Bills' Whitner zapped, arrested in Cleveland melee

By KANTELE FRANKO

Associated Press Writer

Buffalo Bills defensive back Donte Whitner was shocked with a stun gun and arrested by officers trying to control a rowdy crowd outside a Cleveland nightclub, police said.
Whitner, 23, was jailed early Saturday for aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, Lt. Thomas Stacho said. The former Ohio State star was released later Saturday and hadn't been charged, police said. A prosecutor was to decide whether to file charges.
Police shocked and handcuffed Whitner outside the House of Blues after he forced his way past them and then broke free from officers trying to restrain him, Stacho said.
Stacho said police heard reports that Miami Dolphins wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. was having a birthday party at the downtown venue but couldn't confirm whether Whitner was attending. Whitner and Ginn were high school teammates and played for the Buckeyes.
Whitner said he regrets the incident.
"It's not how I wish to conduct myself, and I apologize to all those involved," he said in a statement released through his agent, Neil Cornrich.
Whitner is the third Bills player to run into trouble with the law this year.
Police in South Carolina say they arrested 25-year-old safety Ko Simpson outside a bar in his hometown, Rock Hill, early New Year's Day when he interfered with officers trying to arrest his friends. Simpson's lawyer earlier wouldn't discuss the case; a prosecutor said Simpson had asked to enter a program that would remove from his record a charge of hindering police.
Running back Marshawn Lynch was arrested near Los Angeles in February when police found a weapon in a parked car. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge and was sentenced to 80 hours of community service and probation. He also was suspended for three games without pay by the NFL for violating the league's personal-conduct policy.
A Bills spokesman said Saturday the team wouldn't comment on Whitner until it had more information.
AP Sports Writer John Wawrow contributed to this report from Buffalo, N.Y.