Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs Cut Robinson, Sign TE

Default Chiefs Cut Robinson, Sign TE

Why do the Chiefs keep cutting promising young receivers? I really do not understand this. Robinson at least had potential on special teams and was a draft pick from last year. This is the second receiver that we drafted last year and cut this year. I am starting to wonder if we are thinking Crabtree (or maybe we at least want other teams to think we are leaning that way to force a trade)?

Also, we signed a TE. Could this indicate something about the Tony situation?

Kansas City - Pro Football Weekly

Robinson was a WR only in title. As far as I can remember, he didn't play a snap at receiver last season and his only purpose on the team was as a return guy. I don't see how this would increase or decrease the chances of drafting Crabtree, which I think is still at about 0%.

Anyways, what do you expect? He was a Herm/King Carl guy brought in for returns only, and didn't show any promise in that area. His return averages were bad, and he had a couple fumbles too if I'm not mistaken. Kind of weird to call him promising, in my opinion.

I didn't expect Will Franklin to be cut, but after Franklin was released it became pretty clear Robinson probably would be too.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Why do the Chiefs keep cutting promising young receivers? I really do not understand this. Robinson at least had potential on special teams and was a draft pick from last year. This is the second receiver that we drafted last year and cut this year. I am starting to wonder if we are thinking Crabtree (or maybe we at least want other teams to think we are leaning that way to force a trade)?

Also, we signed a TE. Could this indicate something about the Tony situation?

Kansas City - Pro Football Weekly
    Pioli and Haley didn't think Robinson or Franklin has any promise - that's why they cut them. We aren't drafting Crabtree - we still have seven WRs on the roster.

I know people hate to believe that we might have drafted bad players last draft, but Pioli and Haley seem to think we did.

We signed the TE for depth. Although we might still trade TG, I think we probably would have signed our new TE anyway. We'll probably sign/draft someone else if we end up trading TG.

EDIT: What yashi said

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Kind of weird to call him promising, in my opinion.
    You are probably right about that. I guess I was using the term "promising" loosely. What I really meant is that he is a recent draft pick and, in my opinion, we did not give him enough time to see if he would live up to his potential.

In all honesty I am more disappointed that we cut Franklin, and I was just shocked that we let another young receiver go so early.

You are acting like Robinson had no potential, but I for one remember how bad Dante looked during his first season as a return man. Sometimes it takes a little time. I guess we will never know now.
    Last edited by wildcat; 04-22-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    You are acting like Franklin had no potential, but I for one remember how bad Dante looked during his first season as a return man. Sometimes it takes a little time. I guess we will never know now.
    I actually did think Franklin had potential, especially as a deep threat since he was blazing fast, only a hundreth of a second slower than Charles in the 40, and also because Bradley is so injury prone so I figured at least one of them should usually be healthy enough to play.

He also had good size for as fast as he is.... kind of sad, I would have rather kept him than Webb, but oh well.

Edit: Just realized you meant Robinson....... which makes my entire post meaningless. Oops!

They are preparing to be done with TG. It will happen!

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Edit: Just realized you meant Robinson....... which makes my entire post meaningless. Oops!
    Sorry, that's my bad. I agree with what you said about Franklin though. It would have been interesting to see how Haley might have stretched the field with Franklin's speed. I am sure Pioli and Haley have a good plan though.

It is clear to me that Haley and Pioli didn't think much of Herm and his Drafting. But couldn't they at least wait until training camp to see these guys play under their scheme to determin if they still want to cut them. It is not like they are making millions.

Look out Jeff Webb, you are next.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    It is clear to me that Haley and Pioli didn't think much of Herm and his Drafting. But couldn't they at least wait until training camp to see these guys play under their scheme to determin if they still want to cut them. It is not like they are making millions.

Look out Jeff Webb, you are next.
    Actually..."Anybody" could be next. That's how they "roll"!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbolan View Post
    Actually..."Anybody" could be next. That's how they "roll"!!
    This is how I Roll!!

The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast