Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzo to stay in KC!!!!!

Default Gonzo to stay in KC!!!!!

The scroll at the bottom of ESPN is saying that the Chiefs will keep Gonzo but have not made any decisions about Larry Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Chiefs Owner Addresses Status Of Key Veterans

Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2009, 7:41 a.m.
    On Monday, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt addressed the future of three high-profile members of the team during a break in the league meetings.
    According to Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star, Hunt believes that tight end Tony Gonzalez likely will stay, and that running back Larry Johnson and guard Brian Waters might stay.
    As to Gonzalez, Hunt says that no action will be taken to move the perennial Pro Bowler.
    “We certainly will not seek a trade for Tony,” Hunt said. “I think he’s excited about the changes we’ve made here. I think he recognizes that with Todd [Haley] as the head coach, we’re going to have an exciting offense and one that will feature the passing game. No matter our starting quarterback, it will be someone who will look his way quite a bit.”
    Johnson seemed dead set of leaving based on comments he made last month to a Kansas City radio station. But Hunt now seems to think that Johnson might choose to stick around.
    “It’s still my hope Larry will be a part of this team next season,” Hunt said. “We all saw the comments he made at the end of the season and repeated about a month later. Those were disappointing. Recently, I’ve heard he’s excited about being a Kansas City Chief again and expects to be in the offseason program and help us be successful.”
    If that last sentence is accurate, it would represent a remarkable change in attitude. Indeed, Johnson made a public plea to be traded or released during a radio spot — and he specifically asked that the segment commence with this quote from Al Pacino in the movie Scarface:
    “You’re all a bunch of f–king *******s. You know why? You don’t have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your f–king fingers and say, ‘That’s the bad guy.’
    “So, what [does] that make you, good? You’re not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don’t have that card. Me, I always tell the truth, even when I lie.”
    Waters also sounded off last month regarding the new regime in Kansas City, and based on Hunt’s words it sounds like Waters is the most likely to be traded.
    “I have to say I was surprised by Brian Waters and his comments,” Hunt said. “My experience with him is that he’s been a leader for the team and wants to play for the Chiefs. Those comments were probably made in the heat of the moment. It’s important for Brian and Todd and Scott to get to spend some time together working with each other before any kind of decision is made there.”
    So there’s a chance that all three of the players ultimately will stick around. Given the noise that each of them were making not all that long ago, finding a way to make the three players want to stay would represent a major victory of the Pioli-Haley era.

If Larry buys in and behaves, could be a real good thing. Waters leaving would suck! Gonzo hopefully ends his career a Chief.

Would like to see Tony and Brian stay; Larry can go IMO.

GOOD NEWS:invasion:
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?u=2574&type=sigpic&dateline=1233413652

I could care less about LJ but I am happy about Tony!!!
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Updated: March 24, 2009, 10:11 PM ET
    Report: Gonzalez open to trade talk

Comment Email Print Share var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title:"Report:%20Chiefs\'%20Gonzalez%20still%20int erested%20in%20trade", url:"http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4013606", published: "2009-03-24" }); stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnst link"));
    Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Contrary to remarks by Kansas City owner Clark Hunt, Tony Gonzalez wants to be traded if the right deal can be made, a person close to the Pro Bowl tight end told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
    Asking not to be identified because of the sensitivity of the subject, the person said Gonzalez was surprised that Hunt had said the Chiefs were definitely not going to trade their 10-time Pro Bowler.
    "If the right deal can be made, Tony very much wants the Chiefs to trade him," the person said. "Tony is not demanding a trade. Tony cherishes the time he's spent with the Chiefs and he loves the way he's always been treated by the fans there. But he knows of some other teams that would be interested in him and if the right deal can be made, he wants it to be made."
    A Chiefs spokesman said Hunt could not be immediately reached. At the owners' meeting in Dana Point, Calif., on Monday, Hunt said the Chiefs had decided not to deal Gonzalez, whose many NFL records includes the most catches, yards receiving and touchdown receptions by a tight end.
    "We certainly will not seek a trade for Tony," Hunt told The Kansas City Star. "I think he's excited about the changes we've made here. I think he recognizes that with Todd [Haley] as the head coach, we're going to have an exciting offense and one that will feature the passing game."
    Since the end of a 2-14 season, the Chiefs have installed Scott Pioli as general manager and Haley as head coach.
    The 33-year-old Gonzalez asked to be traded last October. But then-general manager Carl Peterson said no team that Gonzalez was willing to go to made a good enough offer.
    The only tight end in NFL history selected to 10 Pro Bowls, Gonzalez was usually double-teamed last year but still caught 96 passes for 1,058 yards and 10 touchdowns. He plans on playing at least one more season and possibly two.
    "If the Chiefs can't make a deal with the right team, then Tony will be fine with that," The AP was told. "He is not demanding a trade. But if the right deal can be made, he very much would like to be traded."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    The scroll at the bottom of ESPN is saying that the Chiefs will keep Gonzo
    That's a relief!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast