Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veterans staying away from Kansas City Camp

Default Veterans staying away from Kansas City Camp

I was just reading this article at espn.com.afcwest blog and found it interesting, and unnerving.

Veterans staying away from Kansas City camp
    April 18, 2009 2:38 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson
    Two of Kansas City's three disgruntled (or formally disgruntled) players are not practicing with the team Saturday at its voluntary minicamp Saturday.
    Guard Brian Waters and tight end Tony Gonzalez _-- the Chiefs' two Pro Bowl players from 2008 __ are not practicing the Kansas City Star reports. Running back Larry Johnson is with the team. His agent said Thursday he would practice and that Johnson is excited about being in Kansas City.
    With Waters and Gonzalez sitting out Saturday's practice, does that mean neither of them are excited about being in Kansas City? Quite possibly, yes.
    I think the fact that Waters is missing is more interesting than the fact that Gonzalez is missing. The Kansas City Star reports notes that Gonzalez has missed voluntary camps in the past.
    But, you would think Gonzalez would want to get a jump on the new era in Kansas City. So, maybe this is a subtle message to the Chiefs to try to trade him before or during next weekend's draft. It has been previously reported that Atlanta has been trying to acquire Gonzalez.
    His absence will be duly noted by new Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli and new coach Todd Haley. Still, I believe, if Gonzalez is not traded next week, he will show up to the mandatory minicamp in June. Gonzalez is not one to make waves and he has too much respect for his time in Kansas City to cause a major disruption.
    In Waters' case, though, I believe the fact that he is not practicing is a strong message. The Kansas City Star reported earlier this offseason that Waters wants to be traded because he got off on the wrong foot with Haley. His absence may be a sign of him trying to force the issue.
    I could see a scenario where the Chiefs try to trade Waters - Buffalo could be interested - for a mid-round draft choice. Whatever happens, Saturday's development shows not all is right in Kansas City.

If this is the case, that's not too good of a sign for KC. I think it definitely shows their lack of interest in the team, heck even LJ is there and supportive. Maybe Tony is playing some basketball in SOCAL, but whats the deal with Waters?

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCityChris View Post
    More KC Star controversy. Keep in mind that it is a voluntary minicamp.LJ needs to show his support after what happened but, the other 2 most likely won't show up until they have to and it means nothing until then. TO didn't show up the first voluntary minicampfor the Bills, does that mean he isn't excited about being a Bill? Hell no, all this means is they didn't want to participate in voluntary minicamp, nothing more. The KC Star just sits back and salivates over the prospect of all this blowing up in Pioli and Haley's face. I personally think they are Chiefs haters and until I see them reporting posotive stuff I will most likely make this the last post I give for any KC Star reportings as they just can't let the negativity go, no wonder the team has been without a Championship for 40 yrs.
    I think they're on the side which sells the most newspapers, and next to the playoffs and player scandal, management turnover is pretty high up there as far as a popular story, they'll come around when we reach the playoffs.

On a side note, I'm one of the jerks that allows them to keep on writing. I pick up the KC Star everyday before breakfast, free of course, just to see what kind of stupid story they have for the day. The last one I read had an article on the Royals by Fatlock, ragging on Hillman over the Cleveland loss. Take Ponson out and lose and he looks bad, keep him in and he looks bad, if the Royals lose he's a villain, if not he and Farnsworth had just another outing. This is the first season in a while that Royals fans have had something to be optimistic about. I hate myself for reading that garbage, even if it is for kicks and giggles. I do feel they will start bandwagoning though if the Royals keep on winning.

Thanks Aussie!

Its optional Gonzo and Waters played hard last season, they probably taking it easy, maybe hitting the weight room at home.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

More KC Star controversy. Keep in mind that it is a voluntary minicamp.LJ needs to show his support after what happened but, the other 2 most likely won't show up until they have to and it means nothing until then. TO didn't show up the first voluntary minicampfor the Bills, does that mean he isn't excited about being a Bill? Hell no, all this means is they didn't want to participate in voluntary minicamp, nothing more. The KC Star just sits back and salivates over the prospect of all this blowing up in Pioli and Haley's face. I personally think they are Chiefs haters and until I see them reporting posotive stuff I will most likely make this the last post I give for any KC Star reportings as they just can't let the negativity go, no wonder the team has been without a Championship for 40 yrs.

But also keep in mind that Haley had asked that all the players attend. Haley and Pioli may have known they would not be there and there could be a good reason for it. We just don't know.

You guys are probably right, I just want the whole team together working as much as possible.

Dammit I had a feeling when I heard that there were some players missing, that they would be the ones..

I hope Waters isn't pulling the "Primadonna" routine on us, but IF he is, then atleast we have a shot at Monroe in the draft, and then Albert at LG. But I wan't Curry dammit!

Im not that worried about TG, I can't imagine him destroying his reputation in KC, by causing big trouble when it becomes crunch time..

I also find this a bit unnerving because this could indicate that Tony Gonzalez actually DOES want out of KC. I hope for dear life that it doesn't mean that because I am a big fan of TG, but I can't get the thought out of my mind that he wants out. I guess only time will tell from here and iff he isn't gone by the Pre-season IMO he's gonna be staying in KC until he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    I also find this a bit unnerving because this could indicate that Tony Gonzalez actually DOES want out of KC. I hope for dear life that it doesn't mean that because I am a big fan of TG, but I can't get the thought out of my mind that he wants out. I guess only time will tell from here and iff he isn't gone by the Pre-season IMO he's gonna be staying in KC until he retires.
    The only reason he wanted out is because CP had the team heading in a different direction. It doesn't help when the team is losing and the coach calls a pass to Mark Bradley or whatever during a game AT HOME when Tony need ONE TD Catch to break the record. He simply wanted to do that at home, it would have been more of an honor at home than anywhere else.

Now, Gonzalez sees that the dice have been rolled, and we are moving the right direction. The last 3 years, the Chiefs havn't been competitive, TG wanted to move on to a team that was. Now, he need not worry.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    The only reason he wanted out is because CP had the team heading in a different direction. It doesn't help when the team is losing and the coach calls a pass to Mark Bradley or whatever during a game AT HOME when Tony need ONE TD Catch to break the record. He simply wanted to do that at home, it would have been more of an honor at home than anywhere else.

Now, Gonzalez sees that the dice have been rolled, and we are moving the right direction. The last 3 years, the Chiefs havn't been competitive, TG wanted to move on to a team that was. Now, he need not worry.
    Fair enouph......

Hey guys, these were voluntary mini camp drills. Alot of vets sit these out every year on alot of different teams.
    Yea, I'm not going to read to much into it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast