Thread: Chiefs Camp Buzz

Post Chiefs Camp Buzz

CHIEFS CAMP BUZZ

Derrick Johnson intercepted a tipped pass from Brodie Croyle on Wednesday.

For Herm, fighting isn’t way to goWednesday’s morning workout in River Falls was a spirited one for the Chiefs — and their fans, too.

A scuffle involving offensive lineman Will Svitek and defensive lineman Turk McBride caught the attention of the 200 or so nearby spectators. One of them responded with a throaty cheer: “Way to go, Will!”
    The comment wasn’t appreciated by Chiefs coach Herm Edwards, and he let the fan know it by yelling back from the field.

“No, that’s not the way to go,” Edwards said. “It’s embarrassing. He just got kicked out of the game. That’s the way to go, huh?”

Edwards was asked about the exchange during his post-practice media session.

“I hear and see everything,” he said. “When people make silly comments, they need to know about it. It’s never good when a player gets kicked out of a game. I don’t want a player to all of a sudden think it’s good to fight.”

NFL Europa meant most to Reid
    No Chiefs player was more disappointed to hear about the folding of NFL Europa than Nick Reid. The former Kansas linebacker had a standout season with the Frankfurt Galaxy and was a candidate for the league’s Defensive Player of the Year award.

“It’s terrible that (the league) won’t be around anymore,” Reid said. “It gives young guys a chance, like myself, to go out there and show some skills and keep playing ball.”

Reid knows he faces tough odds when it comes to making the Chiefs’ roster. He said his performance on special teams will probably be the deciding factor. He’s on all four special-teams units and starting on one.
    “There are 11 linebackers and seven of them were here last year,” Reid said. “… I’ve got to make the most out of every rep when I’m in there.”

Dunn bummed by lack of contact
    Tight end Jason Dunn said he’s hoping to resume contact drills within the next two weeks. Dunn hasn’t been involved in any contract drills since the end of last season.

“I’m kind of bummed out,” Dunn said. “Everyone is out there going hard, and I can’t be there with them. But I’ve got to be smart, because it’s a situation where you can’t take it too fast or you’ll put yourself back even further.”

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT …THE OFFENSE
    Michael Bennett had some nice runs during Wednesday’s early workout in full pads, but he also dropped a perfect pass over the middle … Running back Derrick Ross leveled safety Chad Williams on a run … Kris Wilson made a beautiful, over-the-shoulder catch in the right corner of the end zone on a pass from Brodie Croyle.

THE DEFENSE
    Linebacker Derrick Johnson was the standout of the morning practice. First he flattened running back Kolby Smith. A few minutes later, he stretched out for an impressive interception of a Damon Huard… Benny Sapp made a shoestring interception during the afternoon workout … Tackles McBride and Tank Tyler took reps with the first-team.… Safety Jarrad Page broke up a would-be touchdown pass to Tony Gonzalez.

INJURY REPORT
    Running back Priest Holmes (neck), tight end Jason Dunn (back), defensive tackle Alfonso Boone (finger) and linebacker Nate Harris (foot) did not practice.

CONTRACT WATCH
    Running back Larry Johnson is in a holdout and has yet to report to camp. Rookie wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, the Chiefs first-round draft pick, remains unsigned.

TODAY’S SCHEDULE
    The Chiefs will practice in the morning and afternoon.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

I gotta go along with Herm on that one; I feel so dirty.