Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Legit chance for starting QB

Question Legit chance for starting QB

with matt now in the line up at QB it's going to be one fight for starter thigpen proved himself last season croyle shows flashs here and there do you guys think that their will be a legit chance for croyle and thigpen to take the job or are they just going to hand the job to matt. I know they already said it's anyones job but I don't belive that. I personal think if croyle stays heathy he is are best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by kcallin View Post
    I know thats what is most likely to happen but I am still pullin for Tyler.
    IMO Tyler Thigpen is a great QB and has the potential to became a famous one too. But unfortunately for him, I would rather see Matt Cassell for starter in the up-coming season. Sorry Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    Does that mean you have no faith in the judgement of Pioli by bringing Cassell to the team? I for one believe in what Pioli is doing and his judgement towards the QB situation is right on. Tyler Thigpen is a great back up, he has the ability to step in and move the ball but his ability to run the team as a starter IMO is nill as the record of the team reflects his ability to win. I know we can't blame it all on him as our Defense had a bit to do with it but the passes that were picked on Thiggy had alot to do with the losses we had that were inside of 5 points or less. If he could have turned those INT's into TDs we would have been much better than 2 - 14.
    It's not wrong to question the judgment of Pioli. By all means, you should question every move he makes so you can completely understand it. The fact that Matt Cassel has not been signed long term means that Pioli is not all on board with Cassel. Just because he has a high cap number and used our second round pick for him does not mean that he is the man that Pioli wants. Who knows what Pioli is thinking. If it was me, I take this as a great opportunity to take a QB. Let's break down Cassel as if he was a rookie QB. First of all, he's got good QB size, weight, and speed. He moves around the pocket well and has decent pocket presence. He can make a lot of different throws even though he chooses not to throw the deep ball most of the time. He tends/prefers to make the short accurate throw and make the receiver gain more yards after the catch. He has played at NFL speed, so the transition period for him will not take as much time, just a matter of learning and implementing the playbook. That is just a few things about Matt Cassel and when you compare that to Matt Stafford, let's look at the benefits. It did not cost us our first round pick. The Chiefs have the flexibility to sign Matt Cassel after the season to a long-term contract instead of having to do one of those ridiculous rookie first round QB contracts. And Cassel has game experience, and while he did play for a great offense with the Patriots, it's a matter that he learned the timing and the speed of the game. He was the best QB available this off-season between FA and draft. So it was the best thing to do when the QB situation was not resolved. However, Cassel could turn out to be a bust, but the good thing is that he is not locked down with a huge salary, so we could cut him after the season is over if we choose to. To lose our second round and 14 million instead of a first round and a 30 million dollar contract, yeah, Pioli made the right decision. He's at least keeping the Chiefs' options open.

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk92 View Post
    with matt now in the line up at QB it's going to be one fight for starter thigpen proved himself last season croyle shows flashs here and there do you guys think that their will be a legit chance for croyle and thigpen to take the job or are they just going to hand the job to matt. I know they already said it's anyones job but I don't belive that. I personal think if croyle stays heathy he is are best bet.
    LOLOLOLOL!!!!!! omg that is hilarious. EVERY game Broken Croyle has started he has been hurt. Yeah buddy, he is REAL good isn't he? Perfect Quarterback for a starter. Broken Croyle sucks and needs to bag groceries for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by d-bowe fan View Post
    idc what your o-line is it mostly never affects how you throw the ball and where....your cp should not be 76%i think thats what thiggy had...anyway getting sacked doesnt affect it.
    I won't even comment on this one.

completion percentage is CP
    Good to know.

idc what your o-line is it mostly never affects how you throw the ball and where....your cp should not be 76%i think thats what thiggy had...anyway getting sacked doesnt affect it.
    A good o-line takes pressure off of the quarterback. It lets him build confidence, analyze the play at hand, and make a make a good completion without having to worry as much about eating turf. A good o-line buys more time for a play to develop, allowing receivers to run their routes and find holes in the defense, and with time holes will appear (that was the problem with our defense last year, our secondary were made to look a lot worse than they were due to a terrible front 7). A good o-line allows for a good running game, providing balance to the offense, keeping the defense on their toes, thereby making the quaterbacks job easier.

An offensive line has just as much to do with a quarterback's completion percentage as the quarterback does, if it didn't, linemen wouldn't be top round draft prospects and Jay Cutler would be just another quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    A good o-line takes pressure off of the quarterback. It lets him build confidence, analyze the play at hand, and make a make a good completion without having to worry as much about eating turf. A good o-line buys more time for a play to develop, allowing receivers to run their routes and find holes in the defense, and with time holes will appear (that was the problem with our defense last year, our secondary were made to look a lot worse than they were due to a terrible front 7). A good o-line allows for a good running game, providing balance to the offense, keeping the defense on their toes, thereby making the quaterbacks job easier.

An offensive line has just as much to do with a quarterback's completion percentage as the quarterback does, if it didn't, linemen wouldn't be top round draft prospects and Jay Cutler would be just another quarterback.
    I agree. A good O-line gives the QB evrything he needs to make a good play and since that we have a new QB that was just traded for and that has never played on the team that they have been traded to, it's good for them to be confident that the O-line can protect them.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    I agree. A good O-line gives the QB evrything he needs to make a good play and since that we have a new QB that was just traded for and that has never played on the team that they have been traded to, it's good for them to be confident that the O-line can protect them.
    Yep, I don't know how far back you've looked into football, or into other teams, but if you expect a quarterback to be a savior without an O-Line you get Joey Harrington (Matt Stafford could end up the same way, he could be a good quarterback, maybe great depending on the team, I haven't followed the Lions much, but unless they improve their line, he's going to be a "bust," and in the NFL, especially as a QB, you typically only get one shot).

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk92 View Post
    how long has croyle been with the chiefs about 3 yrs we are giving up on him to soon once we establish a good o-line were he is not under pressure every play then croyle will shine. I know it's hard to believe but you'll see
    Thigpen played under the same offense as Croyle and he made it through the season. and he ran the ball half of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Yeah, no offense but this is nuts. Croyle stinks. Cassel's our starter - he'll be signed long term sometime before the regular season. Thigpen is a gadget guy and decent backup. He'll be trade bait in 2010. Croyle will be cut preseason. And that's just the way it is.

Thigpen's stats were not too far off of Cassels last year if I remember . I hope we keep him around. I know that were are gonna play matt otherwise why spend the money to bring him here.

Tyler Thigpen | #4 | QB
    Kansas City Chiefs | Official Team Site

Height: 6-1 Weight: 224 Age: 25
    Born: 4/14/1984 Winnsboro , SC
    College: Coastal Carolina
    Experience: 3rd season
    High School: Fairfield Central HS [Winnsboro, SC]

team rosters quick stats (2008)
    Select a Team Arizona Cardinals Atlanta Falcons Baltimore Ravens Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers Chicago Bears Cincinnati Bengals Cleveland Browns Dallas Cowboys Denver Broncos Detroit Lions Green Bay Packers Houston Texans Indianapolis Colts Jacksonville Jaguars Kansas City Chiefs Miami Dolphins Minnesota Vikings New England Patriots New Orleans Saints New York Giants New York Jets Oakland Raiders Philadelphia Eagles Pittsburgh Steelers San Diego Chargers San Francisco 49ers Seattle Seahawks St. Louis Rams Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tennessee Titans Washington Redskins
    TDS 18
    INT 12
    YDS 2,608
    RTG 76.0

Matt Cassel | #7 | QB
    Kansas City Chiefs | Official Team Site

Height: 6-4 Weight: 230 Age: 26
    Born: 5/17/1982 Northridge , CA
    College: USC
    Experience: 5th season
    High School: Chatsworth HS [CA]

team rosters quick stats (2008)
    Select a Team Arizona Cardinals Atlanta Falcons Baltimore Ravens Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers Chicago Bears Cincinnati Bengals Cleveland Browns Dallas Cowboys Denver Broncos Detroit Lions Green Bay Packers Houston Texans Indianapolis Colts Jacksonville Jaguars Kansas City Chiefs Miami Dolphins Minnesota Vikings New England Patriots New Orleans Saints New York Giants New York Jets Oakland Raiders Philadelphia Eagles Pittsburgh Steelers San Diego Chargers San Francisco 49ers Seattle Seahawks St. Louis Rams Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tennessee Titans Washington Redskins
    TDS 21
    INT 11
    YDS 3,693
    RTG 89.4

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast