Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LJ is keeping an 'open mind' about staying a chief

Default LJ is keeping an 'open mind' about staying a chief

Running back Larry Johnson could return to Chiefs, agent says - ESPN

I was suprised he will be atending team workouts, thats very unLJ like. I think its sounding more and more likely Larry will be a Chief next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefsFanOhio View Post
    There has to be a team out there that would be willing to pay his contract. LJ is still a premier back in the league. I say trade his butt for atleast some picks. Why cut him? Get nothing for him? Thats crazy. Im sure the Browns, Saints or even Bears would take a look at him. I could see the Saints getting him instead of drafting a RB such as Beanie Wells from Ohio State.
    Bears, I'd be shocked. Saints, most likely option. Browns, again very doubtful.

KC can always walk away from LJ's contract and salary but they will take a cap hit. Considering they are roughly $40mm under the cap last time I checked, I don't think they really care. KC can't walk away from the roughly $3.5mm in guaranteed money promised to LJ unless they win their grievance against him. The grievance is all about the guaranteed money, not salary. If the Chiefs had planned to keep LJ, they wouldn't have filed the grievance.

So the 2 most likely outcomes:
    1. KC wins grievance, LJ is cut and plays for another team. Once he is cut, he has no ties to KC and visa versa.
    2. KC loses grievance, LJ stays on the roster or could be traded. Regarding a trade via the draft, LJ would likely garner no more that a 4th-5th round pick at this point though. However he could be packaged with a pick that would help us move up a couple of spots to get someone. If he were part of a deal like that, they Chiefs could move up approximately 5-10 spots from the early 3rd round pick to a late 2nd round pick. A possible suitor could be Philly's pick at #52. Philly could use a guy like LJ backing up Westbook, and the Chiefs could go get Duke Robinson to play RG and begin the Brian Waters transition plan.

Lot's of speculation, but these are the likely outcomes.
    Last edited by Coach; 04-04-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Bears, I'd be shocked. Saints, most likely option. Browns, again very doubtful.

KC can always walk away from LJ's contract and salary but they will take a cap hit. Considering they are roughly $40mm under the cap last time I checked, I don't think they really care. KC can't walk away from the roughly $3.5mm in guaranteed money promised to LJ unless they win their grievance against him. The grievance is all about the guaranteed money, not salary. If the Chiefs had planned to keep LJ, they wouldn't have filed the grievance.

So the 2 most likely outcomes:
    1. KC wins grievance, LJ is cut and plays for another team. Once he is cut, he has no ties to KC and visa versa.
    2. KC loses grievance, LJ stays on the roster or could be traded. Regarding a trade via the draft, LJ would likely garner no more that a 4th-5th round pick at this point though. However he could be packaged with a pick that would help us move up a couple of spots to get someone. If he were part of a deal like that, they Chiefs could move up approximately 5-10 spots from the early 3rd round pick to a late 2nd round pick. A possible suitor could be Philly's pick at #52. Philly could use a guy like LJ backing up Westbook, and the Chiefs could go get Duke Robinson to play RG and begin the Brian Waters transition plan.

Lot's of speculation, but these are the likely outcomes.
    #2 sure sounds like something Paoli would do. And I see no reason that having won the grievance takes this kind of an option off the table. The Giants cut PB immediately. We haven't cut LJ. What is Paoli cooking in that witches brew?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123