Thread: ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Chiefs Mock Draft

Post ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Chiefs Mock Draft

With 6 picks scheduled for the 2009 draft and with a possibility of getting a compensatory pick, the Chiefs will have the opportunity to get some good players. By getting a QB and LB for the #34 pick they have started out well on updating the roster. The other free agency signings have been nothing special, but they do add some depth. The great part about mock drafts is they can follow any style the writer likes. I decided to skip all the other teams and pick players that I believe will be available at each Chief pick. I...

More...

I like the mock, but why would the Chiefs get a compensatory pick? We didn't lose any free agents (JA doesn't count, as that was a trade, and Napo doesn't count as we cut him) in 2008 that I can think of that would amount to a compensatory pick.

As for the picks:

You had for Round 1: Jason Smith (OT)

I agree, insofar that I think he would be a great pick. But I don't think he lasts past two. In fact, I think the draft goes Jason Smith at 1 and then Monroe at 2. Which leaves us either Curry, Raji, or trade down. With Curry on the board, and both the Browns (5) and Packers (9) moving to the 3-4, a trade down is not out of the question.

If we trade down to 5, we should get B. J. Raji. If we trade down to 9, we should get Rey Maualuga (Raji will go at lowest to the Benglas at 6).

You had Round 3: Connor Barwin (DE) or Lawrence Sidbury (DE)

Both would need to put on serious weight (Barwin's 254 lbs. and Sidbury's 266 lbs.), as we are almost defintiely transitioning to the 3-4.

We should go best OL (preferably RT) for this pick, in my opinion.

You had for Round 4: Ron Brace (DT)

I agree. If we don't trade down and get Raji, Brace would be a great pick.

If we do get Raji, we should go interior OL with this pick.

You had for Round 5: Scott McKillop (ILB)

Agreed. Would be a great pick in the 5th.

You had for Round 6: Mike Thomas (WR)

Disagree. We already have too many WRs on the roster. We should go DE (biggest and best available) with this pick.

You had for Round 7: Mitch King (DT)

Disagree. We already have too many DTs on the roster (especially if we get Brace or Raji). We should go DE (biggest and best available) with this pick.

I reserve the right to change this due to any FA moves.

Something to think about:
    The Eagles need an OT real bad. If we trade down with them and go by the value board, they would have to give us thier 21st and 28th picks, plus probally a third or fourth round pick.
    We could still pick a DE and Center and have another value pick to boot. As much as I like Curry or a OT at three, this would be an awesome deal for us.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    Something to think about:
    The Eagles need an OT real bad. If we trade down with them and go by the value board, they would have to give us thier 21st and 28th picks, plus probally a third or fourth round pick.
    We could still pick a DE and Center and have another value pick to boot. As much as I like Curry or a OT at three, this would be an awesome deal for us.
    The Eagles aren't making that trade. And no one uses that chart anymore.

RD 1 #3- Aaron Curry- He's still the highest rated player, if available we take him, if not Smith or Monroe.

RD 3 #67- Jaron Gilbert. He might not be the speed rusher everyone wants, but of the available DE, I think he's only one who can come in and be a productive starter right away.

RD 4 #98- Antoine Caldwell, center, Alabama, he's a stud in the middle, team captain and leader.

RD 5 #131- Kory Sheets RB, Purdue. A good runner, 4.39 speed and has return skills.

RD 6 #162- Jason Phillips ILB, TCU. Plays hard with a big motor.

RD 7 #195- Troy Nolan FS, ASU. A little more compition at safety couldn't hurt.

At the moment I can only decide on one player that i want the chiefs to definately pick up;

That's Aaron Curry for #1 round pick.

Jamie Dukes has us taking Crabtree at three.

I dont know if any of you pay attention to him on NFL network. But you want to talk about a guy who talks out of his arse.

Mock draft 2.0: Chiefs might not be able to pass on Crabtree

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    I like the mock, but why would the Chiefs get a compensatory pick? We didn't lose any free agents (JA doesn't count, as that was a trade, and Napo doesn't count as we cut him) in 2008 that I can think of that would amount to a compensatory pick.

As for the picks:

You had for Round 1: Jason Smith (OT)

I agree, insofar that I think he would be a great pick. But I don't think he lasts past two. In fact, I think the draft goes Jason Smith at 1 and then Monroe at 2. Which leaves us either Curry, Raji, or trade down. With Curry on the board, and both the Browns (5) and Packers (9) moving to the 3-4, a trade down is not out of the question.

If we trade down to 5, we should get B. J. Raji. If we trade down to 9, we should get Rey Maualuga (Raji will go at lowest to the Benglas at 6).

You had Round 3: Connor Barwin (DE) or Lawrence Sidbury (DE)

Both would need to put on serious weight (Barwin's 254 lbs. and Sidbury's 266 lbs.), as we are almost defintiely transitioning to the 3-4.

We should go best OL (preferably RT) for this pick, in my opinion.

You had for Round 4: Ron Brace (DT)

I agree. If we don't trade down and get Raji, Brace would be a great pick.

If we do get Raji, we should go interior OL with this pick.

You had for Round 5: Scott McKillop (ILB)

Agreed. Would be a great pick in the 5th.

You had for Round 6: Mike Thomas (WR)

Disagree. We already have too many WRs on the roster. We should go DE (biggest and best available) with this pick.

You had for Round 7: Mitch King (DT)

Disagree. We already have too many DTs on the roster (especially if we get Brace or Raji). We should go DE (biggest and best available) with this pick.

I reserve the right to change this due to any FA moves.
    I like your first few picks. I especially like Ron Brace. I watched this guy at the Combine and he's got game. It's iffy for me if we wait til the 4th round and see if he is there. I think he makes a strong case for our 3rd round pick. I would be all for finding a way to get another 3rd round so we can get Barwin or Sidbury and Brace. This draft doesn't offer much in my opinion. We do not need to draft a WR though. We have signed 3 this offseason and still have 6, meaning we have 9 WR. I can't til after preseason to see who Haley keeps.