Manchester United Recruits 9-Year-Old Standout After Watching Him on YouTube

Friday, August 03, 2007

Nine-year-old Rhain Davis has been recruited by Manchester United after team scouts saw him perform in a YouTube video.

The club brought in Rhain Davis after his grandfather sent a DVD to United youth staff showing the boy playing for an under-10 team in Brisbane, Australia.
"Manchester United is proud of its history of developing talented young players, and invests considerable time and resources into trying to find the best young players of the future," the club said in a statement.

In Davis' case, however, United need only have invested four minutes. That is the length of a YouTube clip featuring Davis's dribbling, stepover and goal-scoring skills -- viewed more than 800,000 times on the site -- that has led fans to describe him as the next Wayne Rooney.

The club has downplayed such hype, pointing out that it recruits about 40 players of Davis' age every year, and that Davis' status with the club will be subject to the same annual review as any other youth player.

Davis has moved to England and is training with a United youth squad.

"Being here has been brilliant," The Sun newspaper quoted Davis as saying. "The best part has been meeting a lot of the players, like Wayne Rooney."
Davis was born in England and has a British passport. His grandfather lives in England.

Copied from foxnews.com
-------------------------------------------------

I find this totally ridiculous. The kid is nine and they recruit 40 players his age every year! What happens to these kids when the organization decides they aren't pro material? I'm sure some of them are crushed. Maybe to the point of having self-esteem/confidence issues in the future. Of course mommy and daddy (or grandpa, or whoever) don't think about the possibility of little Rhain or little Jimmy working as a grocery bagger the rest of their lives after their dreams are crushed. All they are seeing are fame and dollar signs. This is totally dispicable to me and I'm sure it happens in all other sports as well. (Just look at the little league world series and how early those kids are scouted by major league clubs.) This is the very reason that rookies hold out on contracts or superstars get into trouble, imo. They are spoiled! I guarantee you this kid's parents are gettin a boatload of money for this. SICK!