Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Taylor Next???

Default Jason Taylor Next???

It just dawned on me that there is a pretty good possibility that Zach Thomas brother in law Jason Taylor might be wearing the old red n gold this season. I mean, it would make a perfect fit for the Chiefs, and Taylor. We need a good defensive end, and hes the best one available on the market. Taylor, who played for years alongside Thomas in Miami, would probably be very open to joining forces again in Kansas City.

I think this would be an excellent pickup, and would definitely bring yet another layer of depth, and experience to a rapidly improving defense. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    No way in hell can Jason Taylor play DE in a 3-4. He is 245 lbs soaking wet, another reason it's not a good fit.
    That is why he would be a DE/OLB Tweener, which is someone who can play, and swap beTWEEN both spots, just like Peppers and soon to be drafted Brian Orakpo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Garilla View Post
    That is why he would be a DE/OLB Tweener, which is someone who can play, and swap beTWEEN both spots, just like Peppers and soon to be drafted Brian Orakpo.
    Well, one of the reasons no one has traded for Peppers is that no one thinks he can handle a hybrid role, and they aren't willing to shell out big money to take a chance on it. And I'll bet Orakpo goes to a team that runs a traditional 4-3 and he plays as such.

Most DEs can't just make the move to a 3-4 OLB. They don't have the speed or the coverage abilities. And I don't think JT will want to make that adjustment in his last couple seasons

Why would the Chiefs sign a 244 lb. player as a DE in the 3-4 scheme? Taylor would be the OLB, and it wouldn't be a bad signing either considering he was DPOY at that position in 2006.

LOLB: Mike Vrabel
    ILB: Zach Thomas
    ILB: Derrick Johnson
    ROLB: Jason Taylor

It's a one year stop gap, but that would solidify your linebacking core instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsWin View Post
    Why would the Chiefs sign a 244 lb. player as a DE in the 3-4 scheme? Taylor would be the OLB, and it wouldn't be a bad signing either considering he was DPOY at that position in 2006.

LOLB: Mike Vrabel
    ILB: Zach Thomas
    ILB: Derrick Johnson
    ROLB: Jason Taylor

It's a one year stop gap, but that would solidify your linebacking core instantly.
    Well, except that JT probably won't want to play ROLB in a 3-4. I doubt he wants to deal with covering TEs and defending the run to the extent that position would require.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlamerson View Post
    Well, except that JT probably won't want to play ROLB in a 3-4. I doubt he wants to deal with covering TEs and defending the run to the extent that position would require.
    Actually I remember reading a lot about how he was excited about possibly returning to the Dolphins (now running a 3-4) and lining up opposite Joey Porter. So we'll see, I still don't think the signing makes sense. No team should have 3 34+ starters at LB. That's why the Pats are starting to get younger in their front 7 these days.

I would love to see Jason in a chiefs uniform but I don't think he wants to play with a team that is rebuilding

Jason Taylor

Height: 6-6
    Weight: 255
    Position: Defensive End
    College: University of Akron
    Born: Sept. 1, 1974

With a rare blend of determination, charisma and athleticism, the new face of the Washington Redskins, Jason Taylor has taken the sports and entertainment worlds by storm and isn’t looking back. Since entering the league in 1997, he has become one of the most feared defenders on the field in the NFL and a rising star off the field, judging by his performance on ABC’s Dancing with the Stars this season. Jason will now pursue his ultimate football dream of winning the 2009 Super Bowl!

A recipient of the 2007 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award

Looks like Im not the only one who feels this way about trying to get Taylor.

Chiefs need to sign Jason Taylor
    April 13, 2009 4:58 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
    The Kansas City Chiefs need to take the Zach Thomas addition one step further and sign his brother-in-law, Jason Taylor.
    Taylor A Thomas-Taylor reunion (they starred together for years in Miami) would be perfect as the Chiefs move forward.
    Yes, Taylor is older -- he will be 35 in September -- but it's clear new Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli wants to sprinkle his young roster with veterans at key positions. Pioli came over from New England, where adding older players was the norm. So far this offseason, he has traded for linebacker Mike Vrabel and agreed to terms with Thomas. Taylor would give Kansas City's green defense a third savvy veteran for the short term.
    Taylor wouldn't simply offer experience as the Chiefs transition to the 3-4 defensive scheme. He'd give Kansas City a much-needed asset: A pass-rusher.
    The Chiefs set an NFL record in 2009 for the fewest sacks in a season with 10. Taylor may no longer be a dominant pass-rusher, but he still has a few years left.
    Signing a player like Taylor could go a long way toward the Chiefs being relevant in 2009. Kansas City's offense is solid. The Chiefs' progress depends on its defense. Taylor, who has been linked to New England and Miami, is needed in Kansas City.
    Now, let's see if his brother-in-law can talk him into it.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    The missing link here is wether or not Pioli and Haley want the old man on the team. Why would they ? He can't pass rush like he used to , he has been riddled in injury, he isn't worth the time unless he is basically minimum wage which is about $450,000 per year. Maybe a 1 yr contract at minimum wage would be worth a shot and put an incentive in it , more sacks equls more money.
    Taylor's declining ability is still better then anything we have on the roster atm.

And the Chiefs have more then enough cap space to spend before we even hit the minimum requiste for the 2009 season.

That being said, I for one don't expect to see him in KC.

Default hell ya

that sounds killer hell ya but i doubt it will happen but ya im with you it very easily could warpath baby gettin done in the free agency this year keep them fingers crossed man ill be there to

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast