Thread: ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Is He or Isn’t He: The Tony Gonzalez Story

Threaded View

Post ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Is He or Isn’t He: The Tony Gonzalez Story

By: Vanilla Garilla

I’m writing this column after being thoroughly disgusted with all of the supposed trade requests that the key members of the chiefs are making. At first, it was the one of the very vocal columnists from the KC Star reporting that Brian Waters is wanting to be traded after a failed meeting with Scott Pioli and Todd Haley. Brian Waters has not publicly come out and said he asked for a trade. Brian has barely even spoke about the events that occurred that day. So I am saying this supposed trade request is BUNK! Scott Pioli was recently on record stating that “Brian Waters is a Chief, he is under contract.” So let’s just put that one to rest for a while shall we?

The one supposed trade request this off season that really grinds my gears, so to speak, is the Tony Gonzalez one. It seems as though every other week, NFL analysts, and alleged “insiders” are saying that Tony definitely wants out, then a week later say that he wishes to stay a Chief this season. I do not buy into these proposed rumors for one simple reason. If Tony wanted traded, he would have make it public just as he did last season.

Here are another couple of reasons why even if Tony wanted traded, that it probably wouldn’t happen.
    1. I think everybody in the Chiefs organization is well aware that a fairly new starting quarterback such as Matt Cassel needs a big target with great hands and the ability to create plays. There is only one offensive player on this team that truly fits that bill, Tony Gonzalez. Sure, Dwayne Bowe is definitely a threat, but he is not consistent enough to be the "go to" guy.
    2. No NFL team will give up enough value to match what Gonzalez brings to the table. We saw last year, even with Tony having an excellent season, that no team was willing to offer any decent trade for him. So what is going to change now that he is one year older, and has no promise of delivering the same numbers as he has the last decade?
    With all of that said, this is still the very unpredictable NFL, and who knows what will happen. Any player can be traded at any time if the price is right. Although, in my heart of hearts I believe that we will see #88 in red and gold next year, catching numerous passes from our new quarterback, and dunking many footballs in the end zone this next season.
    Last edited by Coach; 03-29-2009 at 03:05 PM.