Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else not that impressed?

Default Anyone else not that impressed?

I'll say it. I'm not scared.

I haven't been overwhelmed with our off season acquisitions.

I'm not that excited about Cassel. I just feel there should have been more pressing needs dealt with first. There were a lot more weaknesses, in my opinion, that should have been addressed. I would have much rather kept our high second round pick.

I feel like all we have been signing have been a bunch of fringe, special team players.

I also noticed that if anyone even hints on this board that they aren't completely satisfied with all of Pioli's decisions that they are quickly shouted down and sometimes told they are not true Chiefs fans.

Get excited if you want, but I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet.

How do you feel?
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

I'm kinda pissed that Pioli traded away our 34th pick without asking us first!!! I mean, c'mon; I've been a Chiefs fan for 40 years and he just got here!!?? Did we really need a qb? I thought Thig was no worse or better than Cassel. So now we have two decent qb's and glaring holes on OL and on defensive front 7. I realize Vrabel was a nice pickup but not an every-down player and in the twilight of his career.
    Having said that I hope Pioli was right and we get these holes filled before opening day...
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I personally want to wait until free agency/the draft is over. There is so much specualtion about Pioli/Haley doing the right or wrong things, then people complain that there is no news coming out of Arrowhead.

If there is no news then how can you expect to be happy or unhappy with any of the decisions made. I personally am happy with the Cassel aquisition because we may actually have a QB that will be around (and good) for a while.

As far as the Kool Aid thing, I have decided to step out of it. Far too many people here get bent out of shape because they can't complain about things. You wanna bash your favorite team? Go ahead (no you prough, but some people) I think it is funny to watch some get all up in my face because I choose to not bad mouth my favorite team. I guess if people want to continue with the sad sack bullsh!t then let them go ahead. I watch football because it makes me happy. The day football stops making me happy or the day I start hating on the Chiefs is the day I will stop watching.
    +1

I'm on the wait-and-see holding pattern, myself. That's a big reason I haven't been posting much lately. They said they'd be active with the second tier of free agency and that period has just begun. From what I've read, Haley has just NOW finished his current player evaluations. The next 6 weeks should be active for the Chiefs between trades (Gonzo/LJ/Waters/#3/Dorsey) and free agency.

There's just SO much time between now and the end of the draft for the Chiefs to "impress" me.

I will say this though: I can't get over how HORRIBLE the coaching staff looks. With every coaching signing we made, I found myself having to consciously pull my jaw off the ground and stop shaking my head. Haley is an issue all to himself and I'll trust Pioli on that one. But could we at the very least prop him up with some coaches who were responsible for at least an AVERAGE defense? Both the LB coach and the DC were responsible for AWFUL defenses last season and we bring THEM in. NICE. I wouldn't have minded the offensive minded HC so much if we had Crennel locked up. But, as it is, we get Dick Vermeil/Greg Robinson Part Deux.

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    I agree...im not 100% sold on Cassel yet. If Pioli was so good at finding gem qb's of the future in the draft, why not draft an Olineman (wouldnt hurt) with no.3 overall, give Thigpen one years worth to prove he can play, and if he isnt what Pioli is looking for, he can give the qb he drafts in this year's class (assuming he takes a qb in the 6th or 7th round this year) a chance at the starting gig the following year...its not like we are going to compete for the superbowl this year or anything...

and i agree about having more pressing needs than QB...that 2nd rounder (34 overall) could have landed us a mighty fine linebacker....which is exactly what NE will do with it...
    As far as Cassel and people talking about him being a product of the system in NE, I don't buy that. I think we got INCREDIBLE value with our 2nd round pick. Mock drafts had us taking Sanchez #3 overall. I don't care how big of a risk you think Cassel is with that 2nd round pick, he still isn't anywhere CLOSE to being as big of a risk as Sanchez 32 picks earlier.

IMO, Cassel and Sanchez are close to the same QB. They both played at USC in a pro-style offense. Both are relatively immobile and pocket passers, but one of them has an entire season of starting in the NFL and has proven he can play in this league. THAT'S OUR GUY.

I agree that Thigpen could've been the guy next season, but if they could BOTH be successful in the future offense, seems to me like we've got a very capable backup and have found the answer for two big question marks heading into the off season. Even if Cassel and Thigpen are "system" QB's, they're both going to be playing in the same system together and the system will be run by Haley/Gailey who ran the SAME systems with their teams LAST year.

We, as Chiefs fans may WANT the franchise to go back to "pro-style" offense next season, but it's EXTREMELY hard to argue with:
    A) what the Chiefs achieved last season learning on the fly
    B) what the Cardinals achieved last season with only 2 receiving threats
    C) what the Patriots have achieved running this same-type offense for the last two or three seasons.

For these reasons, I still think it's unwise to rule out a Michael Crabtree pick at #3 and a Wes Welker type WR signing during FA or later in the draft. The Chiefs didn't give up many sacks last season and the new staff might see all they need to in the unit to give them a passing grade for their system. (That's what it looks like thus far, anyway) The Cardinals line was horrible at run blocking, but somehow gave Warner all he needed to take that team to the Super Bowl. I can't see Haley destroying this O-line... although he's not doing it any favors by pissing off the leaders (Waters/Gonzo).

Why such a short reply texas? I act as if you've nothing to say?

Nice reply BTW.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 03-17-2009 at 12:19 AM.

ya........... nice and long. like always

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    I'm kinda pissed that Pioli traded away our 34th pick without asking us first!!! I mean, c'mon; I've been a Chiefs fan for 40 years and he just got here!!?? Did we really need a qb? I thought Thig was no worse or better than Cassel. So now we have two decent qb's and glaring holes on OL and on defensive front 7. I realize Vrabel was a nice pickup but not an every-down player and in the twilight of his career.
    Having said that I hope Pioli was right and we get these holes filled before opening day...
    Cassell has and will continue to prove to be a much better QB than Thigpen will ever be. Decision making being a key!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    Cassell has and will continue to prove to be a much better QB than Thigpen will ever be. Decision making being a key!!
    We'll see how good of decisions he can make when he's running his a$$ off.
    "If you need braggin' on, let someone else do it"-my dad

I have not seen a lot of "bashing" of this team by the fans here but I have seen varied, strong opinions over some of the decision making in the past, in which I feel is very applicable..Hence the last couple of pathetic seasons.

Personally, I think this will be one of the "weaker" divisions which will provide a reasonable opportunity to win an AFC West Title but further than that, I doubt it this year. Highly possible next year to seriously complete in the play-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post
    We'll see how good of decisions he can make when he's running his a$$ off.
    His decision making has already been proven to be better than Thigpens was last year! Just being in the system he was gives him an advantage. You act like he wasn't running his a$$ off last year! He did get sacked 47 times!

Quote Originally Posted by prough91 View Post

I'm not that excited about Cassel.

How could you not be excited bout having good, competant depth at the QB spot? Whomever starts?

I would have much rather kept our high second round pick.

Say right now that Matt Cassell was in the draft. Do you seriously think that he would make it to the 34th pick?! We got a killer deal!

I feel like all we have been signing have been a bunch of fringe, special team players.

I understand what your sayin there, but understand this is Piolis way. Like when he built the Pats, it wasnt a bunch of big time players but an all around evenly distriburted talent team.

I also noticed that if anyone even hints on this board that they aren't completely satisfied with all of Pioli's decisions that they are quickly shouted down and sometimes told they are not true Chiefs fans.

Let them. I appreciate disagreements. I didnt like Piolis dealing with Waters. I was one of the few that agreed with Waters. And I dont agree with Pendergast either. If anyone says someones not a true Chiefs fan then they are just embarrassing themselves.

Get excited if you want, but I'm not drinking the kool-aid yet.

heh, Im not drinking the kool aid till I see the Red Coaters hoist the Lombardi trophy again.

How do you feel?
    Overall. Herm Edwards and CP are gone. There is no reason to not get excited simply by those moves alone.

Well even at the end of last eyar I alwasy told people what the Chiefs do good not bad so I am just very optimistic about the greatest team in the world. The thing is it is not just FANS thinking the chiefs are going to do good. Even the analyst think the Chiefs could be a cinderella team and it's not just one guy thinking that. The Patriots was built with people that noone else wanted and that's the approach Pioli is taking. Noone is expecting us to win the superbowl next year but we go 8-8 that is a huge leap in the right direction. Is there some free agents I think we should go after, Yeah I think we should be calling orlando paces agent and see about bringing in some exp on our oline and why not Holt to gives us a good possession WR. I mean they are older guys but what you need on a young team is leadership and that's what Vrabel and Cassell bring, Yes Cassell brings leadership he was QB of the patriots last year with memebers liek Moss and Welker and he earned thier trust if he can do that then there is somethign special about this guy. Im just saying Mcdaniels was willing to guive up Cutler who is a pro bowler so he must know somethign about Cassell. Im just stoked

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast