Thread: ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Chiefs Add Depth With Engram, Copper, and Biesel

Post ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Chiefs Add Depth With Engram, Copper, and Biesel

By: Kevin AndersenScott Pioli is keeping his word by building depth to our roster as proved in today’s moves. The Chiefs have agreed to terms with free agent wide receivers Bobby Engram and Terrance Copper. They also added a little more depth and experience on the defensive side of the ball with the addition of LB Monty Beisel.Bobby Engram, who was originally drafted in 1996 by the Chicago bears in the second round. After spending 5 seasons with Bears, he joined the Seattle Seahawks and became a good receiver. In his 8 seasons with the Seahawks, Engram grabbed 399 receptions,...

More...

Default This one is on Biesel From "kcchiefs.com"

BEISEL HOPES TO PROVE YOU CAN COME HOME AGAIN

MAR 18, 2009, 8:28:34 AM BY BOB GRETZ - FAQ

It was several days before start of Super Bowl XLII in Tampa and inside a giant tent that was set up in the parking lot of the Arizona Cardinals hotel, Monty Beisel was talking to the media.
    He smiled when he saw a familiar face from his football past, and without prompting, he launched into an answer for an unasked question about new Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli.
    “It’s a great, great move,” Beisel said that day. “They are getting a first-class guy with him.”
    Little did Beisel know that six weeks later, he would be heading back home to Kansas City as an unrestricted free agent, after agreeing to a deal with Pioli and the Chiefs that was announced on Tuesday.
    There’s history here. Yes, Beisel was a fourth-round selection of the Chiefs in the 2001 NFL Draft. Yes, he played four years in the red and gold for Dick Vermeil. And when he left as an unrestricted free agent in 2005, Pioli was the guy who recruited and signed Beisel to a contract with the New England Patriots.
    “He was the guy who signed me and what I saw there for two years was he was always involved with the players,” Beisel said of Pioli. “He was always talking with guys, checking up on them, finding out what was going on in their personal lives, stuff like that.
    “In the off-season, you would go in and be working out and he would be on the next machine. You could be lifting weights and he would be lifting right next to you. He was always around and he made you feel like what was going on in your life was important, not just what was going on when it involved football.”
    Beisel played the 2005 season with the Patriots, contributing 57 tackles in 15 games. He was released in New England’s final cut before the 2006 regular season.
    “I enjoyed my time there,” Beisel said. “It’s a good atmosphere. I know Scott wasn’t the final word when it came to stuff, but there’s no doubt in my mind he’ll bring the same kind of attitudes to the Chiefs.”
    And right now, the Chiefs duo of Pioli and head coach Todd Haley are looking for the kind of attitudes that Beisel can bring to the 2009 Chiefs. After eight seasons in the league, Beisel identity is as a role player, a guy who contributes in the kicking game and in sub-defenses, like goal-line and short yardage.
    In Super Bowl XLII, Beisel got credit for taking part in four tackles on defense. Considering the number of plays he took part in as part of the short-yardage/goal-line units, he may have been the most productive defender in the game for the Cardinals.
    Haley got to know Beisel during two seasons together in Arizona, and he knows what the linebacker can bring to his new team.
    “He’s another guy expressed interest pretty quick that he would like to be part of what we are doing,” Haley said. “Guys that want to be here, we are excited about.”
    Things never quite worked out for Beisel at Arrowhead, as he joined a group of linebackers who moved on from the Chiefs in the last few years but found playing time elsewhere in the league. Linebackers like Kawika Mitchell in Buffalo, Scott Fujita in New Orleans, Keyaron Fox in Pittsburgh and Beisel with the Cardinals.
    “I don’t really spend any time thinking about what happened with the Chiefs,” Beisel said back in Tampa. “It just didn’t work out for me there. I didn’t fit what they were looking for and that’s how it goes sometimes.”
    What has Beisel noticed in four seasons away from the Chiefs that might have been missing in Kansas City?
    “What I saw in New England and what I’ve seen here in Arizona was veteran leadership,” said Beisel. “That’s how the Patriots get things done and that has been huge for us with the Cardinals.”
    And now, the ‘09 Chiefs are counting on Monty Beisel to provide that veteran leadership in his second time around with the club.
    They want him to help show the way. He wants to prove that you can go home again.