Thread: ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Is He or Isn’t He: The Tony Gonzalez Story

Post ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Is He or Isn’t He: The Tony Gonzalez Story

By: Vanilla Garilla

I’m writing this column after being thoroughly disgusted with all of the supposed trade requests that the key members of the chiefs are making. At first, it was the one of the very vocal columnists from the KC Star reporting that Brian Waters is wanting to be traded after a failed meeting with Scott Pioli and Todd Haley. Brian Waters has not publicly come out and said he asked for a trade. Brian has barely even spoke about the events that occurred that day. So I am saying this supposed trade request is BUNK! Scott Pioli was recently on record stating that “Brian Waters is a Chief, he is under contract.” So let’s just put that one to rest for a while shall we?

The one supposed trade request this off season that really grinds my gears, so to speak, is the Tony Gonzalez one. It seems as though every other week, NFL analysts, and alleged “insiders” are saying that Tony definitely wants out, then a week later say that he wishes to stay a Chief this season. I do not buy into these proposed rumors for one simple reason. If Tony wanted traded, he would have make it public just as he did last season.

Here are another couple of reasons why even if Tony wanted traded, that it probably wouldn’t happen.
    1. I think everybody in the Chiefs organization is well aware that a fairly new starting quarterback such as Matt Cassel needs a big target with great hands and the ability to create plays. There is only one offensive player on this team that truly fits that bill, Tony Gonzalez. Sure, Dwayne Bowe is definitely a threat, but he is not consistent enough to be the "go to" guy.
    2. No NFL team will give up enough value to match what Gonzalez brings to the table. We saw last year, even with Tony having an excellent season, that no team was willing to offer any decent trade for him. So what is going to change now that he is one year older, and has no promise of delivering the same numbers as he has the last decade?
    With all of that said, this is still the very unpredictable NFL, and who knows what will happen. Any player can be traded at any time if the price is right. Although, in my heart of hearts I believe that we will see #88 in red and gold next year, catching numerous passes from our new quarterback, and dunking many footballs in the end zone this next season.
    Last edited by Coach; 03-29-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Well Coach, I for one have to agree. I don't really believe Tony wanted out of KC, he made a comment to someone and as always it took off from there. I see Tony remaining a Chief until his retirement. In the eye's of any true Chiefs Fan, Tony will forever and always remain a Chiefs and no matter what happens from this point on I wish him the very best and I hope he has that chance to capture that superbowl ring and I hope he gets it as a Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    By: Vanilla Garilla

I’m writing this column after being thoroughly disgusted with all of the supposed trade requests that the key members of the chiefs are making. At first, it was the one of the very vocal columnists from the KC Star reporting that Brian Waters is wanting to be traded after a failed meeting with Scott Pioli and Todd Haley. Brian Waters has not publicly come out and said he asked for a trade. Brian has barely even spoke about the events that occurred that day. So I am saying this supposed trade request is BUNK! Scott Pioli was recently on record stating that “Brian Waters is a Chief, he is under contract.” So let’s just put that one to rest for a while shall we?

The one supposed trade request this off season that really grinds my gears, so to speak, is the Tony Gonzalez one. It seems as though every other week, NFL analysts, and alleged “insiders” are saying that Tony definitely wants out, then a week later say that he wishes to stay a Chief this season. I do not buy into these proposed rumors for one simple reason. If Tony wanted traded, he would have make it public just as he did last season.

Here are another couple of reasons why even if Tony wanted traded, that it probably wouldn’t happen.
    1. I think everybody in the Chiefs organization is well aware that a fairly new starting quarterback such as Matt Cassel needs a big target with great hands and the ability to create plays. There is only one offensive player on this team that truly fits that bill, Tony Gonzalez. Sure, Dwayne Bowe is definitely a threat, but he is not consistent enough to be the "go to" guy.
    2. No NFL team will give up enough value to match what Gonzalez brings to the table. We saw last year, even with Tony having an excellent season, that no team was willing to offer any decent trade for him. So what is going to change now that he is one year older, and has no promise of delivering the same numbers as he has the last decade?
    With all of that said, this is still the very unpredictable NFL, and who knows what will happen. Any player can be traded at any time if the price is right. Although, in my heart of hearts I believe that we will see #88 in red and gold next year, catching numerous passes from our new quarterback, and dunking many footballs in the end zone this next season.
    It never really bugs me when guys request trades, simply because the NFL contracts are so unilateral. Owners don't have to abide by them, so it doesn't bug me when players try every method they can to win now or to get paid up front. The NFL really needs to fix its whole pay system come next collective bargaining session.

That being said, you are right about Gonzo. We couldn't even come close to finding someone to replace him. I am not a Cottam fan, and we couldn't get an equal player to Gonzo in the draft. If he's willing to play for us at 100%, even if he's unhappy, then we'd be nuts to let him go.

Waters I'm iffier about. If we could get a low 2nd/high 3rd for him, we could draft his replacement. While I'd be sad to see him go, he's at the end of his career, he's unhappy, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him retire in 2010. Unless we're ready to win now (and we're not), I'm for trading him if the price is right.

LJ and Hali weren't mentioned by you, but I think both should be on the trade block. LJ we probably can't trade given his age/salary/attitude/etc., but I don't mind trying. Hali just doesn't fit with us anymore. If we can get a 3rd for him, trade him.

I have said this before and I stand by it, IF TG really wanted to leave, then set him free and get anything you can out of him, but as I stated I think Tony said some thing and it just went from there. Now we don't really know Pioli and his style, and at this point I don't think anyone even TG or Thiggy is safe from a possible last minute trade deal. I could be wrong but as coach said the NFL now days and people like Pioli are very unpredictable.

Tony is worth more to KC than any other team in the NFL, and we all know Tony will give 100% on every play that's just the way he's alwaws played and will continue to play. He doesn't know any other way.