Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How well does studebaker, johnston and wallace translate to 3-4

Default How well does studebaker, johnston and wallace translate to 3-4

I was wondering... DE Andy Studebaker worked as a LB in Eagles before coming to KC...Kan he play OLB in the 3-4?? is he too small with 249 punds?

And what about Brian Johnston and Wallace Gilberry...wheight wiss there are just as big as merriman.. But can they get back into coverage??

I don't know enough about these guys to answer this question. However, I do think there will defiantly be a couple of guys that come out nowhere and have a big impact under the new regime/system. Anyone have a prediction? I'll say Demario Williams.

I just got to thinking about this topic as I was watching the 2008 Den/KC game at Arrowhead. Brian Johnston looks like the kind of guy that could really break out if he was given the opportunity. His stats over on NFL.com are off, because I watched him get half a sack in the game, and they have him listed as having 3 tackles all season.

Not quite Jared Allen, but certainly an aggressive pass rusher in his own right.

Added- And I mean from more of an outside linebacker spot for the 3-4 for Johnston.

jb
    Last edited by josh1971; 05-03-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Johnston started out as a linebacker in college, before switching to DE.

Postseason: Started and played in the 2008 Hula Bowl ... Finished with four tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble in that game for the victorious East team, coached by Ron Zook ... Rated as the No. 12 defensive end prospect available in the 2008 NFL Draft by NFLDraftScout.com ... Ran a 4.66-second time in the 40-yard dash on March 8 at San Diego State ... Measured at 6-5, 274 pounds (3/8) ... Posted 4.18 shuttle time (3/8) ... Posted 1.51-second time in the 10-yard split (3/8) ... 35-inch vertical jump (3/8) ... 31 bench press reps of 225 pounds.

2007 at Gardner-Webb: Started in all 11 games ... Consensus Division I FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) All-America selection ... Named All-America by the Associated Press, AFCA, Walter Camp Foundation, Sports Network, College Sports Report, College Sporting News and All-America Foundation ... Big South Conference Defensive Player of the Year for the second season in a row ... First-team All-Big South Conference ... Finished season with 74 total tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 6.0 sacks and 23 quarterback pressures ... Broke up three passes ... Finished career with 296 tackles, 53.5 tackles for loss, 20.5 sacks and 69 quarterback pressures ... Gardner-Webb's all-time leading tackler among defensive linemen ... GWU career leader in tackles for loss and pressures ... Finalist for the 2007 Ted Hendricks Award as the nation's top defensive end (Bowl Subdivision award) ... Finished ninth in 2007 Buck Buchanan Award as nation's top defensive player in the Championship Subdivision ... Finished second nationally in tackles for loss, despite consistent double teams and occasional triple team blocking by opponents.

2007 Spring Game (3/31): Was dominant, starting and leading the team with 13 total tackles (seven solo), 6.5 tackles for loss (minus-29 yards) and four quarterback sacks (minus-19 yards).

2006 at Gardner-Webb: Started 11 games ... A second-team All-America selection by the Associated Press and the Football Gazette ... Big South Conference Defensive Player of the Year ... First-team Division I FCS All-Central Region and Central Region Defensive Lineman of the Year ... First-team All-Big South Conference ... Led the Conference in sacks for the second year in a row ... Finished with 77 total tackles (35 solo), 14.0 tackles for loss (minus-53 yards), 8.0 sacks (minus-47 yards), two forced fumbles and a career-high 23 quarterback pressures ... Had a season-high 11 stops (six solo), three tackles for loss and a sack vs. VMI (10/28) ... Forced a fumble that led to a touchdown vs. VMI (10/28) ... Had 10 tackles (six solo), two tackles for loss and a sack vs. Wofford (11/18) ... Collected a season-high three sacks (minus-19 yards) to go with seven hits at No. 25 Charleston Southern (11/4) ... Made eight stops and had a tackle for loss vs. No. 2 Appalachian State (9/23) ... Had nine hits (seven solo) and two sacks (minus-12 yards) vs. Tennessee Tech (9/9).

2005 at GWU: A first-team All-Big South Conference selection at defensive end ... Led the Big South with 5.0 sacks (minus-41 yards) and 15 quarterback pressures, and was among the league leaders with 12.5 tackles for loss ... Led the league with 75 yards in losses ... Batted down one pass, blocked a field goal and recovered a fumble ... Made 59 total stops (28 solo) ... Named Division I-AA National Player of the Week by the College Sports Report after dominating the line of scrimmage vs. Liberty (10/29) ... Had 13 tackles (seven solo), three tackles for loss (minus-16 yards) and two quarterback sacks (minus-15 yards) to go with three quarterback pressures in the GWU win ... Had seven tackles vs. Wofford (11/19) and No. 8 Hampton (10/8) ... Blocked a field goal against Hampton ... Added a 16-yard sack vs. the Pirates and also batted away a pass ... Had two tackles for loss a sack and a fumble recovery vs. Wofford ... Had six hits or more in six different games.

2004 at GWU: Played outside linebacker as a true freshman ... Played in nine games, starting seven ... Finished with 58 tackles (24 solo), five tackles for loss (-14), two sacks (-11), three forced fumbles and 10 quarterback pressures ... Broke up two passes and recovered a fumble ... Had a career-best 10 tackles at Morgan State (9/11), vs. No. 25 Western Carolina (9/18) and vs. VMI (10/23) ... Added three tackles for loss, two sacks and three quarterback pressures in the win over No. 25 Western Carolina ... Made seven hits in the season finale vs. No. 27 Southeastern Louisiana (11/20), including five solo stops ... Forced fumbles at Liberty (10/2), at No. 16 Wofford (11/6) and at Charleston Southern (11/13).

High School: Played at Madison (Calif.) High in San Diego under Coach Steve Miner ... A first-team All-Harbor League selection at defensive end as a senior ... Finished season with 82 total tackles (30 solo), 13 tackles for loss, 10 quarterback sacks, six pass break ups and four caused fumbles ... A member of the San Diego Union-Tribune All-Academic Team ... A High School Heisman nominee ... Also an All-League selection at defensive end as a junior ... Also recruited by Colorado State and Arizona
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?u=2574&type=sigpic&dateline=1233413652

you know we also picked up another player in the off season, that hasn't got any notice and that is Darrell Robertson, OLB. He was a UDFA picked up by the Cowboys in 2008. He's 6'5", 245 and Played at Georgia Tech, and might be a surprise in our defense. Here's a highlight video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6VG-NwrEI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Darrell Robertson[/ame]
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?u=2574&type=sigpic&dateline=1233413652

Don't know that much about those guys. The two mentioned abovee are certainly interesting.

I do like Darrell Robertson, but I think he will have limited playing time in the LB position with all the LB's we now have. Yeah, Studebaker can play OLB at 250 lbs seems light for a former DE. He will have to steal time from Demorrio though (and Demorrio is even lighter and more of an ILB weight). Studebaker is not an attacking LB, but then again, thats not why we have him on the team.

Brian Johnson just needs some playing time, as its hard to evaluate him because we haven't seen him produce. He has the injury bug too, so 2009 might be a year we need to see him play more than 9 games. Same goes for Wallace, playing time will be tough behind the likes of McBride and our new #3 pick Tyson; we need to see more healthy games from Wallace before seeing what he can do.
    Last edited by oregonchieffan58; 05-04-2009 at 02:01 AM.

AS a rush backer he seems to have the speed but whether he has a good enuf technique we'll soon find out. but who is our nose tackle??????

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    AS a rush backer he seems to have the speed but whether he has a good enuf technique we'll soon find out. but who is our nose tackle??????
    Tank Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    Tank Tyler
    is that just a guess or did you read that somewhere?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast