Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GRETZ: Still Waiting For Bowe

Default GRETZ: Still Waiting For Bowe

GRETZ: Still Waiting For Bowe

Aug 03, 2007, 6:19:05 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

RIVER FALLS, WI – Sometimes you just can’t win.
    As the Chiefs sat in their draft war room this past April, considering their options with the 23rd choice in the first round, they zeroed in on wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.
    They liked so much about him, especially what he did on the field at LSU. There was really only one negative: his agent.

Or, in this case his agents. The firm representing Bowe has three partners, headed up by a fellow named Ethan Lock.

The Chiefs have a history with Lock. He was the agent for John Tait and he got into a shouting match with Carl Peterson some years back. Lock and his partners are not quick to do deals with draft choices. They never have been. They like others to establish the floor and ceiling before they’ll get into serious negotiations. In the business they are known as foot draggers.

This was very well known to the Chiefs as their allotted 15 minutes in the first round ticked away.

Still, they went ahead and drafted Bowe. Despite the problems they knew would come, they made the right football decision. A player like Bowe is just what the Chiefs needed on their roster, not only now, but in the future.

And now, they are suffering with the rest of the story. Bowe has missed the first week of training camp here in the north woods. He’s down in Atlanta with his former LSU teammate DeMarcus Russell, who as the No. 1 choice is also without a contract and is also represented by Lock and his firm.

Bowe has missed in the neighborhood of 150 to 200 practice snaps. He’s missed more time working on timing with quarterbacks Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle. He’s missed seven days of learning more about the playbook and the Chiefs offense.

It sounds like he’s going to miss even more. There’s been little progress in negotiations with Lock and his partners. The Chiefs communicate with them on almost a daily basis and basically end up back at the same place every time.

The Chiefs have made offers that exceed the overall percentage increase of the rest of the first round in both total money and guaranteed money. Still, that’s not good enough and those offers have been rejected by Bowe’s people.

What are they waiting for? What’s their motivation?

It’s fear. Bowe’s agents are afraid to make a commitment on a contract because 22nd pick Brady Quinn remains unsigned. Cleveland and the former Notre Dame quarterback are having trouble coming to an agreement. Quinn and his agent Tom Condon want a deal that exceeds what the 22nd pick would normally get because Quinn is a quarterback.

So they won’t make a move to finalize a deal with Bowe until they know what the ceiling is ahead of them. They already know what the floor is behind them at the No. 24 pick.

Lock and his crew are not trendsetters; they are followers. They basically allow other people to do their work, and then come in at the end when the outcome is obvious. That way, they either get the slotted figure, or they get something more and that makes them look better.

None of this has anything to do with their client. It’s all about their next clients, it’s all about their standing among the other agents who service draft choices. It’s a strange way to do business, climbing on the back of players who have signed on with you in hopes of impressing potential clients.

All this does is hurt Bowe. He’s missing valuable time. It’s not something he couldn’t overcome if he showed up by this weekend.

But if he remains out a week from now, there starts to be a problem. Bowe pulled a hamstring during the off-season program and his conditioning suffered. When the Chiefs shutdown operations near the end of June, he was out of shape and overweight. He may be working out with Russell down in Atlanta, but there’s little chance they are putting in the kind of work and hours they would if they were in a camp.

If the NFL re-opens its collective bargaining agreement next year with the players association, and there seems a good chance they will, the league needs to push hard for defined rookie salary scale, much like the NBA.

With that in place, Dwayne Bowe would be here in the north woods running routes against the Vikings this weekend instead of chasing down passes from the next Raiders quarterback.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

This just sucks. I am already pissed at him and he hasn't even dropped his first pass yet. He is a fool for starting his NFL career off like this!

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    This just sucks. I am already pissed at him and he hasn't even dropped his first pass yet. He is a fool for starting his NFL career off like this!
    Another optimist!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Agreed! The article shifts blame away from Bowe, but the fact of the matter is that if he was serious about securing his place on the team then he would fire his hack agent firm and go with an agent that would get the job done. JMHO

Looks like I better get to 50K in ArrowCash before the 8th of August! LOL!

and the wide receiver woes continue....I was hoping we were going to get a receiver that could develop into a poor mans Hines Ward.(not afraid of blocking downfield, going over the middle) I totally agree they (rookies) need to prove them selves first. It's not like he has completely impressed anyone so far!! Makes me really pull for Webb!

These agents are the scourge of the NFL.

The players are as guilty as the agents.

The players are as guilty as the agents.
    Yeah, for the most part. I still put more fault on the agents when it comes to rookies though.

Damn the NFL for not having Rookie Maximum limits.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Yeah, for the most part. I still put more fault on the agents when it comes to rookies though.

Damn the NFL for not having Rookie Maximum limits.
    Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, the NBA has em beat on this.... Oh God... I approved of something the NBA does. I think I'm going to be sick.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast