Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Goff has agreed to contract terms with Chiefs

Default Mike Goff has agreed to contract terms with Chiefs

The Kansas City Star

DANA POINT, Calif. | The Chiefs agreed to contract terms today with veteran offensive lineman Mike Goff. Goff has some versatility and could wind up starting for the Chiefs at center or right guard.
    The 33-year-old Goff played 11 NFL seasons, the first six with Cincinnati and the last five with San Diego. He has been a starter for the past nine seasons.

Don;t know much about him. Is he any good? You would think so if he started the last 9 years right?

Goff is from the Chargers is he not?

This not only fills a starting role in our Offensive Line for a few years (and hes more than just a starter, i think Goff is an above average player)

*It also makes the Chargers offense worse*...and with the Broncos drama, i see them winning 7 games at most...The Chargers maybe 8, 9...

We can take this division ** this year! **

Quote Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
    We can take this division ** this year! **
    Definatly!
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Me thinks a plan is taking shape. What this plan is, not for us to know.

We need Oline help especially with a new QB that needs protection

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I remember Goff from our games against The Chargers the past few seasons.

He is definitely a strong run blocker.

It can be hard to judge an OGs pass blocking, without really looking at it for a few games. But he can't have been too bad at it.

Overall, I think this is a great signing.

One of the biggest questions about a veteran O-lineman is durability. Id he going to be able to stay on the field?

And, in this case, I think we are as safe as we could hope to be.

I think that the fact that he has been a starter for every game for The Chargers is very impressive.

We all know of the success that that offense has had during Goffs five seasons there. So we know that can be a part of a very successful offense.

As long as we keep Waters, this is a tremendous upgrade for our offense. At C, or at RG.

Clearly, you have to consider that he is on the "back-9" of his career. But I feel like we really needed this for the next couple of seasons.

If we log him in at RG, then that gives us three competent starters, and could go a long way toward improving the play of Niswanger at C too.

However, if we wind-up going OT in the draft, and the rookie can win the LOT spot, then we have the ability to move Albert to ROT, or to RG, while Goff takes over at C.

Either of those scenarios gives us four solid starters, of five positions, provided Albert and rookie meet expectations.

And if we don't go OT in the first round, we could still get a OG or C in the third, that could be a top prospect.

If we still had our second round pick, then I would feel pretty comfortable hoping for a second round O-lineman, because of how high we were in the second round.

But with both ROT and C still needing to be addressed (IMO), I think that the best way to fill one of those needs is to go OT in the first round still.

But I am very happy to see Goff will be a part of our plans for this season.

Very big upgrade.
    Nice post. I see Goff playing right guard. I think we can plug someone into the center spot. We really need a RT IMO. We should be able to find one of those in the 3rd round.

I highly doubt that we take another LT in the first round this year. Pioli has a history of taking defensive players in the first round and this team had an anemic pass rush last year. Albert should be fine at LT, so why draft another LT just to move Albert to RT. I think they will take the best defensive player on the board at #3 and then get a RT in the 3rd round.

The only exception could be trade scenarios with LJ. If they trade LJ, they will be praying that Shonn Greene(RB, Iowa) falls into their lap in the 3rd round. If they trade LJ, they will need an every down back and I'm not sure they will be content with relying on Kolby Smith as that guy considering he is coming off a season ending knee injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Nice post. I see Goff playing right guard. I think we can plug someone into the center spot. We really need a RT IMO. We should be able to find one of those in the 3rd round.

I highly doubt that we take another LT in the first round this year. Pioli has a history of taking defensive players in the first round and this team had an anemic pass rush last year. Albert should be fine at LT, so why draft another LT just to move Albert to RT. I think they will take the best defensive player on the board at #3 and then get a RT in the 3rd round.

The only exception could be trade scenarios with LJ. If they trade LJ, they will be praying that Shonn Greene(RB, Iowa) falls into their lap in the 3rd round. If they trade LJ, they will need an every down back and I'm not sure they will be content with relying on Kolby Smith as that guy considering he is coming off a season ending knee injury.
    On the other hand, if we run the spread offense then perhaps we could get more production out of Smith then with the more traditional run the ball, clock control type offense. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by warcrychief View Post

Mike Goff has played guard his entire career and in college. And this draft is pretty deep at center as well. Think Caldwell out of Alabama or AQ Shipley out of PSU both are gamers but we could get one of these guys in the 4th and either could be a very solid starter. Shipley may have short arms, but had a good career-scored a 40 on the wonderlic, and is very strong. Albert, Waters, Shipley or Caldwell, Goff, and maybe still McIntosh at RT. Not bad.

Why is there so much conversation about switching Goff to center- this is an honest question he has not played any center, is it just an easy switch?

I am excited about how Pioli is building this team. It clearly shows that they are trying to put together a team to win while being conscious of budget for the future. I have been going on and on about how Peterson and Edwards were mind-number idiots when they thought they could release every veteran on the team and still field any kind of competitive football team.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast