Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: julius peppers still a free agent

Default julius peppers still a free agent

i wonder why no one has picked him up yet.imagine dorsey, hali, peppers, johnson,vrabel and curry to lead our front seven along with someone else that would sound like an awesome front seven.then add in carr,flowers,page,and pollard. oh yeah superbowl bound

they franchised Peppers after they signed Gross.

I was thinking about this myself after we announced Pendergrast, and all signs pointed to us running a hybrid D. Peppers already is a great DE for the 4-3, and he probably could be a decent OLB for a 3-4.

Unfortunately he was franchised by carolina, so it will probably take more (in terms of draft picks) than I am willing to give them to get him over here. Unless Pioli can force someone into letting us trade down, and then we pick up another late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder, and the planets line up just right, and we offer our 2nd rounder for him along with a sacrificial goat ... and we use our mid 1st rounder for someone like Cushing or Clay Matthews.

But, lets get hypothetical for a second. Say we were to get Peppers, I think we would have a relatively formidable D. In the 4-3 we would have:

DJ or Draft pick / Vrabel / DJ or draft pick
    Peppers // Dorsey // Tank // Hali

and then to move to a 3-4, all that would have to happen is Peppers drop back to LB so it would look like:

Peppers / DJ / Vrabel / Draft
    Dorsey // Tank // Hali

I think that would be pretty strong against both the run and the pass for 2-3 years before Peppers starts to decline significantly. By then we would probably be fully transitioned to whichever defense we are going to stick with. Also, we would have probably drafted a replacement for guys like Peppers and Vrabel, and allowed them to develop for a year or two under their tutelage.

A man can dream cant he ...

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I was thinking about this myself after we announced Pendergrast, and all signs pointed to us running a hybrid D. Peppers already is a great DE for the 4-3, and he probably could be a decent OLB for a 3-4.

Unfortunately he was franchised by carolina, so it will probably take more (in terms of draft picks) than I am willing to give them to get him over here. Unless Pioli can force someone into letting us trade down, and then we pick up another late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder, and the planets line up just right, and we offer our 2nd rounder for him along with a sacrificial goat ... and we use our mid 1st rounder for someone like Cushing or Clay Matthews.

But, lets get hypothetical for a second. Say we were to get Peppers, I think we would have a relatively formidable D. In the 4-3 we would have:

DJ or Draft pick / Vrabel / DJ or draft pick
    Peppers // Dorsey // Tank // Hali

and then to move to a 3-4, all that would have to happen is Peppers drop back to LB so it would look like:

Peppers / DJ / Vrabel / Draft
    Dorsey // Tank // Hali

I think that would be pretty strong against both the run and the pass for 2-3 years before Peppers starts to decline significantly. By then we would probably be fully transitioned to whichever defense we are going to stick with. Also, we would have probably drafted a replacement for guys like Peppers and Vrabel, and allowed them to develop for a year or two under their tutelage.

A man can dream cant he ...
    Great point and good breakdown. Too bad, Carolina wouldnt take anything less than a limb for Peppers.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

No way. You combine compensation with what Peppers would want contractually and you can forget getting him in KC. Too expensive.

We will not get Peppers. It is being reported by Vic Carruci that New England and Carolina are close to a deal for Peppers and the 2nd round pick we gave them for Casell.

Cassel to Donkeys was also "Close"
    Navy Nuclear Power Credo:
    We the Unwilling, led by the Unknowing
    and Ungrateful, do the Impossible.
    We have been doing so much,
    for so long, with so little
    We are now Qualified to do Anything with Nothing!

ESPN just reported that the Patriots were considering trading the 34th overall from us to Carolina for Peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    ESPN just reported that the Patriots were considering trading the 34th overall from us to Carolina for Peppers.
    Not doubting ya at all buddy, I just wonder if you have a link? I'm just too lazy to go lookin for it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Not doubting ya at all buddy, I just wonder if you have a link? I'm just too lazy to go lookin for it myself.
    Just watched it on SportCenter. I will try and find a link if it's on ESPN.com
    Last edited by Drunker Hillbilly; 03-16-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast