Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Engram Visiting With Chiefs Today

Default Bobby Engram Visiting With Chiefs Today

Could be a cheap option for a possession slot receiver. Caught 94 balls 2 years ago, and was hampered last year with injuries (plus Hasselbeck missed most of the year). Kind of old, but could be a nice pickup for a year or two. He's kind of like a poor man's Wes Welker.

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive With Houshmandzadeh in Seattle, Engram visits Chiefs «

After adding a quarterback over the weekend, Kansas City now is looking at a wide receiver.

Seattle’s free-agent wide receiver Bobby Engram is in Kansas City today visiting with the Chiefs. The visit makes sense on various fronts.

Back when Engram played in Chicago, he spent one season working with a young assistant coach, Todd Haley, who now is the Chiefs head coach.

Also, Seattle moved on a receiver of its own Monday, when it signed T.J. Houshmandzadeh, leaving that much less playing time for Engram, a 13-year vet.

But Engram has produced at his two previous stops — five seasons in Chicago and the last eight in Seattle. Now he could have the chance to do the same in Kansas City.
    Last edited by yashi; 03-03-2009 at 11:15 AM.

interesting.

i expected the chiefs to try to get a 2nd receiver without drafting crabtree. it would make sense - engram sounds like a perfect 2 WR. that gives us bowe, TG, and engram. i would be satisfied.

I envision it like this.

Engram - Short routes
    Bowe - Intermediate routes & screens
    Bradley (Franklin for when Bradley inevitably gets hurt) - Deep routes

TG would probably be able to block more, which would help a lot with pass protection. I think the WR situation wouldn't be bad this way.. we've really lacked a WR with good hands to run short routes for a while now.

With Haley we can expect a lot of 3 WR sets, so it would be nice if they're all capable receivers for once.

He went to Penn State.

I would be fine with it except........knowing that he had barely played in the past 2 or 3 years. What if he comes here and is hurt and doesn't play?
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Anyway, he left town without a contract...

The biggest problem I have w/ this is....he's 36!!!... I mean I'm not a genius but that's pretty damn old for an NFL WR. I'm not completely against it because he'll be helpful on this short yardage catches, but I think we can find someone a little younger w/o the history of injuries...It's bad enough that Bradley has bad knees!

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Now days that really doesn't mean he won't get one . Most likely if he turned in a good work out Pioli and Haley will discuss it and if Haley gives the ok on the workout Pioli will contact his manager about an offer on a contract.

He went for over a thousand yards in 07 so he still has it in him to help us out .

Quote Originally Posted by kcmostwanted View Post
    The biggest problem I have w/ this is....he's 36!!!... I mean I'm not a genius but that's pretty damn old for an NFL WR. I'm not completely against it because he'll be helpful on this short yardage catches, but I think we can find someone a little younger w/o the history of injuries...It's bad enough that Bradley has bad knees!
    Yeah, but Engram was never a guy that depended on blazing speed for success...he is a student of the game, an excellent route runner and has very dependable hands. He's long been Hasselbeck's favorite target on 3rd downs....

He'd be a great pickup for your offense IMO...

Edited to add...just read the other thread announcing his signing...LOL...new job prevents me from being online as much, hadn't seen the news yet today (or yesterday for that matter)
    Last edited by rbedgood; 03-19-2009 at 02:43 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast