Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is why everybody thinks they are the next Michael Jordan.

Default This is why everybody thinks they are the next Michael Jordan.

Manchester United Recruits 9-Year-Old Standout After Watching Him on YouTube

Friday, August 03, 2007

Nine-year-old Rhain Davis has been recruited by Manchester United after team scouts saw him perform in a YouTube video.

The club brought in Rhain Davis after his grandfather sent a DVD to United youth staff showing the boy playing for an under-10 team in Brisbane, Australia.
    "Manchester United is proud of its history of developing talented young players, and invests considerable time and resources into trying to find the best young players of the future," the club said in a statement.

In Davis' case, however, United need only have invested four minutes. That is the length of a YouTube clip featuring Davis's dribbling, stepover and goal-scoring skills -- viewed more than 800,000 times on the site -- that has led fans to describe him as the next Wayne Rooney.

The club has downplayed such hype, pointing out that it recruits about 40 players of Davis' age every year, and that Davis' status with the club will be subject to the same annual review as any other youth player.

Davis has moved to England and is training with a United youth squad.

"Being here has been brilliant," The Sun newspaper quoted Davis as saying. "The best part has been meeting a lot of the players, like Wayne Rooney."
    Davis was born in England and has a British passport. His grandfather lives in England.

Copied from foxnews.com
    -------------------------------------------------

I find this totally ridiculous. The kid is nine and they recruit 40 players his age every year! What happens to these kids when the organization decides they aren't pro material? I'm sure some of them are crushed. Maybe to the point of having self-esteem/confidence issues in the future. Of course mommy and daddy (or grandpa, or whoever) don't think about the possibility of little Rhain or little Jimmy working as a grocery bagger the rest of their lives after their dreams are crushed. All they are seeing are fame and dollar signs. This is totally dispicable to me and I'm sure it happens in all other sports as well. (Just look at the little league world series and how early those kids are scouted by major league clubs.) This is the very reason that rookies hold out on contracts or superstars get into trouble, imo. They are spoiled! I guarantee you this kid's parents are gettin a boatload of money for this. SICK!
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

I agree, they do need to play on a competetive level to build their skill. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Coaching and development is essential to any aspiring pro. I just don't think that pro organizations should be able to get their talons into somebody that young. Let them develop in a situation where it's still about the game. Not how much your club is going to make IF this kid turns out to be great in the pros.

It's easy to love the game while having fame and fortune flashed in front of your face. Strahan always seemed to me like the kind of guy that loved the game. Going into early retirement because some guy in the same position makes more money than you says otherwise.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I agree, they do need to play on a competetive level to build their skill. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Coaching and development is essential to any aspiring pro. I just don't think that pro organizations should be able to get their talons into somebody that young. Let them develop in a situation where it's still about the game. Not how much your club is going to make IF this kid turns out to be great in the pros.

It's easy to love the game while having fame and fortune flashed in front of your face. Strahan always seemed to me like the kind of guy that loved the game. Going into early retirement because some guy in the same position makes more money than you says otherwise.
    Good point, and agreed!

I remember thinking that I was the next Michael Jordan.

I am the next MJ (of beer drinking) or possibly I am the new Marlboro man!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    I am the next MJ (of beer drinking) or possibly I am the new Marlboro man!!

...But without the lung cancer, emphaziema (sp), or whatever it was he died of.

Not yet anyway. It is a race between my lungs and my liver! :) The heart will be the dark horse!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Not yet anyway. It is a race between my lungs and my liver! :) The heart will be the dark horse!
    Heh! I'll probably die of Coffeyville pollutants or mold spores.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Heh! I'll probably die of Coffeyville pollutants or mold spores.

That's a scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    That's a scary thought.
    LOL!

It actually is. And, one reason I wanna get outta this dump some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    LOL!

It actually is. And, one reason I wanna get outta this dump some day.
    Don't blame you. It really is a consideration. New Orleans people will be suffering from that crap for years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast