young but the ones being interviewed are short term only. We still have alot of cap money, we could have made some good deals by this point, but have missed out. But again, my faith is in Pioli.......GO CHIEFS IN 09!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Others are making it to KC for interviews but my worry is their age, so far the youngest being 33. I can understand bringing in the vets to stablize the team because we are so very young but the ones being interviewed are short term only. We still have alot of cap money, we could have made some good deals by this point, but have missed out. But again, my faith is in Pioli.......GO CHIEFS IN 09!!!!
    Nothing wrong with signing veteran short term guys, especially at a position like WR. If they get too old to be effective, we cut them and sign someone else next offseason. The team is young enough already, we could use more vets in the mix.

We still gotta couple months until the draft. Lots of dealing to be done yet...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Nothing wrong with signing veteran short term guys, especially at a position like WR. If they get too old to be effective, we cut them and sign someone else next offseason. The team is young enough already, we could use more vets in the mix.
    Agreed. we can't compete with Snyders 100 mil to Hanesworth. Pioli will find players that 'fit' with what he's trying to do. To me that means a mix of young players and seasoned vets - not necessarily high-priced FA's in the prime of their career.
    I'm still concerned what its gonna take to sign Cassel.
    After thinking on this for a couple days, I'm wondering if this was really the right deal for us giving up our 2nd pick for a position that was already filled and glaring needs elsewhere. I'm sure Pioli knows what he's doing - I'm just sayin'...Flame away!!!
    SHUT IT

We made the best offseason move so far in my opinion.

And we got to make sure we spend our money wisely. #3 pick wont be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Okay...We got Cassell and Vrabel but seems like we are watching other teams get much more active while we watch and wait?

I'm just curious what the strategy may be at this point because the draft is not gonna fill the remainder of our voids, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    I think that Pioli is waiting for the big names to fall off the board and to see who is left so that when the FA's that actually don't get their price are still there and he feels they can help us he will pick them up for much less than they wanted intially. Just a thought.
    Agreed!

Clark Haggens is 33 and I guess they have been looking at him. Our new regime is pretty close to the vest with info releases, but since I've joined I recall someone mentioning how things seem to get done on Fridays and so far that seems to be true.

I still have an interest in J.Pepp, maybe some action that way or not, but if their is I hope we don't overpay. It would be funny if we were to get him we wouldn't really have done any of the major signings, all our work would be through trades, as it has.

Whatever the case the offseason has been a positive so far.

I think we've already made our biggest move this off season. Don't hold me to it thought, who knows what Pioli and Co. are thinking so I wouldn't expect another big splash in trade deals any time soon.

The hardest trait to learn though is patience, especially when it looks like we're going to be left in the dust. That being said Pioli made a living in NE by doing exactly what he's doing right now. The methodical approach.

I expect the Chiefs to sign anywhere from 6-10 players this off season alone through FA, and I bet a majority of them will be unknown commodities (I.e. not household names) that will leave us all scratching our heads going 'huh'? But then again thats exactly the modus operandi that Pioli had been doing for about 9 years in NE and we all know how that went.

Patience is a virtue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast