Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glenn Coffee as RB from Alabama

Default Glenn Coffee as RB from Alabama

I think this guy would be a great pick-up for anyone in later rounds. He's a tough runner and always wants the extra yard. He is a pretty balanced player with speed, power and pass catching.

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    I'm not saying we need to cut running the ball out all together, I am just saying LJ will not work with the scheme. We should dump him off and find a back that can do both, without worrying about if he gets the ball or not.

Here is LJ's problem. If he is going to play, he wants the ball. So he can "make a play", he has become a greedy ball hog ever since we stopped running it with him alot.
    Corey Dillon was exactly the same back as LJ. Though a single-dimension back, a cancer, and past his prime, he helped the Pats to two SBs. Given a real coach and GM for the first time, LJ might just thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Correct.

And besides, Lamerson, I said he would be a good pick-up for ANYONE in the later rounds.

Regardless, if we keep LJ or not, we still need competition at the RB spot and if I recall, other than LJ, we do not have a power type runner that can catch AND block.

Shonne Green would not be a bad idea either. I am sure the Pioli group is NOT ruling out anything that may improve the team although RB's may be lower on the list.
    Shonn will be gone before the Chiefs are willing to use a pick on a running back. I agree that Coffee is a good late round pack. I worry that Shonn Greene and Javon Ringer have too many carries under their belt already, and if the Chiefs could get a quality back they wouldn't have to worry about LJ holding them hostage.

Well, Coffee ran a 4.5 40 at pro day and runs just as hard with the pads on. He also rushed for almost 1400 yards last year and that was accomplished in the SEC..Not the Big 10 or Big 12. ;-) Just as well..He does not have the work or weight ethic issues either.

On another quick note, whilst Walker Football . com says Coffee is "light" at 6' and 209lbs. they should note that he was in the top 10 of 46 in bench press reps. I believe Shonn Greene was a little week with a walloping 19 reps for a 230 lb guy?

Shonn Greene, Iowa
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 227.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.63.
    Pro Day 40 Time: 4.55.
    Benchx225: 19. Vertical: 39. Broad: 10-6.
    Projected Round (2009): 2-3.

Glen Coffee, Alabama
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 209.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.49.
    Combine 40 Time: 4.58.
    Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 36. Broad: 10-1.
    Projected Round (2009): 5.

Northwestern, Iowa State, Pitt and Indiana were where he had some bigs games...From the highlight reel I seen, I think a lot of credit goes to the O Line! LMAO!! Gawd! If you don't get touched by the time you get 10 yards up field, then hit a DB at full speed....I would tend to think you could, would and should amass some serious yardage! ;-)

Sorry but it just comes down to who has the best highlight reel in this case! hehe

I left out Maine and Purdue as well....LMAO!!

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    You say Big 10 and Big 12 as if those are lesser divisions of NCAA.

In this era, I would have to say that they are. You can throw the WAC in there to if it makes you feel better! Just ribbin' ya!

from 2000 - 2009 the SEC has won 4 National titles 2 for Florida and 2 for LSU, Big 12 had 2 as Oklahoma had 1 and Texas 1, The Big Ten had 1 ,Ohio State had 1, Pac 10 has 1 , USC - 1 , ACC has 1 , Miami - 1 So if you count National titles yea they have dominated that but I am one of those guys that thinks the system is still too based around popularity . I would be willing to bet, if and when the NCAA has a playoff system installed things will change across the entire US Division wise. I don't think for once that Iowa would be in the National title picture but I think the Big Ten would have won more than 1. The Big 12 would have definately won more than 1 as well, between Texas,Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State , one of those teams would have been in it. I also think USC would have been in it as well, the thing is in a playoff system anyone of those teams could beat one another and definately defeat Florida orLSU, the Iowa Hawkeyes beat both Florida and LSU in this era in bowl games. That says something there as those are the only SEC Teams that won National title from 2000 - 2009, interesting huh?
    College Football Nation: National Champions: 2000-2009
    - USC split the national title in 2003 with LSU so they technically won 2.

- The Big Ten has been represented by Ohio State in 3 National titles (Twice in consecutive years) since 2000

- The bowl system/conference system is a revolving door of dominance between the FBS conferences: Big 12, Big 10, SEC, PAC-10, ACC all hit their strides at different times with this decade belonging to the SEC (Florida and LSU in particular)

- I think the exclusion of the Mountain West is a bit biased and Boise State/FSU/UH have given some sembleance of respectability to the WAC. I think it'd be best to include them in the FBS and have a shot at BCS bowls on a yearly basis (i.e. that Boise State/OU game)

I don't know where I'm going with this.

Actually thats cool info because it explains how Ohio State may have been one of the more dominating teams in the decade proving Big Ten is a contender in the FBS. I would venture to say that Oklahoma is also one of the decades power house teams as is USC, all 3 of these teams have been in it almost every year in the #1 spot atleast one time a year every year except last year. Ohio State had issues last year.
    Some schools should be considered non-factors then if you want to consider a conference as a whole because they're perennial contenders throughout time really regardless of the strength of their individual conferences. Even in down years or 'rebuilding years' certain schools still seem to be in the hunt for a BCS game

Not saying those conferences are not contenders but all of us know how tough the SEC is and it is pretty much proven that when it comes to championship games, the SEC has proven that they are better. Sorry, that it just the way it is. For example, a 2-loss LSU team spanks Ohio State in a game where OSU should have been the domineer.

Seriously...I like the Big 12 because i lived in Wichita for 22 years which is one reason why I became a Chiefs fan many moons ago but to sit around the campfire and say that the SEC isn't any better would just be wrong! LOL! Kudos to the Big 12 because they have vastly improved over the past several years in their entirety....Not just a couple of good teams.

You mean the Big 12 actually just started being better? What about the Nebraska teams that the SEC Florida and ACC Miami teams could never defeat? Tom Osbournes system dominated College football for a very long stint. Since his retirement, the SEC and ACC has just started to get some notariaty.
    I would not go as far as to say Osbornes system "dominated for a very long stint" but I do give props to him for the great accomplishments. And as far as the SEC getting notoriety due to Osborne's retirement....The record shows that the SEC won a championship right before Osborne won two and for the record, the SEC holds more championships (18) than the Big 12.

I believe my comment (compliment) was that "as a whole" the Big 12 has gotten better. Yes, Nebraska was a very good team for a long time and undeniabley so.

7 of the past 10 years the title has belonged to SEC or ACC Teams. I belive 5 of 10 were to SEC Teams. I included the ACC because they are in the SE region which undoubtedly is a top competitor and neighbor to the SEC.

This is the link I used...

NCAA College Football Division 1A Past Champions

It's all good though, right?
    Last edited by dbolan; 04-21-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123