Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QB Culpepper close to deal with Raiders

Default QB Culpepper close to deal with Raiders

NFL.com wire reports

NAPA, Calif. (July 31, 2007) -- The NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Oakland Raiders are prepared to sign Daunte Culpepper to a one-year contract -- assuming all goes well when the 30-year-old quarterback works out for the team.
    Culpepper held a private workout for a member of the Raiders' personnel department July 30 in Florida and did well enough there to persuade the team to fly him out to California for an additional workout
    "Anytime that we have a chance to investigate something that can help our team win, were going to do it," Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said. "Obviously Daunte is something that we've been looking into for a little bit. This is kind of the climax of it, working him out."
    Culpepper began 2006 as Miami's starter but had trouble with his mobility and was sacked 21 times in the first four games. The Dolphins shut him down so he could continue rehabbing and eventually placed him on injured reserve. When they acquired Trent Green in a trade with Kansas City this offseason, Culpepper became expendable.
    The Dolphins tried unsuccessfully to trade Culpepper a year after acquiring him from Minnesota. When Miami could find no takers, the former Pro Bowl quarterback was released on July 17. Culpepper met with Tampa Bay two days later but did not receive a contract offer.
    The Raiders have an interest in Culpepper in part due to the holdout of No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell. Russell has yet to sign a contract with Oakland, and Kiffin indicated negotiations between the two sides had slowed.
    Kiffin acknowledged that Russell's situation was a precursor to bringing Culpepper in for a workout.
    "Sure it is," Kiffin said. "You've gotta protect your team (and) put yourselves in the best position to win and make sure that you have the right depth and competition at each spot."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/OAK/10275814

Although Culpepper hasn't set foot on a football field in game for quite sometime I think he still gets the starting nod over a rookie QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Although Culpepper hasn't set foot on a football field in game for quite sometime I think he still gets the starting nod over a rookie QB.
    I would think so.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I would think so.
    ...Yup; simply fulfilling my "Captain Obvious" post quota for the day.

I would agree. I just didn't realize that Culpepper was this hard up. He is moving into another losing situation.

Would he have gone if Moss were still there?
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Confused?

He is going and Moss is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Confused?

He is going and Moss is gone.
    I was just stating a hypothetical. Had Moss stayed.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

I gotta get out more; I thought Moss was still there.

I was just stating a hypothetical. Had Moss stayed.
    I think he definitely would rather have Moss there. So yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I gotta get out more; I thought Moss was still there.
    Moss was traded to N.E. for a 4th rd pick on draft day. Yes you do need to get out more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast